• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would a PGX 9.8 be equivalent to by CGC?

35 posts in this topic

I found a book that I really want that was graded by PGX as 9.8. I will eventually have it graded by CGC but want to know, generally speaking, would a PGX 9.8 be equivelent to a CGC 9.8?

K.

I found a book that I really want that was graded by PGX as 9.8. I will eventually have it graded by CGC but want to know, generally speaking, would a PGX 9.8 be equivelent to a CGC 9.8?

K.

Oh no way man.

It all depends on the book. I have a PGX Civil War #1 in PGX 9.9 White Pages. I have shown it to a lot of dealers and collectors. I can't find the least microscopic fault with this book. Neither have they. I would not be surprised at all if it came back from The CGC in a Gem Mint 10.0 It's that nice. It will all depend on what era the book is from and your grading. If you honestly think the book is a legitimate 9.8 then send it in. You'll get your answer.

depends on the age of the book,and several factors..

golden-age books seem to grade lower at cgc,with undisclosed resto from pgx...

ive had good luck with silver-age coming back higher cgc graded.

and from what ive seen and heard,bronze and newer also seem to come back a better cgc grade...

but at the end,its all a roll of the dice... how lucky do you feel? if the 9.8 comes back a cgc 9.6,is it still worth what you paid for a pgx 9.8?most likely.

Anything better,and its a win for you.... DO IT!

Not to mention the fact that, if you're interested in eventually moving the book, some people simply won't touch PGX. I know I won't. The biggest benefit of slabbing, for me, is the resto check, and from what I've read, PGX seem to have a fairly spotty record in that department.

I have sent books to PGX that came back restored. Such as

Color Touch, Tear Seals, Cover Regloss, etc... I have no reason to

believe their resto check is faulty as I was unaware of some of them.

I think things sometimes get missed by both companies. Wasn't

someone submitting trimmed books to CGC a year or so ago that wasn't

detected. I have had no problems with PGX other than thinking they are

VERY harsh on high grade books. My LCS owner agreed when I showed

him some that came back. CGC is more reputable, PGX is cheaper!

I have had no problems with PGX other than thinking they are

him some that came back.

PGX hands out 9.9's and 10.0's for modern books like they were going out of style - I've never seen a PGX book that wasn't overgraded.

I have had no problems with PGX other than thinking they are

him some that came back.

PGX hands out 9.9's and 10.0's for modern books like they were going out of style - I've never seen a PGX book that wasn't overgraded.

kryptospidey

depends on the age of the book,and several factors..

ive had good luck with silver-age coming back higher cgc graded.

and from what ive seen and heard,bronze and newer also seem to come back a better cgc grade...

hm

I have sent books to PGX that came back restored. Such as

Color Touch, Tear Seals, Cover Regloss, etc... I have no reason to

believe their resto check is faulty as I was unaware of some of them.

I think things sometimes get missed by both companies. Wasn't

someone submitting trimmed books to CGC a year or so ago that wasn't

detected. I have had no problems with PGX other than thinking they are

him some that came back. CGC is more reputable, PGX is cheaper!

THAT being said,if PGX is grading your books harsher than CGC... and the price value is MULTIPLES in high grade,how is PGX being cheaper, doing you any good,when your leaving potential value of a book if you sell it,off of the table?

Total hypothetical here,but..Say a book grades 9.2 at PGX and you save $30 to have it slabbed,but the same book in 9.4 sells for 2 1/2 times the 9.2 value,and you and the comic shop owner think its a solid 9.4 OR HIGHER,how did saving $30 to get it slabbed at PGX work out for you in the long term if/when you ever sold that book??(even if its for your personal collection,at some point in time,yours or someone elses,that book will be sold). Personally i dont understand it,i have never,nor will ever slab a book at PGX..I WILL however,buy all the 9.4's sitting in 9.2 PGX slabs,and send them to CGC myself whenever the opportunity presents itself...and again,this is all just my thoughts on PGX and getting books graded by them. Those are your books,and for you to choose to do with as you please. (thumbs u

K.

maybe . . . maybe not . . . lol:insane:

I've never seen a PGX book that wasn't overgraded.

This is just not true. There has been many examples here on these boards where PGX books have come back from CGC graded higher. In fact, for a while at least, PGX books in the 8.5/9.0 range were regularly coming back from CGC 9.2/9.4. I know... I had some myself and I know other boardies that took advantage of the tendency of PGX to grade very harshly in this range.

That said, I agree that PGX 9.8 are a shoot and 9.9/10.0 are a joke.

Like I stated earlier. I have a Civil War #1 Variant PGX 9.9 White Pages. I am willing to bet anybody that this book comes back a 9.9 or 10 from The CGC. The book is flawless or at the very least the best that print run had to offer. It is easily the nicest book I own or have ever seen.

I have one in the works! I cracked a Super Friends PGX 9.6 in the hopes of starting a registry set.

I think the biggest difference between the two is consistency. Every now and then CGC can surprise you with a grade, but PGX seems to be all over the place. Some look right some don't, some look high and some look low. 2c

Once I get the grade, I'll update everyone. (thumbs u

Like I stated earlier. I have a Civil War #1 Variant PGX 9.9 White Pages. I am willing to bet anybody that this book comes back a 9.9 or 10 from The CGC. The book is flawless or at the very least the best that print run had to offer. It is easily the nicest book I own or have ever seen.

You mention this book in every single PGX thread that gets started here. How about sending it in & finally getting confirmation?