• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would a PGX 9.8 be equivalent to by CGC?

35 posts in this topic

Like I stated earlier. I have a Civil War #1 Variant PGX 9.9 White Pages. I am willing to bet anybody that this book comes back a 9.9 or 10 from The CGC. The book is flawless or at the very least the best that print run had to offer. It is easily the nicest book I own or have ever seen.

You mention this book in every single PGX thread that gets started here. How about sending it in & finally getting confirmation?

+1

I found a book that I really want that was graded by PGX as 9.8. I will eventually have it graded by CGC but want to know, generally speaking, would a PGX 9.8 be equivelent to a CGC 9.8?

K.

No, a PGX 9.8 is not equivalent to receiving a CGC 9.8. A PGX 9.8 is the equivalent of walking into CGC's headquarters and having Paul Litch walk up to you, kick you in the nuts, color in a couple of stress lines on your comic with magic marker, slice off a thin piece along the top edge of the comic, steal a ten dollar bill out of your wallet, slap a plastic case around your comic, and then send you on your way.

I found a book that I really want that was graded by PGX as 9.8. I will eventually have it graded by CGC but want to know, generally speaking, would a PGX 9.8 be equivelent to a CGC 9.8?

K.

No, a PGX 9.8 is not equivalent to receiving a CGC 9.8. A PGX 9.8 is the equivalent of walking into CGC's headquarters and having Paul Litch walk up to you, kick you in the nuts, color in a couple of stress lines on your comic with magic marker, slice off a thin piece along the top edge of the comic, steal a ten dollar bill out of your wallet, slap a plastic case around your comic, and then send you on your way.

:roflmao:

There have been members of this site who have had good luck subbing pgx to cgc, normally 9.0 and up. One in particular (forgot the user's name) who sent a pgx 9.0 and came back 9.6 from cgc. Though It seems that grades 7.0 and under pgx isn't nearly as strict (I own two that I feel are slightly overgraded, a 5.0 and 6.5). The reported missing of resto is what scares me the most about pgx though.

There have been members of this site who have had good luck subbing pgx to cgc, normally 9.0 and up. One in particular (forgot the user's name) who sent a pgx 9.0 and came back 9.6 from cgc. Though It seems that grades 7.0 and under pgx isn't nearly as strict (I own two that I feel are slightly overgraded, a 5.0 and 6.5). The reported missing of resto is what scares me the most about pgx though.

Those who take the risks, reap the rewards :baiting:

very true. I actually wouldn't mind taking a stab at a 9.0 or 9.2 pgx silver age book if it was at a good price. Only problem is my new interest is G.A and there's just no way in hell i'm forking out high dollars on possible restored books. Same reason I don't buy raw. I've been burnt in the past.

very true. I actually I wouldn't mind taking a stab at a 9.0 or 9.2 pgx silver age book if it was at a good price. Only problem is my new interest is G.A and there's just no way in hell i'm forking out high dollars on possible restored books.

Very smart thinking. In my experience Daniel at PGX does grade strictly in the higher grades, but He is way to soft in the mid and lower.

I had a PGX GA Jumbo that he had at 4.0 and I sent it to CGC last week just to see what they say. No way it comes back better than 3.0

Why would I bother to send my book in? I am very happy as it is. It's the nicest book condition wise I have ever owned. I don't plan on selling the book. So it is fine as it is. But I will get a scan of the book and put it up. Then it can be judged. A lot of collectors and dealers have seen this book. They all agree that the book is as close to perfect as it can be.

Why would I bother to send my book in? I am very happy as it is. It's the nicest book condition wise I have ever owned. I don't plan on selling the book. So it is fine as it is. But I will get a scan of the book and put it up. Then it can be judged. A lot of collectors and dealers have seen this book. They all agree that the book is as close to perfect as it can be.

Nobody cares HoSer.

Go start a PGX chat room so you can keep having this same conversation with yourself. (thumbs u