• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recycling and comics

38 posts in this topic

Where I live, the city picks up the recyclable materials twice a month, but we don't get money for it...

What about re-claimed lumber? That's recycling, and I know of an old house in the woods that has some great 12"+ boards that might bring some good money, if I could figure out how to get it out of a couple miles of woods...

-slym

We only get money for cans and bottles that we paid a deposit on. It's really just getting your money back. We can't sell scrap without a salvage license in this state, otherwise people would be ripping the copper pipes out of your walls, and ripping hoods off cars for batteries while we are at work. Crankster theives screwed that one up for us. The comic store here is not allowed to buy private collections due to a city ordinance because people kept ripping people off.

Where I live, the city picks up the recyclable materials twice a month, but we don't get money for it...

What about re-claimed lumber? That's recycling, and I know of an old house in the woods that has some great 12"+ boards that might bring some good money, if I could figure out how to get it out of a couple miles of woods...

-slym

I think that might count as theft.. hm

but it would still count! (thumbs u

-slym

We only get money for cans and bottles that we paid a deposit on. It's really just getting your money back. We can't sell scrap without a salvage license in this state, otherwise people would be ripping the copper pipes out of your walls, and ripping hoods off cars for batteries while we are at work. Crankster theives screwed that one up for us. The comic store here is not allowed to buy private collections due to a city ordinance because people kept ripping people off.

Where do you live, because I never want to move there

-slym

I'll keep that under my hat to protect the innocent.

I thought this was going to be about recycling comics. Every time I'm at a convention and see a box of books (mostly from the 1990s) priced at 10 cents each, I think, "Those books would be better off in the recycle bin."

Amen.

It's time to bring back comic burning...

:cloud9:

---------

---------

-----------

criminey, makes it really hard for all sorts of businesses to operate. no pawn shops either? sounds unamerican to me.

---------

---------

-----------

criminey, makes it really hard for all sorts of businesses to operate. no pawn shops either? sounds unamerican to me.

Pawn shops are allowed to operate with a licensed pawnbroker. They are required to notify local police of certain types of aquisitions. Scrap metal can also be purchased, but the seller must provide picture identification and log into a state registry. It's all done to protect peoples private property, I understand that, but crimeny, law, after law, after law in this state.

So was NC (where I live) until this last election... but we have scrap-yards here.

(shrug)

-slym

We do too, you just can't anonymously sell them scrap. I guess I just have to face the fact there's a criminal subculture here that will take advantage of a good thing. They were ripping copper out of tranformers, and stripping new home construction sites of new brass plumbing. Hopefully it's not coming to a state near you.

I just recycled yesterday. I had 4 big trash bags of plastic bottles, 1 of cans and a bunch of glass.

I got $32 for the whole thing. based on a supposed .03 a bottle there must have been just over 1000. I would guess that that was about 3-4 months worth so i might have $100 to spend on a book for my entry in the contest.

I just recycled yesterday. I had 4 big trash bags of plastic bottles, 1 of cans and a bunch of glass.

I got $32 for the whole thing. based on a supposed .03 a bottle there must have been just over 1000. I would guess that that was about 3-4 months worth so i might have $100 to spend on a book for my entry in the contest.

Wow, that's pretty good. I did my three bags of cans and bottles and got $6.35.... I got a long way to go if I'm planning on getting an ASM#1. ;)

-slym

A couple of months ago thieves were hooking a winch up and taking thousands of feet of copper wiring from the rail line signal system and forced the cancellation of early morning rush hour commuter trains.

They should just ban copper recycling from individuals and let consumers be free to recycle the rest.

Here in LA we have seperate recycling trash bins, and a nickel refund on a broad variety of drink containers. A few years ago it was only homeless guys with shopping carts rooting through the bins, now it's regular looking people driving around in old cars and pickup trucks. If you have any sort of scrap metal to trash from replacing or fixing something in your house, put it on the curb and it will be gone in an hour in most neighborhoods.

There are a lot of people barely making it out there.