• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Deathlok, Byrne Iron Fist, SME 15, 16, Hulk 340, Starlin Warlocks/ ST!

3 posts in this topic

In honor of my eBay items, here's a movie review: confused.gif893whatthe.gifpopcorn.gif

Rififi (Du rififi chez les hommes)

1955, France, In French and Italian with English Subtitles

Overall Rating: **** (four out of four stars)

In-Genre Rating: **** (four out of four stars)

Directed by: Jules Dassin

Written by: Auguste Le Breton (novel) Jules Dassin, René Wheeler and Auguste Le Breton 

Starring: Jean Servais, Carl Möhner, Robert Manuel, Jules Dassin, Marie Sabouret, Janine Darcey, Claude Sylvain, Marcel Lupovici, Pierre Grasset, Robert Hossein, Magali Noël

If Quentin Tarantino were going to choose the one film from cinema history that he wished he'd done, I'd be willing to wager Rififi would be on his short list. This smart, funny, sexy, visceral caper film from director Jules Dassin hits every note that Tarantino (and countless others) strive for and does so with almost ruthless precision. I do not hesitate to call this one of the greatest crime dramas ever made.

Telling the tale of an outrageous jewel heist and it's aftermath, the film revolves around the brutal, consumptive ex-con, Tony le Stephanois. Tony, portrayed with cold efficiency by Jean Servais, is out of prison after a five-year stint and is trying to put his life back together. He's approached by two associates, Jo (Carl Möhner) and Mario (Robert Manuel) with the idea of robbing a jewelry store. At first he refuses, but, finding himself living in squalor and his old flame, Mado (Marie Sabouret), in the arms of a rival gangster, Tony soon accepts their offer. Joined by Italian safecracker Cesar (played with remarkable aplomb by Dassin, the film's director) the quartet spring into action, moving with intense perfection through the planning and execution of the daring crime.

That crime and the events that follow are fascinating viewing. The brilliance of their plan, the clockwork precision with which they execute and the fragility of the plan once the human element comes into play make Rififi real edge of your seat stuff. I've seen a lot of movies in my time and very few of them grabbed me as completely as this one.

Most highly recommended.