• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics from your birth month

58 posts in this topic

After listening to Chris Moyles this morning on the radio (BBC Radio 1 for the US boardies), I was rather pleased when I heard that someone had bought him a copy of the Beano published on the week he was born as a present.

It got me thinking about a rather self indulgent set of Marvels from my month of birth (September 1975)

I checked Marvel Wikia to find what issues were cover stamped for 09/75 and unfortunately only got this list

http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:1975,_September

I've yet to find a source for DC's for the month.

Anyone else thought of doing this and got any results worth collecting???

My buddy and I are born on the same day in September of 1966, and we have about 10 books so far.... It's been a blast, and it's something you can leave alone for a while and then come back to. This was a GREAT year for books and the Marvels are pretty abundant, but the higher grade DC's are tough. My friend just got us a File Copy Gold Key TWILIGHT ZONE that is absolutely killer!!!

Dan

I'm probably going to assemble #3 issues with a November cover date because I was born on Nov. 3. I've noticed an easy dozen or so and I haven't really been looking yet. The ultimate eclectic collection, it can cover any era, any genre, any condition, etc.

After listening to Chris Moyles this morning on the radio (BBC Radio 1 for the US boardies), I was rather pleased when I heard that someone had bought him a copy of the Beano published on the week he was born as a present.

It got me thinking about a rather self indulgent set of Marvels from my month of birth (September 1975)

I checked Marvel Wikia to find what issues were cover stamped for 09/75 and unfortunately only got this list

Its funny you say this...I too tried looking for a 09/75 for me but....nothing really that got me overly excited. My dad, on the other hand, I found a Playboy from his year and month..which happen to be almost completely white on the cover, blank cover almost. I got a Dean Yeagle to do pinup for it as a present to my dad...this is got I got back from him...I have not had the opportunity to give it to him but I will on his birthday...I am not sure if I should frame it or slab it... hm it was fun looking for something though...

93859.jpg.1b3f54517a85dcd3770f82acb4e11ae6.jpg

I've been collecting two birthday genres for a while now: One for the month and year, and another for the month and issue number. I don't actively seek them out but I try to pick them up when I see them in auction. It's definitely fun and, as a previous poster stated, something you can always put aside and come back to.

Its funny you say this...I too tried looking for a 09/75 for me but....nothing really that got me overly excited. My dad, on the other hand, I found a Playboy from his year and month..which happen to be almost completely white on the cover, blank cover almost. I got a Dean Yeagle to do pinup for it as a present to my dad...this is got I got back from him...I have not had the opportunity to give it to him but I will on his birthday...I am not sure if I should frame it or slab it... hm it was fun looking for something though...

That's flippin' beautiful.

My opinion - Slab it AND frame it. I'm sure it will look stunning!

I think i'd get it framed and double mounted.

That's such a sweet gift man.

Marvels from July 1966

Tales to Astonish #81, July 1966 [published 5 Apr 66]

Cover:

Cover title: none - cover artists: Jack Kirby and Bill Everett

Sub-Mariner: "When a Monarch Goes Mad!" - 12pp

-script: Stan Lee, Pencils: Gene Colan, Inks: Ayers, Letters: Sam Rosen

Hulk: "The Stage is Set!" - 10pp

-script: Stan Lee, Layouts: Jack Kirby, Pencils: Bill Everett, Inks: Bill Everett, Letters: Sam Rosen

Mails to Astonish - 1p

Letters page

Marvel Tales #3, July 1966 [published 5 Apr 66] -- begins bi-monthly

Cover:

Cover title: none - cover artist: no original cover art

Contents - 1p - on inside front cover

Editor: Stan Lee, Production Associate: Sol Brodsky, Editorial Associate: Roy Thomas, Art Associate: Marie Severin, Colors: Stan Goldberg, Assistant: Flo Steinberg

Spider-Man: "Face-To-Face With ... the Lizard!" - 21pp - from Spider-Man #6

-script: Stan Lee, Pencils: Steve Ditko, Inks: Steve Ditko, Letters: Art Simek

Human Torch: "The Human Torch" - 13pp - from Strange Tales #101

Plot: Stan Lee, -script: Larry Lieber, Pencils: Jack Kirby, Inks: Ayers

Thor: "The Mighty Thor vs. the Executioner" - 13pp - from Journey Into Mystery #84

Plot: Stan Lee, -script: Larry Lieber, Pencils: Jack Kirby, Inks: Ayers

Ant-Man: "Betrayed By the Ants!!" - 10pp - from Tales to Astonish #38

Plot: Stan Lee, -script: Larry Lieber, Pencils: Jack Kirby, Inks: Ayers, Letters: Johnny Dee

Two-Gun Kid #82, July 1966 [published 5 Apr 66]

Cover:

Cover title: "Here Come the Conchos!" - cover artist: Ayers

"Here Come the Conchos!" - 17pp

-script: Larry Lieber, Pencils: Ayers, Inks: Mike Esposito

Strange Tales #146, July 1966 [published 12 Apr 66]

Cover:

Cover Title: "The End At Last!" - Cover artist: Steve Ditko

Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.: "When the Unliving Strike!" - 12pp

-script: Stan Lee, Layouts: Jack Kirby, Pencils: Don Heck, Inks: Mickey Demeo (Mike Esposito), Letters: Sam Rosen

Dr. Strange: "The End -- At Last!" - 10pp

Editor: Stan Lee, -script: Dennis O'Neil, Pencils: Steve Ditko, Inks: Steve Ditko, Letters: Art Simek

