• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tear on the cover and affect on grade

33 posts in this topic

I'd go 7.5 on that Planet

I agree. 7.5 is sometimes a catch all for an otherwise higher grade book in the 8.5/9.0 arena with a flaw like this tear. Remember, in theory, the grade CGC assigns is the highest grade they feel they can safely assign. They don't seem to feel comfortable assigning an 8.0 with a significant tear so 7.5 is often what you get. When making a purchase, I think 7.5's are the best bargain as you can often get a high grade looking book on the cheap because of one flaw.

BTW, an extremely nice looking book.

Blue label 8.5 with 3/4" x 1/8" piece out of front cover (below Green Lantern's feet)

3/8" edge tear on back cover outer edge (in line with girl's hat)

Slightly blunted corner with very minor abrasion (lower spine, best seen from back cover).

I guess people will say this one gets the double gift grade of being a Golden Age comic and a high profile comic (mile high).

I just say it's a mislabeled 7.0/7.5 book that will probably only be sold with a very low resolution picture!

016.jpg

017.jpg

I agree. 7.5 is sometimes a catch all for an otherwise higher grade book in the 8.5/9.0 arena with a flaw like this tear. Remember, in theory, the grade CGC assigns is the highest grade they feel they can safely assign. They don't seem to feel comfortable assigning an 8.0 with a significant tear so 7.5 is often what you get.

What high-grade examples have you seen where CGC gave one of these "safe" grades to a book with a tear? I haven't seen many at all myself. I did a search yesterday in the forums on the word "tear" and found dozens of threads asking this same question, how do you downgrade for a tear, and found zero examples of CGC slabs with tears other than the ones posted here. Giving out "safe" lowball grades is far, FAR more common in this forum than it is in Sarasota...it's easy to bolster a reputation as a tight grader when you don't have paying customers. :whistle: Every time I see somebody CLEARLY lowball a grade in this forum so that they can just think to themselves "I'm a tighter grader than CGC!" (and I'm not implying that's what's happened in this thread, downgrading for tears is tough), it makes me want to smack the mess out of them. (tsk)

here is one of the books in question:

ba0dbbbc.jpg

and I don't think it is a 9.0, I just had to start with a reference of grade. I do want to buy it, slightly pricey for the tear.....

That book looks pretty nice, but it's not NM nice. I'd stick with the 7.5 grade but would think it might have a shot at a higher grade if the entire book were nicer. Maybe 8.0 if the rest of the book was perfect.

I agree. 7.5 is sometimes a catch all for an otherwise higher grade book in the 8.5/9.0 arena with a flaw like this tear. Remember, in theory, the grade CGC assigns is the highest grade they feel they can safely assign. They don't seem to feel comfortable assigning an 8.0 with a significant tear so 7.5 is often what you get.

What high-grade examples have you seen where CGC gave one of these "safe" grades to a book with a tear? I haven't seen many at all myself. I did a search yesterday in the forums on the word "tear" and found dozens of threads asking this same question, how do you downgrade for a tear, and found zero examples of CGC slabs with tears other than the ones posted here. Giving out "safe" lowball grades is far, FAR more common in this forum than it is in Sarasota...it's easy to bolster a reputation as a tight grader when you don't have paying customers. :whistle: Every time I see somebody CLEARLY lowball a grade in this forum so that they can just think to themselves "I'm a tighter grader than CGC!" (and I'm not implying that's what's happened in this thread, downgrading for tears is tough), it makes me want to smack the mess out of them. (tsk)

Don't know who you are referring to but since I'm a seller I'll respond if for nothing else than to add some discussion:

I had a Thrilling #70 for sale a few months ago that I listed as an 8.0/8.5 a while back and I noted a 1/2" tear. I just measured it...it's 11mm long so I guess that makes it more like a 3/8" tear. I know that sounds funny to analyze it that closely but I think the length of the tear determines the grade. I erred on the high side with my guesstimate but my book was also higher grade to start with....maybe 9.2-9.4. On this book (the Planet) it looks like a genuine 1/2" tear, hence my guesstimate of 7.5.

Blue label 8.5 with 3/4" x 1/8" piece out of front cover (below Green Lantern's feet)

3/8" edge tear on back cover outer edge (in line with girl's hat)

Slightly blunted corner with very minor abrasion (lower spine, best seen from back cover).

I guess people will say this one gets the double gift grade of being a Golden Age comic and a high profile comic (mile high).

I just say it's a mislabeled 7.0/7.5 book that will probably only be sold with a very low resolution picture!

016.jpg

that is sweet! It is hard to grade when emotions get in the way.

Don't know who you are referring to but since I'm a seller I'll respond if for nothing else than to add some discussion:

I had a Thrilling #70 for sale a few months ago that I listed as an 8.0/8.5 a while back and I noted a 1/2" tear. I just measured it...it's 11mm long so I guess that makes it more like a 3/8" tear. I know that sounds funny to analyze it that closely but I think the length of the tear determines the grade. I erred on the high side with my guesstimate but my book was also higher grade to start with....maybe 9.2-9.4. On this book (the Planet) it looks like a genuine 1/2" tear, hence my guesstimate of 7.5.

SIZE MATTERS.....

here is the other book with a tear I am buying. Due to scarcity, this one was never much of an issue, I would buy any way. Graded by dealer at a 6.0

383d7a34.jpg

here is the other book with a tear I am buying. Due to scarcity, this one was never much of an issue, I would buy any way.

Which, of course, is the real bottom line. :acclaim:

+ date stamp to boot! :applause:

what is the date stamp obsession going on? lol