• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody know this "ex" CGC employee?

65 posts in this topic

All right, I accept he isn't a cad or a bounder. He's (obviously) a damn fine geezer.

to goad him by calling him a cad and a bounder. And a mountebank

What the hell language are you guys speaking - I thought you Brits spoke the same tongue as us Americans ( bad grammar notwithstanding.) Bounder? Mountback? What's next - going out to the store to buy a pack of [!@#%^&^] and then back home to watch a bit of telly in your knickers? grin.gif Of course I'm joking.

Actually, I thought a bounder and a cad were the same thing? I had know idea what a mountback was until I looked it up.

All right, I accept he isn't a cad or a bounder. He's (obviously) a damn fine geezer.

to goad him by calling him a cad and a bounder. And a mountebank

What the hell language are you guys speaking - I thought you Brits spoke the same tongue as us Americans ( bad grammar notwithstanding.) Bounder? Mountback? What's next - going out to the store to buy a pack of [!@#%^&^] and then back home to watch a bit of telly in your knickers? grin.gif Of course I'm joking.

Actually, I thought a bounder and a cad were the same thing? I had know idea what a mountback was until I looked it up.

That's MOUNTEBANK, yer bleedin' nonce!! For the record, I remember Steve Englehart using that word in Detective 475 (The Sign of the Joker) when the permagrinned one makes a dramatic entrance and declares that he is the "Mountebank of mountebanks himself - pre-recorded for this time zone!!"

For some reason that bizarre line has always stayed with me (I've reread that run by Englehart and Rogers a hundred times). Great stuff.

As for cad and bounder, yeah they're synonymous. However they're archaic, aristocratic words that are rarely used anymore (and then only ironically, as above)

Believe me, most of our insults and slang are at least 50% U.S. oriented. We never used to say STFU, or " MFer" or "scuzzball" etc. etc. etc. But then 20 years ago we never celebrated Halloween, either (a festivus that's got nothing to do with us).

Yep, we speak the same language, at least a little. And I certainly AM fond of going back home to watch a bit of telly in my knickers. It's the great British pastime. grin.gif

Andy, what Bizarro UK are you living in, matey?

Halloween has been celebrated here for many, many decades. I can remember in my youth (and I was once young, believe it or not) engaging in all sorts of stupid games, including but not limited to, bobbing for apples. Trick or Treat was replaced by Knock and Run, which usually involved a piece of cr@p-covered newspaper left on a doorstep, this being set alight seconds before the door was knocked...you can imagine the results?

And as for UK slang being 50% American-orientated....I cannot ever remember hearing anyone, ever, using the expression scuzzball...and I'm the one with the American wife.

Get off your mid-Atlantic high horse, ya nancy ... wink.gif