• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interior lightened?

17 posts in this topic

so when the CGC label states "interior lighted" on a restored book, does that mean the pages or just the inside front and back covers, or both?

Who lighted an interior on fire? :flamed:

j/k

As far as I understand it, it means the interior pages were washed. And the term they use to descibe a washed interior is "lightened"

Not sure it conveys what was done very well, but I suppose if an interior was in fact washed on some level, it would be lighter in shade due to what was washed out. You should see the water after you wash a GA interior.

:sick:

so when the CGC label states "interior lighted" on a restored book, does that mean the pages or just the inside front and back covers, or both?

j/k

As far as I understand it, it means the interior pages were washed. And the term they use to descibe a washed interior is "lightened"

Not sure it conveys what was done very well, but I suppose if an interior was in fact washed on some level, it would be lighter in shade due to what was wahsed out. You should see the water after you wash a GA interior.

thanks Kenny (thumbs u

Does a professionally-washed interior 'feel' any different?

Short answer?, it shouldn't. If done correctly it should not readily feel all that different then a nice interior should feel.

Longer boring answer below.

After closer inspection there are usually tell tale signs, most having to do with smell, texture and handfeel because when you wash newsprint you are washing out both good and bad things alike. And depending on who washed it, in what, for how long, and how it was dried will dictate how it looks and feels afterwards.

All the above, or a combination of these can leave behind signs it was washed.

The most obvious being it can simply look and feel washed out, which makes the paper feel pourous, airy and overly flimsy. But since most interiors were washed as part of a larger restorative process it's typically more a benifit to the long term health of the paper then it is a detractor because it was disassembled.

After handling 100's of interiors and knowing what they feel and look like is the main tool in determining if an interior was washed or not. You simply get a knack for what both washed and unwashed feel like.

Here is a TOS that was washed along with other structual work. And shows why CGC labels it as lightened because of what was washed out of the paper.

TOS39interiorspalshbefore.jpg

TOS39aftercover.jpg

tos39intreriorbcbefore.jpg

tos39bcafter.jpg

j/k

Not sure it conveys what was done very well, but I suppose if an interior was in fact washed on some level, it would be lighter in shade due to what was washed out. You should see the water after you wash a GA interior.

I always assumed it meant they were bleached or whitened

j/k

They may very have been Bill, but the term "lightened" is used by CGC for interior washing as far as I know be they lightly washed, bleached, or made bone white. Because while the interior may have been washed on some level, CGC has no point of reference as to what shade the interior was before.

Makes sense I suppose. But it would be nice if they could differentiate between washed and overly lightened , because there is a difference.

btw, it looks like you guys had a blast at your Con, cept for that Sweatshirt you wore.

:P

j/k

They may very have been Bill, but the term "lightened" is used by CGC for interior washing as far as I know be they lightly washed, bleached, or made bone white. Because while the interior may have been washed on some level, CGC has no point of reference as to what shade the interior was before.

Makes sense I suppose. But it would be nice if they could differentiate between washed and overly lightened , because there is a difference.

btw, it looks like you guys had a blast at your Con, cept for that Sweatshirt you wore.

:P

:sorry::foryou:

Does a professionally-washed interior 'feel' any different?

Short answer?, it shouldn't. If done correctly it should not readily feel all that different then a nice interior should feel.

Hi Kenney! Those kids at school...etc etc etc.

I tend to agree but I think the key words in your short reply is "should not readily feel". As you said in your long reply, things both bad and good get washed out, even with just a water bath or a float rinse. And I have to think someone such as the CGC resto detectors ultimately could make a good decision based on the feel, even if it IS slight.

:hi: