• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #14 CGC 9.6 on eBay - MOMMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=742249657

The guy has a feedback rating of 1249 so it's not our friend from Australia, yet he's using a scan of a book that isn't a 9.6.

Who is he?

Bewitched, bothered and bewildered am I.

(Forgive me if someone has already posted something about this - I checked and couldn't find anything.)

It's an ID hijacker, back at it. If you caught the "ASM 14 CGC 9.6" auction from "jasonewert" a couple of weeks ago- you would have seen the exact same listing. They swiped an ID from some unsuspecting soul with a lot of fedback, switched the User Name to something to do with comics and listed this book for sale, with a BIN. Shameless.

there are a few scams. For the most part, the only thing ebay can do to stop it is to stop stupid people from signing up for their service. All you need to swipe an ebay ID is the password, and getting a password from some ebay users is sadly simple. Send them an email telling them they need to update their ebay information. Placing a link to a dummy "ebay" site (say- www.paypal-ebay.com or www.ebay-accounts.com). There the user fills out a form (including password), hits send and the bad guys have got them. Ebay/ paypal warns people about this sort of scam all the time, but yet people still fall for it.

Who is he?

He is John Knick, a guaranteed top notch seller on eBay. I think he's stealing our Matt's (notch-top) thunder with that line and I beleive I got an email forom this guy saying he thought he was related to me and was asking for my name and social security number so he could look it up and verify I was his relative and then he proceeded to email me some more for my mother's maiden name. I wrote him back politely and siad Why don't we just cut to the chase...here is where you reply to me with your bank routing number and make me a rich man. I never heard back from him.

clobby - I would never lie to you...check this below...PM me with your email if you want me to forward it to you...he responded to me just now...Even in real life, I remain the consummate wise ..please feel free to email him as his long-lost relative as well...

To: darthdiesel@yahoo.com

Subject: Re: carl de la cruz

Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:29:00 -0600

you gotta be kidding me...

>To: john knick

>Subject: Re: carl de la cruz

>Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 21:20:14 -0800 (PST)

>

>

>Then we are not related - btw, what is your social security number,

>Mother's maiden name, DOB, and your bank account routing number while

we

>are at it? How about a credit card number too that I can run up??

> john knick wrote:greetings

>

>i am a mix of a spanish and a german.

>i currently reside in San Jose, CA

>

>i realize there are thousands of carl de la cruz's thats why

>i need you to confirm your date of birth, and your mothers maiden name

>i have narrowed all the carl de la cruz's down to 3 left over.

>

>please reply soon, this is a great oppurtunity

>

>yours truly

>

>john knick

>john_knick@hotmail.com

> >From: Carl De La Cruz

> >To: john knick

> >Subject: Re: carl de la cruz

> >Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:25:12 -0800 (PST)

> >

> >

> >What is your Ethnic Background? There are thousands of Carl De La

Cruz's

>,

> >in the California area alone? Where did you get this email?

> > john knick wrote:

> >hi

> >

> >my name is john knick, and as strange as this may sound

> >i think that you may be a relative of mine. however i need to

confirm

>this,

> >what is the date of your birth?

> >

> >please reply asap, because i have been researching extensively

> >and i truely do think that we are relatives.

> >

> >thanks

> >

> >yours truly

> >

> >john knick

> >john_knick@hotmail.com

I am laughing so hard! i didn't doubt you but - the guy has to be insane. he belongs on that dumb crook news thing! He must scam little old ladies for a living. This guy really needs to have a lesson taught to him though. i still don't understand how he got that id with all the feedback - that is really troublesome for ebay's "integrity". I get pissed when it seems like ebay does nothing about like this. I tseems they could tighten up on things to prevent it but they seem to be just after their fees. Hell -maybe this chump is related to me, let me send him my social and mother's maiden name. everyone with my last name is related. Bet if i talked with him his last name would be zippy too?

i still don't understand how he got that id with all the feedback - that is really troublesome for ebay's "integrity". I get pissed when it seems like ebay does nothing about like this. I tseems they could tighten up on things to prevent it but they seem to be just after their fees.

Not sure what there is to udnerstand. Someone scammed some powerseller type out of their username and password. Once they have that the account is under their control and they can do anything they want to it- including changing usernames (and passwords) and listing 15k comics books.

As for what ebay is doing about it... The reality is- short of changing the username/ password system for authentication, there isn't much they can do. As long as the key to the kingdom is l/p then it's up to user's to watch their own asses and many of them don't. They're clueless to the dangers and are unaware of the methods scammers use to get your information..To be honest, with the personal information some people have dropped on here someone with a enfarious bent could probably hijack an account or two around here. Chances are pretty good that amongst the assembled masses here there are plenty of pet's names/ wive's name/ favorite characters/ titles/ sports teams/ drinks/ etc. used as passwords. Easy pickings. That's before you take the step of sending out the scam email I outline above.