• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Grade My Incredible Hulk #161

17 posts in this topic

Just took it out of the CGC case. I won't say the grade, I want to see your opinions.

1z6gmdl.jpg

20suekg.jpg

Notable defects: Small piece missing from bottom left corner of back cover, several stress marks on the spine (if you look inside, they're really obvious), bit of dirt/stain on back spine, slight spine roll, 3/4 inch rip on back cover, fibers showing on top left corner, staple slightly misplaced.

The staple misplacement would be considered a production defect and wouldn't affect the grade.

I would have said 8.5, maybe even a 9.0, but the piece missing and the tear would make me think 6.5, outside 7.0.

Alright. Thanks for your opinion. I was thinking somewhat along those lines as well, but it got a CGC grade of 6.0. Is it possible for me to call CGC and ask for grader's notes?

Yeah definitely, although with the tear and the piece missing a 6.0 really doesn't surprise me. But they'll be happy to give you the notes. Was it a book you subbed yourself?

The staple misplacement would be considered a production defect and wouldn't affect the grade.

I would have said 8.5, maybe even a 9.0, but the piece missing and the tear would make me think 6.5, outside 7.0.

This is an area where I have some grading problems. What is the difference on a corner when it goes from a corner chip to a 1/4",3/8",1/2" or larger piece. How much does it reduce the grade from an otherwise decent looking book as in regards to a book that is 4.5/ - 5.0 with a chip or piece out. Is there a sliding scale for the diffenent size pieces out. In this book its just a guess at 6.5, but I have to agree with Boozad here.

DRX

This is an area where I have some grading problems. What is the difference on a corner when it goes from a corner chip to a 1/4",3/8",1/2" or larger piece. How much does it reduce the grade from an otherwise decent looking book as in regards to a book that is 4.5/ - 5.0 with a chip or piece out. Is there a sliding scale for the diffenent size pieces out. In this book its just a guess at 6.5, but I have to agree with Boozad here.

DRX

I'd generally consider up to 1/4" piece missing or a 1" tear allowable up in a 7.0, the combination of both on this book equals the 6.0.

Between 3.5 and 5.0 I'd think up to a 1/2" piece is where I'd cut off to a lower grade. This may not be everybody's criteria and you have to take other defects into account too obviously.

Alright. Thanks for your opinion. I was thinking somewhat along those lines as well, but it got a CGC grade of 6.0. Is it possible for me to call CGC and ask for grader's notes?

Yeah definitely, although with the tear and the piece missing a 6.0 really doesn't surprise me. But they'll be happy to give you the notes. Was it a book you subbed yourself?

my TOS 97 has a bigger piece then that missing and it got a 9.0....i wonder if there a stain inside or something else that got found...id call on the notes...

my TOS 97 has a bigger piece then that missing and it got a 9.0....i wonder if there a stain inside or something else that got found...id call on the notes...

..the age of the book probably has some forgiveness with the tos... but that is a big difference between the two grades

..i think the "rip" from the word "Lasalle" on the bottom back cover did it in combo with the other stuff... and that looks bigger than a rip 3/4"..

+ the small tear on the front as well. I think the 6.0 grade is pretty much spot on.