• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fans of Batman: Arkham Asylum - Check this out

33 posts in this topic

I am waiting for the prices to drop on Batman and Bayonetta before I pick them up.

Bayonetta rocks. I liked it even more than Arkham. :cloud9:

Get out! I started paying Bayonetta and didnt think it was that good. I am still going to play it...just put it down which is not a good sign....AA blew Bayonetta away!!! Its a smashing the buttons game. AA was a great story!

Yep, one of the best overall games of 2009, which is quite a huge accomplishment for a licensed property. Most comic/movie based games are total garbage.

Most purely comic-based games are pretty good, but it's the movie-based properties (poised for a quick-development cash-grab) that really suck. Because it has to hit just prior to the movie release, it's usually a case of "here's en existing engine, now slap on some new textures over the next 3 months!" kind of deal.

The only recent movie-based game I've liked is Wolverine Origins, and even that wasn't great.

I am waiting for the prices to drop on Batman and Bayonetta before I pick them up.

Bayonetta rocks. I liked it even more than Arkham. :cloud9:

Get out! I started paying Bayonetta and didnt think it was that good. I am still going to play it...just put it down which is not a good sign....AA blew Bayonetta away!!! Its a smashing the buttons game. AA was a great story!

Bayonetta isn't for everyone, but the combat system is master-class. As far as straight-up action games go, it's the new king. If you're mashing buttons, you're missing the whole point; kind of like driving a sports car with an automatic transmission. :baiting:

The combat system is incredibly deep. To really get the most out of the game and to finish on the higher difficulties requires serious skill.

Most purely comic-based games are pretty good

Maybe as far as playability goes, but when was the last time you saw a comic-based game hang with the big boys of gaming from other genres, in terms of critical reception? Arkham Asylum is the only one I can think of.

You are like the George Will of video games.

Funny thing is, I had little to no interest in gaming from ages 13-25.

Maybe as far as playability goes, but when was the last time you saw a comic-based game hang with the big boys of gaming from other genres, in terms of critical reception? Arkham Asylum is the only one I can think of.

The first Marvel Ultimate Alliance got great reviews, Lego Batman was very good, and even the pseudo-comic MK vs. DC was fun, and in fact, other than the somewhat-disappointing MUA2, I can't think of a lot of purely comic-based games for the current generation. They just don't seem to make a lot of them. (shrug)

But there are a TON of crappy movie-based comic games for the 360/PS3/Wii/PSP, like Spider-man 3, Hellboy, Watchmen, TMNT, Fantastic Four: ROTS, Iron Man, Superman Returns, The Hulk, X-Men, etc.

That's why Wolverine stood out, as it's likely the only "pretty good" comic movie-based game from this generation.

But there are a TON of crappy movie-based comic games for the 360/PS3/Wii/PSP, like The Hulk, etc.

I broke a controller playing the Hulk on 360. I was actually enjoying it up until the point where you had to beat 4 "iron man's" wearing Stark Industries suits. My first time through, the game locked up after I had beaten two of them - it took about 10 minutes a piece. No big deal, I thought. Rebooted, beat three of them and was within 10 or 12 hits of beating the fourth and it locked up again. Instant controller confetti. :frustrated:

The first Marvel Ultimate Alliance got great reviews, Lego Batman was very good, and even the pseudo-comic MK vs. DC was fun, and in fact, other than the somewhat-disappointing MUA2, I can't think of a lot of purely comic-based games for the current generation. They just don't seem to make a lot of them. (shrug)

But there are a TON of crappy movie-based comic games for the 360/PS3/Wii/PSP, like Spider-man 3, Hellboy, Watchmen, TMNT, Fantastic Four: ROTS, Iron Man, Superman Returns, The Hulk, X-Men, etc.

That's why Wolverine stood out, as it's likely the only "pretty good" comic movie-based game from this generation.

I agree alot with what you say about the movie-based-comic-games.

An example would be the Hulk game based off the movie. It had an amazing engine and base to start from (look up "Hulk: Incredible Destruction" for one of the most fun ps2 games), and they totally ruined it with the movie-based game. Same mechanics and new-generation console graphics, but when compared to the previous game, it fell way short.

The first Marvel Ultimate Alliance got great reviews, Lego Batman was very good, and even the pseudo-comic MK vs. DC was fun, and in fact, other than the somewhat-disappointing MUA2, I can't think of a lot of purely comic-based games for the current generation. They just don't seem to make a lot of them.

All true, but as you know in the game industry, it's a big leap to go from double A to triple A. All those games you mentioned fall in the good, but not great category, at least critically. It was quite an accomplishment for Arkham, which was coming from a relatively unknown studio, to get AAA accolades, including game of the year nods. I hope the franchise can maintain its triple A status going forward.

All true, but as you know in the game industry, it's a big leap to go from double A to triple A. All those games you mentioned fall in the good, but not great category, at least critically. It was quite an accomplishment for Arkham, which was coming from a relatively unknown studio, to get AAA accolades, including game of the year nods. I hope the franchise can maintain its triple A status going forward.

Oh I do agree, but I was just stating that there is some pedigree in the NON-movie based comic book games, but it seems that whenever the developers are forced to paste a game engine on a movie property, the results are usually horrific.

But give the team some freedom, and the funny book results are usually good.