• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We all know most eBay sellers overgrade, but...

28 posts in this topic

My solution is that buying raw books on ebay is asking for trouble.

Unless it's a known quality dealer or forum member selling on ebay, I just avoid it at all costs.

Milehighcomics as we know, likes to overgrade. Luckily the last book my girlfriend won in an auction from him wasn't even in stock to begin with.

eBay overgrading is rampant. Rampant.

It is not out of line...and I mean this as sincerely as I can possibly be....to say that 50-75% of all eBay auctions for raw books that ARE graded are OVERgraded.

If, however, you say anything...no matter how professional, no matter how courtesous, no matter how carefully crafted to avoid even the hint of dissatisfcation..which is contrary to the point, but I digress...the odds are good you will get labeled a "problem buyer" because "nobody else has ever said anything."

And that's true. 80-90% of customers with a legitimate complaint...including posters in this very thread...won't bother complaining because it's "not worth their time", or "they don't like confrontation."

It always amazes me to see a seller who habitually overgrades, but never gets poor feedback...and one person has the nerve to do it, then, like dominos falling, "everyone else" comes out of the woodwork.

Books that are overgraded by a full grade or more (standard grades, not "9.2" v "9.0"), books that are demolished by poor packing, and so render the given grade moot, books that have obvious flaws that are ignored.

Half the books I've receied in the last month have been overgraded and/or destroyed due to poor packing. What do you do?

Dunno. Let me know when you find out. lol

Don't ask for anything. Let him know the books were overgraded an you're not happy, see what he responds with. Then consider your options.

Good advice, this is what I would do. At the same time you just might have to set your own demands if he does'nt provide a fair alternative. Good luck.

What were the books in question, and who was the seller? Come on, we deserve that much.

Books were nothing special (no keys) and simply to fill in the holes in my Amazing Spider-Man run. Issues were #162, #177, and #239. I paid a total of $31.09 after shipping. I had maxed my bids at about 50% of guide for VF (and everything went for a total of $2 under my max). I was expecting to get slightly better than VF (since listed as NM-, NM-, and VF/NM, I figured 2 grades or 1.0 difference max). It wouldn't have been a great deal at VF, but wouldn't have been too bad either to get the books I needed in VF with a chance at better (based on seller's feedback). Worst case, I figured eBay's Buyer Protection would protect me on everything except return shipping costs. Books are posted in the PGM threads.

Amazing Spider-Man #162

Amazing Spider-Man #177

Amazing Spider-Man #239

Right now, it's looking like I paid 100% of guide for FN price and got books graded FN/VF, FN/VF, and FN. No where near a good deal (except for seller and eBay). Of course resale would probably be half or less of what I paid (assuming I could find a buyer for mid-grade issues). I do know at this grade, I won't keep them for my collection. At this point, I would rather return at a $5 loss on return shipping than sell at at a $15-$20 loss. I did send a polite email to the seller asking if he could offer a solution to this. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all the comments!

You paid $31 for those books? *spoon* me. I've got NM copies of them I'll send you RIGHT NOW for $31.

Don't ask for anything. Let him know the books were overgraded an you're not happy, see what he responds with. Then consider your options.

Good advice, this is what I would do. At the same time you just might have to set your own demands if he does'nt provide a fair alternative. Good luck.

What were the books in question, and who was the seller? Come on, we deserve that much.

Books were nothing special (no keys) and simply to fill in the holes in my Amazing Spider-Man run. Issues were #162, #177, and #239. I paid a total of $31.09 after shipping. I had maxed my bids at about 50% of guide for VF (and everything went for a total of $2 under my max). I was expecting to get slightly better than VF (since listed as NM-, NM-, and VF/NM, I figured 2 grades or 1.0 difference max). It wouldn't have been a great deal at VF, but wouldn't have been too bad either to get the books I needed in VF with a chance at better (based on seller's feedback). Worst case, I figured eBay's Buyer Protection would protect me on everything except return shipping costs. Books are posted in the PGM threads.

Amazing Spider-Man #162

Amazing Spider-Man #177

Amazing Spider-Man #239

Right now, it's looking like I paid 100% of guide for FN price and got books graded FN/VF, FN/VF, and FN. No where near a good deal (except for seller and eBay). Of course resale would probably be half or less of what I paid (assuming I could find a buyer for mid-grade issues). I do know at this grade, I won't keep them for my collection. At this point, I would rather return at a $5 loss on return shipping than sell at at a $15-$20 loss. I did send a polite email to the seller asking if he could offer a solution to this. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all the comments!

You paid $31 for those books? *spoon* me. I've got NM copies of them I'll send you RIGHT NOW for $31.

You do? Solid 9.2/9.4-ish copies...?

hm

Amazing Spider-Man #162

Amazing Spider-Man #177

Amazing Spider-Man #239

:takeit:

I just bought a tough 35 cent variant. Tough as in hard to find, and because it was overgraded. So tough that I couldn't go through with returning it. I attempted to ask for a partial refund, but to no avail. It didn't help my case any that the seller was getting hit with numerous requests (he even admitted this much, but didn't say if he had been offered more money) from buyers asking to contact them if the deal fell through, because he was itching to give me a full refund. Even offered to refund me shipping back to him.

I just bought a tough 35 cent variant. Tough as in hard to find, and because it was overgraded. So tough that I couldn't go through with returning it. I attempted to ask for a partial refund, but to no avail. It didn't help my case any that the seller was getting hit with numerous requests (he even admitted this much, but didn't say if he had been offered more money) from buyers asking to contact them if the deal fell through, because he was itching to give me a full refund. Even offered to refund me shipping back to him.

Sorry to hear this.

I do not know if I believe what the seller is telling you. (I am assuming you are referring to the IF)

What grade do you give that book?

That is a lot of coin to not be happy.

Update: The seller accepted the comics back for a full refund including shipping (one way) and offered to let me keep one of the three books for my trouble. I returned all three and thanked him for the offer anyway. I did leave positive feedback even though I was out the return shipping. I figure that's just the cost of rolling the dice on eBay. Thanks to all who offered advice. Cheers!