• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Us Your silver age "hard to find in high grade" books!

1,000 posts in this topic

You hear it all the time. "hard to find in high grade" or "you never see these in high grade"

Let's see those books that you really sweated after to get in nice shape from anywhere in the silver age era.

I'll start off with a book I think of everytime I hear that.

Here's a little back story. Mid to late 90's at the San Diego Con, and I luck out and find both a nice Jimmy Olsen 17 and 19. I am talking to another dealer and his friend and I show them the two books. The dealer says to his friend "you know what goes in between those two, don't you?" The friend says to me "good luck with the 18, that one's rare in nice shape."

Well I eventually got an 18 as filler and it was a dog! I remembered what those guys told me. Three years ago at the Wizard World Long Beach, Harley Yee tells me he has a nice batch of DC 10 centers. I see this one and buy it immediately:

jo18.jpg

Maybe 15 years ago, I bought a copy of Jonny Quest (gold key) # 1. It was about a VG copy and I was thrilled to have it but always wanted a much nicer copy.

When this popped up for sale on the boards a couple years ago, I jumped on it.

:banana:

JQ_1CGC.jpg

I guess just about any early SA ten cent DC could qualify. This one, for instance, tops the census and is rarely offered for sale in any grade above VG. It's the only nice copy I've seen offered for sale over the past four years. The cover art is attributed to Gil Kane, and I'm hard-pressed to find another example of his cover work that I like as much:

MIS59.jpg.

Sweet! :applause:

I was pretty stoked when I found these mid-grade copies at Bedrock City several years back. I imagine there are some ultra high-grade copies out there somewhere, but I've never seen 'em.

MGA021.jpg

TOU024.jpg

I guess just about any early SA ten cent DC could qualify. This one, for instance, tops the census and is rarely offered for sale in any grade above VG. It's the only nice copy I've seen offered for sale over the past four years. The cover art is attributed to Gil Kane, and I'm hard-pressed to find another example of his cover work that I like as much:

MIS59.jpg.

This should be a great thread. Good idea Silver!

Gotta agree on the MIS 59. That's a fantastic, colorful copy. I've been looking for a decent copy for ages and I just don't seem to find one at the right time and place. This one just sold for $107 on Ebay and if I hadn't just bought a few books I would have gone after it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140386732423&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I don't have them, but maybe someone can show them...

1) OAAW 81

oaaw81.jpg

I've had a pretty good year picking off a few tough, higher grade books. Of course, by 'higher grade', I don't mean 9.4s.... DCs from this era are so, so hard to find in nice shape.

Here's a few:

gic45.jpg

I've had a pretty good year picking off a few tough, higher grade books. Of course, by 'higher grade', I don't mean 9.4s.... DCs from this era are so, so hard to find in nice shape.

Here's a few:

gic45.jpg

You're right, high grade for most 10-cent DCs is maybe 7.0 or so. Great war books, by the way!