• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape added, grade and price

11 posts in this topic

Couple years ago I deslabbed a 6.5 book. It was one of those that had the staples a bit on the front cover and was starting to rip. So I put a small piece of arcival quality tape right up against the staple. This was only on the top staple.

Lets assume the condition on a CGC submit was exactly the same 6.5 condition with a blue label note that a small piece of tape on inside of front cover.

How would you value a book in this situation as I plan on putting it for sale once CGC slabs it.

Thanks

Couple years ago I deslabbed a 6.5 book. It was one of those that had the staples a bit on the front cover and was starting to rip. So I put a small piece of arcival quality tape right up against the staple. This was only on the top staple.

Lets assume the condition on a CGC submit was exactly the same 6.5 condition with a blue label note that a small piece of tape on inside of front cover.

How would you value a book in this situation as I plan on putting it for sale once CGC slabs it.

Thanks

That's an incorrect assumption - it's going to come back a purple label (ie. restored) because you used archival tape.

I believe CGC makes a distinction between archival and regular cellophane tape. Archival will result in a Purple label where cellophane will result in a downgraded book in a blue label.

Interesting, thank you for the info...

I believe CGC makes a distinction between archival and regular cellophane tape. Archival will result in a Purple label where cellophane will result in a downgraded book in a blue label.

I dont use tape so I have never bought archival tape. I wonder how do you tell the difference between regular and archival? (shrug)

I dont use tape so I have never bought archival tape. I wonder how do you tell the difference between regular and archival? (shrug)

No idea. It was Scotch brand and comes out of a little dispenser like every other Scotch tape. Tape says "scrapbooking tape" and is acid-free. Maybe that isn't archival or at least what people think of as archival?

Its a JIM #84 so worth slabbing either way. I will come back to this thread in a month or so and update results. :wishluck:

Go to an art store and look at Filmoplast P tape. Compare the way it looks to Scotch tape. They look nothing alike. Filmoplast has a paper carrier. Scotch tape has a plastic carrier.

This article might be of interest if you haven't seen it before. http://cool.conservation-us.org/coolaic/sg/bpg/annual/v02/bp02-13.html

No idea. It was Scotch brand and comes out of a little dispenser like every other Scotch tape. Tape says "scrapbooking tape" and is acid-free. Maybe that isn't archival or at least what people think of as archival?

Its a JIM #84 so worth slabbing either way. I will come back to this thread in a month or so and update results. :wishluck:

...and so now CGC knows to look for a JIM 84 coming its way with tape that may or may not be resto,and was a 6.5 cgc before.... pretty sure i know how this is going to turn out. :makepoint:

...and so now CGC knows to look for a JIM 84 coming its way with tape that may or may not be resto,and was a 6.5 cgc before.... pretty sure i know how this is going to turn out. :makepoint:

Most of the graders do not even look at the boards, let alone read every post.

Most of the graders do not even look at the boards, let alone read every post.

...i figured as much.... just having a little fun with him....ruffle a couple of feathers :grin: