• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City Con Report

50 posts in this topic

Stuart with my Vampirella

SAM_0193.jpg

Judging from the comics Stuart has on the table I would say Greggy was there.

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. Stuart's really into Nick Cardy art. Plus he said he has comic spinner racks in his place so that when people come over they can grab one to read. Romance isn't continuity heavy.

Here's another shot of the market underground of a comic shop called "Golden Age Collectibles"

It's too bad they don't actually have a single golden age comic in the place!

It's been there a long time though so more power to them for lasting. (Almost 40 years)

SAM_0202.jpg

I swear I thought that was a cardboard cutout of Mark Haspel to the right.

Stuart with my Vampirella

SAM_0193.jpg

Judging from the comics Stuart has on the table I would say Greggy was there.

I was wondering if anyone would notice that. Stuart's really into Nick Cardy art. Plus he said he has comic spinner racks in his place so that when people come over they can grab one to read. Romance isn't continuity heavy.

He's a big Silver-Bronze Age fan. He used to work at a comic store and would buy up all of the good silver and bronze back issues. He and I have spent hours talking about some of the most obscure bronze age stuff. He's a wealth of knowledge.

OMG IT'S A VOLCANO!

Seriously, it's a volcano. This shot I took while up on the Space Needle (which is really too expensive like most towers in other cities).

I've zoomed in on the shot and you have to realize that Mt. Rainier is approximately 60 miles away from Seattle and it just looms there like a giant behemoth.

From the top of the tower you can actually see two volcanos. Mt Baker to the North and then this one to the Southeast.

SAM_0219.jpg

I've seen them from a plane in the distance and they are menacing!

Yeah, Seattle will be toast if and when Rainier erupts with a fury.

Pretty much all of Western Washington would be gone or under so much toxic ash that it would be uninhabitable. The "valley" would no longer exist, which is the hub of western WA. And to think, I have to move back there in a little less than a month.....Woo hoo..... :cry:

I had the pleasure of meeting Jenny and getting a sketch by her, and I have to say that she was extremely cool and love her work. I believe she's local here to Chicago and also has a Chicago webcomic she's working on. Great gal whose very easy to talk to (very easy on the eyes as well) and a great artist.

the scan is pretty light, it's in pencil...

th_scan0018-1.jpg

The last piece of art I acquired was a surprise as well. I was chatting with Nei Ruffino (who is heavily involved with Zenescope stuff) and she mentioned that she picked up a Vampirella Second Coming cover from Jenny Frison. I asked to see it and was really blown away at how good it was especially by an artist that I hadn't heard of before.

Nei told me that there was another one available so I immediately went over to meet Jenny and to see the other cover. Not only is Jenny cute but this girl can draw! My wife and I were both blown away by the cover that was still available.

Needless to say, it's mine now. :acclaim:

Also, her art rep is going to send me the original painted background too! He liked the piece so much that he actually uses the image for his own business card. Here's a much better pic from the web site than what my iPhone camera could do.

Jenny is going to be A-list very soon with work like this!

VampirellaCover.jpg

My favorite part of the convention was coming over the to Mahnke booth to say hi to Jon...oh wait, you never did...sigh

:sorry:

Sorry Jon!

With the big cons like these it's definitely a lot to take in. It it wasn't for business cards that I pick up I'd wouldn't remember any tables that I've been too!

You were at the forum dinner though right?

My favorite part of the convention was coming over the to Mahnke booth to say hi to Jon...oh wait, you never did...sigh

:sorry:

Sorry Jon!

With the big cons like these it's definitely a lot to take in. It it wasn't for business cards that I pick up I'd wouldn't remember any tables that I've been too!

You were at the forum dinner though right?

I'll bet he wasn't.

I'll try to keep this report light on words even if that's difficult for me.

Pics via iPhone will be posted throughout the day so check back often. Once I get back home I can post pics from my camera.

Had dinner with Greggy last night! I'm sure he'll agree, we ate too much!

I won't post the pics of us wearing our bibs. :insane:

First pic coming in a second as this house we're staying in is great!

Hey Buffyfan I appreciate the ECC update. I live in the Seattle area, but havn't made the time to visit the annual for a loooong time. Great to be able to get updates like these. I really need to get back into it. Always remember enjoying it so much.

-bounty