• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Fans of Kraven's Last Hunt in the house?

87 posts in this topic

I never read Spidey during this time. I take it from all the commotion that I should read this story? I assume there's a Graphic Novel I can pick up?

There's a TPB in softcover and a nice hardcover they put out recently. One of the top five Spider-man story arcs.

I might have an extra copy of the TPB laying around if you want to PM me your address.

Best,

Chris

I never read Spidey during this time. I take it from all the commotion that I should read this story? I assume there's a Graphic Novel I can pick up?

If you build it up too much beforehand, I think you will be disappointed. I was compelled to re-read it in its entirety a few years ago and it wasn't as good as I had remembered it. Don't get me wrong - it was very bold and daring for its day, and most of it still holds up pretty well, but if you're like me and are more a fan of the Silver and Bronze Age ASM art & stories, you may find yourself wondering what all the fuss is about.

If you build it up too much beforehand, I think you will be disappointed. I was compelled to re-read it in its entirety a few years ago and it wasn't as good as I had remembered it. Don't get me wrong - it was very bold and daring for its day, and most of it still holds up pretty well, but if you're like me and are more a fan of the Silver and Bronze Age ASM art & stories, you may find yourself wondering what all the fuss is about.

Aw Gene, it's all those Elvgrens and Gonzalez pieces you've got...the dearth of smokin' hot ladies in the story probably can't keep your interest anymore. lol

I guess it's impossible to have a story that doesn't show it's age after all this time. The story elements of most of the great comic stories of the last 30-40 years have elements of that dated feeling. I don't know if that diminishes their quality though.

Thanks Chris, Gene. I do like the Silver and Bronze age books but I do also like V, Watchmen, Sandman, DK, NTT (original Perez) and a bunch other post-1970's stuff so I'm sure I'll like it if it's good. It's nice to have something new to read that will be more than 1 or 2 issues and I'll have a good chance of liking. Doesn't happen that often with comics. Doesn't happen very often with books in general actually. If only GRR Martin would get off his lazy and finish those damned books!

Ruben did you ever read Walt Simopnson's run on Thor, its one of the best story arcs in the 80's and has been collected into 3 Graphic Novels. Definately a worthwhile read.

I read it "off the newstands". I remember how quickly they sold out and convincing my friend's uncle to drive us into Queens from NJ. We called every comic shop and newsstand in the NYC phonebook and found a store that was selling the issues at cover price. Even he had realized how popular the books were and was only selling one per kid. My friend and I got four other kids to cram into the car with us so we could each have 3 copies!

I remember feeling a little bit cheated in the way they resolved things after the big battle. I'm being purposely vague in case anyone didn't read it and wants to. In the end I guess that was nothing compared to how I felt after Death of Superman and a variety of other EPIC moments that were then "reset".

Yeah it was superb run, I hope you carried on reading the book after issue #253 when that story arc concluded.

I hear that Marvel are planing on doing an Omnibus edition with all the Walt Simonson books right up to and including the Balder the Brave mini series done by Sal Buscema.