• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comic dealers do you stay away from?

164 posts in this topic

Some people click with some dealers and some for whatever reason turn people off. I know I do, but what can you do. Like I said, there are way more guys I like than I don't, tons of great guys out there.

Whether 16 or not if someone tells you switched a book when you know dang well you didn't, are you gonna chalk that up to a bad experience?

There's way too many good guys out there to continue to have dealings with someone you had a bad experience with.

I neither like nor dislike the overpriced, overgraded big ticket folks, just don't shop with them is all. Some seem a little distant and hard to connect too anyway.

Ted from Superworld, when I was 16 or so I got something from them through CBG, no ebay then, it was a Sub-Mariner something or other, in the 30 range for less than a 100 bucks. Way, way overgraded. Sent it back, no problem. A week later I get a package from them. Same book! He said I switched out copies, that wasn't the one he sent me. Wouldn't take or return any of my calls. I've seen him over and over through the years, just want to rip that dudes heart out. Luckily I've chilled through the years too.

Pretty surprised by this. I traded a couple of books to Ted at WW Chicago a few years back for a Red Dragon 8. I subsequently sold it on the boards months later, to Colin I think, who informed me that the centerfold was missing. I emailed Ted about it and he graciously undid the deal hassle free. That definitely made an impression, as there are a lot of dealers out there who would not have done the same.

I'm always shocked by the dealers and advanced collectors that miss a page or a centerfold out. hm

It's always one of the first things I check. (shrug)

I agree completely. The last expensive book I purchased with a missing centerfold was at the 1977 Chicago Comicon (it was actually a pinup page). From that moment on I have counted the pages of every book I've ever purchased with a value of $50 or more, and more importantly have counted the pages of every book I've sold. No surprises from me.

But I shake my head at collectors who have no problem spending hundreds (and thousands too) of dollars on raw books and don't count the pages. I just don't get it.

I feel for you dealers, I'm sure it's a lot of work. And I've seen so many buyers just jump right in and ask tons of annoying questions when you're trying to work with someone who's waited their turn. But you can not deny that there are those dealers who just come off as disdainful or rude. It happens, trust me. I'm a very polite buyer, and a good potential customer, if not someone who throws down a grand every few minutes. How hard is it to just be polite? I too put in 60 hour weeks, and if during that time I have to deal with my clients, there's no way in hell I could get away with some of the 'tude I've gotten at cons. Even if I've put in an 80 hour week I still need to show respect, it's not optional.

Rude behavior should be saved for Burger King employees. I find it funny when I get a cold look there. At the comic convention I expect better.

For instance, there are some OA dealers who are laughably unhelpful. One in particular actually, who I've run into at every convention in the NY area for the last couple years. Sorry, I don't really know people's names, besides Harley Yee (who I kinda like working with). Anyway, it's impossible to get this guy to hop out of his chair. I'll ask about the price of something on the wall and he tells me he can't remember. If I'm looking through one of his books and ask who an artist is ("is this Gil Kane?") he'll say say "Yeah probably," without even looking. It's comical. Actually, I saw him again over the weekend and he recognized me, and was a bit more civil as a result. Then I saw him over at Bill Sienkiewicz's table trying to get a commission he'd asked for a while back, and he was so solicitous and toadying, I almost burst out laughing.

He does have some awesome pages though, like thousands of them or something.

Customer service is very important to me whenever I shop for anything, comics included. If I get a uncivil treatment from someone I'm just not going to buy from them, because I don't want to reward rude behavior. Unfortunately, the percentage of comic dealers who are, let's say not "socially skilled," seems higher than the rest of the population, I'd say. lol

I don't mean to paint with too broad a brush, as there are some really great dealers out there, of course. But I have NEVER gone to a convention without getting irritated by multiple rude dealers.

lol At WW Chicago last year, Graham Crackers' books had such a strong musty odor, you could find their booth with your eyes closed. They set me allergies off and I avoided them and anyone within three booths of them!
Jamie sold me a grail last year in San Diego (thumbs u

There's probably a thread somewhere about this already but what's a few names on a list.

When I go out of state I especially look forward to seeing Harley, Dale Roberts, Richie Evans (definitely more)

In state, the same guys and about 99% of my NC guys and those border folks. I've known them damn near my whole life and they've always been overly curtious to everyone. If you've never dealt with any of them or been to any of the NC shows it would be worth your while to try em out.

My thoughts are that when people say some of these guys are trying so hard they can't take time to say hello, you gotta look at this huge list and say well if they can, why can't everyone else.

I set up at my first con in 1993 at Heroes at age 18, so I've been on both sides of the stress coin. Much, much easier just to show up and hang out all weekend, my preference these days All the guys that have been mentioned in other posts were already there and for the most part they are the same now as they were then so I don't see some of this stuff as just a bad experience.