Strange Mails - 1p

Letters page

Spider-Man #38, July 1966 [published 12 Apr 66]

Cover:

Cover title: "Just a Guy Named Joe!" - cover artist: Steve Ditko (montage of art from interior story)

"Just a Guy Named Joe" - 20pp

-script: Stan Lee, Pencils: Steve Ditko, Inks: Steve Ditko, Letters: Art Simek

Marvel Bullpen Bulletins - 1p

House Ad - 1p

for Marvel merchancise

The Spider's Web - 2pp

Letters page

Fantastic Four #52, July 1966 [published 12 Apr 66]

Cover:

Cover title: none - Cover artists: Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott

"The Black Panther!" - 20pp

-script: Stan Lee, Pencils: Jack Kirby, Inks: Joe Sinnott, Letters: Sam Rosen

Fantastic Four Fan Page - 2pp

Letters page

Tales of Suspense #79, July 1966 [published 12 Apr 66]

Cover:

Cover title: "Disaster!" - cover artists: Gene Colan and Jack Abel

Iron Man: "Disaster!" - 12pp

-script: Stan Lee, Pencils: Gene Colan, Inks: Jack Abel, Letters: Art Simek

Capt. America: "The Red Skull Lives!" - 10pp

-script: Stan Lee, Pencils: Jack Kirby, Inks: Frank Giacoia, Letters: Art Simek

Kid Colt, Outlaw #129, July 1966 [published 12 Apr 66]

Cover:

Cover title: "The Range War of Vengeance Valley!" - cover artist: Ayers

"The Range War of Vengeance Valley!" - 17pp

Editor: Stan Lee, -script: Larry Lieber, Pencils: Jack Keller, Inks: Jack Keller, Letters: Art Simek

"The Black Mask" [V-837] - 5pp - non-series - from Kid Colt #106

-script: Stan Lee, Pencils: Ayers, Inks: Ayers

Kid Colt's Roundup - 1p

Letters page

Millie the Model #139, July 1966

Thor #130, July 1966 [published 3 May 66]

Cover:

Cover title: "Thunder In the Netherworld!" - cover artists: Jack Kirby and Vince Colletta

"Thunder In the Netherworld" - 16pp

-script: Stan Lee, Pencils: Jack Kirby, Inks: Vince Colletta, Letters: Art Simek

Tales of Asgard: "The Fateful Change" - 5pp

-script: Stan Lee, Pencils: Jack Kirby, Inks: Vince Colletta, Letters: Sam Rosen

X-Men #22, July 1966 [published 3 May 66]

Cover:

Cover Title: "Divided We Fall!" - Cover artists: Werner Roth and Ayers

"Divided We Fall" - 20pp

Editor: Stan Lee, -script: Roy Thomas, Pencils: Jay Gavin (Werner Roth), Inks: Ayers, Letters: Art Simek

Lets Visit the X-Men - 2pp

Letters page

Daredevil #18, July 1966 [published 3 May 66]

Cover:

Cover title: "There Shall Come a Gladiator" - cover artists: John Romita and Frank Giacoia

"There Shall Come a Gladiator!" - 20pp

Editor: Stan Lee, -script: Stan Lee (pp 1-7) and Dennis O'Neil (pp 8-20), Pencils: John Romita, Inks: Frank Giacoia, Letters: Sam Rosen

Let's Level With Daredevil - 2pp

Letters page

Avengers #30, July 1966 [published 10 May 66]

Cover:

Cover title: "Frenzy In a Far-Off Land!" - cover artists: Jack Kirby and Frank Giacoia

"Frenzy In a Far-Off Land" - 20pp

-script: Stan Lee, Pencils: Don Heck, Inks: Frank Giacoia, Letters: Sam Rosen

Avengers Assemble! - 2pp

Letters page

Sgt. Fury #32, July 1966 [published 10 May 66]

Cover:

Cover title: "A Traitor In Our Midsts!" - cover artist: Ayers

"A Traitor In Our Midsts!" - 20

-script: Roy Thomas, Pencils: Ayers, Inks: John Tartaglione, Letters: Sam Rosen

House ad - 1p

for Fantastic Four #53, Spider-Man #39 and Marvel Tales #3

Marvel Bullpen Bulletins - 1p

Items Of Lasting Insignificance From the Four Corners Of Marveldom!

House ad - 1p

for Thing sweatshirt, Hulk sweathsirt, Spider-Man poster, stationery and T-shirt

Tell It To Fury - 2pp

Letters page

That's flippin' beautiful.

My opinion - Slab it AND frame it. I'm sure it will look stunning!

I never thought about doing both, that sounds interesting...

It would have been cool if Hulk 180 or 181 were don in my birth year/month..that would something else!!!

Here is mine. What I love about this book being my birth month book is my birthday is on July 12. Rather cool the book says issue 12 July.

:)

Xmen12_Front.jpg

Being issue 12, makes it that much more cooler!

Here is mine. What I love about this book being my birth month book is my birthday is on July 12. Rather cool the book says issue 12 July.

:)

Xmen12_Front.jpg

Being issue 12, makes it that much more cooler!

Very cool.

One of my favourite early X-men issues, I loved the way Juggy was never actually seen until the final few panels, just this lumbering silhouette crashing through the school grounds. Am I right in thinking that this is one of Marvels first "Cliffhangers" i.e. not a story contained within a single issue?

Unfortunately no X-Men on my birthday. These were the "Re-print" years. If only GS UXM had come out in Sept - Sigh :(