• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 1 sells for $1 MILLION dollars... but who cares ?

106 posts in this topic

Not necessarily better, but perhaps more consistent. For example, McDonald's is not fine dining, but there are no surprises with the Big Mac you order in Toronto or NYC, or Paris...you know what you're going to get because it is consistent (whethere its good or bad is another discussion).

Same with CGC - it allows for consistency in grading and restoration checks etc, and the buyer knows what he's going to get with a VF8.0 Universal graded book. That consistency equates to decreased unknowns, and increased confidence when purchasing the book. Hence, higher prices paid for slabbed books.

And it's the same reasoning in the toy hobby as well. But it's hard accept at face value when a CGC collector (or an AFA collector) faced with seeing two books in person, one graded, one ungraded, both in the same outward condition would most likely still buy the graded book at a higher price, thereby proving they're into it for the number and not the book. I would bet dollars to donuts that if they did buy the ungraded book, they'd likely send it in to get graded once the had in hand anyway.

Either way, i'm not looking to start any arguments as i know from many a hard fought AFA battle that it's a moot point in the end as people are always going to buy what they like. Grading just isn't everyone's cup of tea.

So I don't know why some people treat the idea of paying more for a better copy with such disdain. There is a huge difference between a trashed Action 1 and a 8.0 copy, just like there is a huge difference between a trashed 1960 Corvette and a mint 1960 Corvette.

If the idea of paying more because of the "artificial" concept of condition bothers a collector, then perhaps that collector should focus on unique items like art or items that are so rare that condition is irrelevant. I hear Buzzy #70 would be a great start.

Please don't misunderstand, i totally get the concept of paying a premium for something in better condition. It's the nature of every collectible hobby. What i'm getting at is that paying a ridiculous premium for something under the sole premise that it's been graded by a 3rd party and thereby "better" than an ungraded example in the same condition is, well, a move of questionable intelligence. It might not apply to a copy of Action #1 but it applies to a LOT of other comics that aren't so rare and it's becoming quite prevalent in toy hobby as well.

I just fail to see the logic of it. It's actually a source of much contention and debate in a number of toy hobbies.

Gotcha! and I agree with you that`s a totally different issue.

Conceptually I agree with you, but unfortunately the real world intrudes with some unfortunate facts which has led to premiums being paid for 3rd-party graded items:

1. If not graded by an "objective" 3rd-party service, then you either have to see the book in person to grade yourself or you have to rely on the grading of the seller.

2. It may be difficult to see the book in person, particularly if you live far away from places where the book is likely to be displayed. If you buy a number of books a year, then this difficulty is multiplied.

3. If you have to rely on the grading of the seller, the reality is that sellers of the book unfortunately are not objective when it comes to grading, even if they have the best intentions.

4. Unless you`re really good at restoration detection, then you have to rely on the seller`s disclosure and ability to detect restoration, or go through the hassle of sending a book to a third-party to check for restoration.

The last point can`t be overstated, because although CGC has had some misses, they`re also much better at detecting restoration than the average collector (certainly much better than me). PGX`s suspect restoration detection ability is one of the main reasons why their grading service commands NO premium over the raw price and may actually result in a discount because people feel that if a major book is graded by PGX, the owner must`ve been trying to hide something.

Forgot to add a #5, liquidity. For better or for worse, CGC has become an accepted market standard, so unless it`s one of CGC`s spectacular misses, others in the market will accept the grade given and price and buy it accordingly. No quibbling and negotiation over the grade.

If I sell a raw book, then all the issues I raised in #1-4 above come into play. Does the buyer want to accept my grading? Does he need to see it in person first? Does he trust my resto detection abilities? It`s basically like the assessment of the book is starting from scratch every time it changes hands, and as both a buyer and seller I just don`t need the aggro.

Not necessarily better, but perhaps more consistent. For example, McDonald's is not fine dining, but there are no surprises with the Big Mac you order in Toronto or NYC, or Paris...you know what you're going to get because it is consistent (whethere its good or bad is another discussion).

Same with CGC - it allows for consistency in grading and restoration checks etc, and the buyer knows what he's going to get with a VF8.0 Universal graded book. That consistency equates to decreased unknowns, and increased confidence when purchasing the book. Hence, higher prices paid for slabbed books.

And it's the same reasoning in the toy hobby as well. But it's hard accept at face value when a CGC collector (or an AFA collector) faced with seeing two books in person, one graded, one ungraded, both in the same outward condition would most likely still buy the graded book at a higher price, thereby proving they're into it for the number and not the book. I would bet dollars to donuts that if they did buy the ungraded book, they'd likely send it in to get graded once the had in hand anyway.

Either way, i'm not looking to start any arguments as i know from many a hard fought AFA battle that it's a moot point in the end as people are always going to buy what they like. Grading just isn't everyone's cup of tea.

shane,

i am basically in the same boat as you. it just seems that many comic "collectors"

wanted this once they saw what it could do for them in the first several years. It

brought in fresh money, prices went up, it created a sight unseen commodity type

market, and overall folks early to the game prospered. Heck they still do to this day

albeit things seem to have softened a bit.

i know this is just my opinion but i have a feeling that many comic collectors enjoy

the price aspect of their collectibles. this is the ultimate high for them. once again

speculation is rampant and it creates a buzz. auctions are watched closely and

prices cgc books get is discussed in detail and thought out for reasons why.

it has allowed a person to have prestige examples based on a little piece of paper

with a number. oooh, your 9.8 beat mine by .2! you are very lucky! It has allowed

people to really pet their ego by going after finest knowns.

it has allowed crack out artists to have their fun gaming the system. be it pressing,

second guessing cgc on an under graded book, or just trying their luck due to inconsistency.

Or the folks who hunt for raw books just to get them slabbed because

they know there is a premium attached to it due to being the first to get them in

the right grade or just to be the plain old first in the earlier days. Or a premium over

raw for whatever the reason.

it all just reminds me of past days but now with a new twist that makes previous

dollar levels look like chicken feed. i am just thankful that during the 1980s i had

my hands on a lot of rare books to read and feel no need to buy them now days.

it is rather odd looking at how things are.. almost as an outsider... with an ok

understanding of comic books and just thinking i do not like what i see. i want to

read a story, see some good art, and frankly the whole $$$ part of it can go to spoon

for all i care.

but with all that said.. CGC does indeed have a place in this hobby. i just thought

it would be for more expensive books and not for uber common material that nobody

in their right mind fakes, tries to restore, etc... If I bought a book for 10K i will readily

admit i would not mind having it slabbed before i purchased it. But i would probably

crack it out so i could read it ;-)