Just my opinion guys, just wanted to put it out there that my opinion is somewhat educated and not thrown out there from just a one time deal or word of mouth.

Terry O'Neil has supplied me with some decent GA over the years. (thumbs u

Bought one book for Muchin about 9 years ago---a USA 10. It had a little more amatuer resto on it than I had hoped for. He shipped fast though :)

Ted from Superworld, when I was 16 or so I got something from them through CBG, no ebay then, it was a Sub-Mariner something or other, in the 30 range for less than a 100 bucks. Way, way overgraded. Sent it back, no problem. A week later I get a package from them. Same book! He said I switched out copies, that wasn't the one he sent me. Wouldn't take or return any of my calls. I've seen him over and over through the years, just want to rip that dudes heart out. Luckily I've chilled through the years too.
I started buying from Ted in 1995. His grading has tightened up through the years. I bought my first Marvel Mystery 9 from him in 1997. He graded it a VG/F. I sent it to CGC in 2000 when they first opened. It came back Blue 3.0. I wasn't mad at all, but his grading is a lot tighter these days :applause: He's a wacky guy too :insane: I enjoy talking to him at shows.

With few exceptions, before CGC but using today's CGC standards, most dealers overgraded. A VF+ purchased in the mid-90's has a good chance of now being only a 6.0.
yah, I bought a Torch 8 in 1996 in VF. I thought it was VF-. Today, it's in a 5.5 slab :P

There's probably a thread somewhere about this already but what's a few names on a list.

When I go out of state I especially look forward to seeing Harley, Dale Roberts, Richie Evans (definitely more)

In state, the same guys and about 99% of my NC guys and those border folks. I've known them damn near my whole life and they've always been overly curtious to everyone. If you've never dealt with any of them or been to any of the NC shows it would be worth your while to try em out.

My thoughts are that when people say some of these guys are trying so hard they can't take time to say hello, you gotta look at this huge list and say well if they can, why can't everyone else.

I set up at my first con in 1993 at Heroes at age 18, so I've been on both sides of the stress coin. Much, much easier just to show up and hang out all weekend, my preference these days All the guys that have been mentioned in other posts were already there and for the most part they are the same now as they were then so I don't see some of this stuff as just a bad experience.

Just my opinion guys, just wanted to put it out there that my opinion is somewhat educated and not thrown out there from just a one time deal or word of mouth.

Good seeing you on the boards Allen :hi:

Everyone should obviously reach their own judgments about someone and first impressions absolutely have a tremendous impact, but to be fair I would hope people don't reach a final judgment just because of a single negative experience.

I've dealt with most of the major dealers referenced above and I have had great experiences with most of them, especially Terry and Al, who I always enjoying dealing with and count as friends. There are unique personalities involved and sometimes if you are not familiar with what that might be, you might interpret things differently than how they were intended to come across. Or it was simply a bad day for them and your timing was just not the best. Who knows? (shrug)

There are dealers/sellers to absolutely stay away from because they have a history of fraud or misconduct (and I've brought to light evidence about some), or at the very least to always take into consideration as to their grading/pricing "faults", but the latter and former examples are very, very different. :gossip:

well stated Mark. :) Everybody has bad days, but customer service should be on par regardless. (thumbs u

DTAcoll and Uthe. 'nuff said.
I bought a raw USA 7 in VG from DTA. They shipped quick and the book came back blue 3.5 :cool:

That's certainly reasonable.......not so sure about a VG/FN as a 3.0 or a VF/VF- as a 5.5 though?

First impressions are what counts and if you're a butt to someone because you're trying to buy books to sell or you're having a bad day well that's just too bad and money out of their pocket. If they can't handle buying and selling at the same time then obviously they should be doing something else.

I've traveled and set up at cons since I was 18, it is very tiring but that's what you're there for. Some guys are just not cut out to be convention dealers even though they continue to do so.

Bottom line is I've seen a lot of big money people show up and a few years later they're gone. Do you want a cusomer that's going to drop 10k in one pop and that's it or someone that's going to give you 5k a year until you die?

yah, and some folks know their product, but simply aren't "people persons". The President of a company may be successful but they may not have the best social skills, so hiring folks that can talk and meet and greet can help :cool: And yes, I'd rather have a customer spend $5k a year with me then $10k in one pop and write them off :P

I wish I knew who y'all are talking about. There are dealers I love seeing at each show, who remember me, are courteous, grade well, all that good stuff. I just don't know their names.
quite a number of them have pics in the Overstreet in the advisors section :)

DTAcoll and Uthe. 'nuff said.
I bought a raw USA 7 in VG from DTA. They shipped quick and the book came back blue 3.5 :cool:

That's certainly reasonable.......not so sure about a VG/FN as a 3.0 or a VF/VF- as a 5.5 though?

yah, those last two were really off from what CGC said. The Torch 8 was long gone from my possession though when I found it in a 5.5 slab.