• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

Only in the wonderful world of comics is restoration considered a bad thing. GOD BLESSTHANK GOD...

Fixed that for ya.

I know this doesn't apply to you, Tim.....but I wonder how many people who hate restoration have ever even seen a professionally restored book. I had a Bat 11 that Matt worked on and it was d@mn nice....and affordable. As for Gator and the cleaned Bat 1....I think you should have gone for it....best deal I've seen in a long time. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a riend of jesus) (thumbs u

Only in the wonderful world of comics is restoration considered a bad thing. GOD BLESSTHANK GOD...

Fixed that for ya.

I know this doesn't apply to you, Tim.....but I wonder how many people who hate restoration have ever even seen a professionally restored book. I had a Bat 11 that Matt worked on and it was d@mn nice....and affordable. As for Gator and the cleaned Bat 1....I think you should have gone for it....best deal I've seen in a long time. GOD BLESS...

Of course the books look really nice--that`s the whole point of restoration, isn`t it? But it`s not real. Therefore, it`s appropriate that the hobby discounts the price of a restored book significantly because a sharp looking restored book is not the same thing as a sharp looking "real" book.

I`ve watched some car auctions on TV and just shake my head when cars that are the equivalent of frankenbooks go for top prices.

To me it's not so much price but stigma. I'd always agree that genuine NM should go for more...I just hate to see people avoid something that would probably make them very happy just because they don't want to be seperated from the herd. The herd mentality is here to stay, it's ingrained human nature. It's just a shame when people miss out because of it. The chief examples for me are restored Fine and below. Those books have already been significantly altered by time and environment....what difference is a little resto ? If we're talking tear seals and slight color touch....some spine reinforcement.... I'd rather have the restored 5.0 than the unrestored. It will be more solid and durable. ...and throw in a supersize of staple replacement will you're at it :) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

To me it's not so much price but stigma. I'd always agree that genuine NM should go for more...I just hate to see people avoid something that would probably make them very happy just because they don't want to be seperated from the herd. The herd mentality is here to stay, it's ingrained human nature. It's just a shame when people miss out because of it. The chief examples for me are restored Fine and below. Those books have already been significantly altered by time and environment....what difference is a little resto ? If we're talking tear seals and slight color touch....some spine reinforcement.... I'd rather have the restored 5.0 than the unrestored. It will be more solid and durable. ...and throw in a supersize of staple replacement will you're at it :) GOD BLESS...

I agree completely about low grade restored, and often see comments about low grade restored books that have me scratching my head. If you're talking about a VGish book I really don't care all that much if the book has a little resto. And as you say, in a lot of cases the book is better off for it.

As for the stigma against restored books.. I think a huge part of the issue is that (1) it can be very difficult to quantify what's been done to a book without professional help, and (2) apparent grades are all over the map. Once you get past minor resto, a restored book is very much an unknown quantity.

That said, I have several restored books in my collection and will take a good looking restored book over a shabby looking unrestored low grade every time.

restored mid grade copies of Batman 1 are not going up in value but rather down. All unrestored copies are going up. I don't think restored copies are a good value for any

early tec, action, superman or batman book.

wow, my experience is just the opposite... restored Bat 1's are up about 20-50% from where they were just a year ago ...we have bought and sold 4 restored copies, all at 20-50% more than our cost, and I have observed at least 3 other similar sales (one was almost double the cost, 100% return/increase)...

and, similarly, early restored Actions are a great investment..I have already been offered as much as 50% more than my cost on them...as long as they are action 1, 7, 10 and 13 (thumbs u

you might be the exception because ebay had a cgc 5.5 ep batman 1 with no trimming or married pages and off white pages sell a few months ago for $9,500. Also there are several batman 1, (5) that are all restored and none selling.

maybe my opinion on early actions is wrong when you consider 1 and 7 and probably tec 27 but as much as I love tec 29, 31 and 35 more than any other books in the world (these 3 books give me goosebumps) restored mid grade are not moving up.

An extensively restored book is a very different animal than a moderate or a slight resto book. There is really no comparison between them.

I agree completely about low grade restored, and often see comments about low grade restored books that have me scratching my head. If you're talking about a VGish book I really don't care all that much if the book has a little resto. And as you say, in a lot of cases the book is better off for it.

As for the stigma against restored books.. I think a huge part of the issue is that (1) it can be very difficult to quantify what's been done to a book without professional help, and (2) apparent grades are all over the map. Once you get past minor resto, a restored book is very much an unknown quantity.

That said, I have several restored books in my collection and will take a good looking restored book over a shabby looking unrestored low grade every time.

...and that is the main problem. Lack of understanding.

If the buyer of the restored Tec #27 that recently sold for $85K knew it was a 3.0-4.0 book before resto the book would like have sold for almost double.

It's the lack of education and understanding that create a fear of restored books.

...and that is the main problem. Lack of understanding.

If the buyer of the restored Tec #27 that recently sold for $85K knew it was a 3.0-4.0 book before resto the book would like have sold for almost double.

It's the lack of education and understanding that create a fear of restored books.

Hey Roy,

I don't know that I completely agree with what you are saying. I think a lot of the fear comes from people seeing the huge difference in price over time of restored versus un restored. Myself, I figure I am like a lot of other collectors and would rather have unrestored versus restored but given the prices unrestored are going for these days, one must be:

1. rich (which I am not)

2. willing to settle for restored (which I will)

3. willing to do without (an option but it isnt particularly attractive)

I know next to nothing about the processes used to restore books but I assume that the techniques used today are better than those used 20 years ago. Isn't it a decent probability that 20 years from now the techniques will be much better? Those real nice looking restored books may look amateurish in 20 years. Just from a value standpoint, I would wait to restore books I plan on holding for a long time until it's time to sell.

I'll disagree with you.

The achieved price that a restored book fetches at market has less to do with the final restored grade and more to do with the condition of the book before resto and the amount of resto performed.

I'm not saying a restored book should fetch close to what an unrestored book fetches.

What I am saying is that people would pay more for certain restored books if they knew more about restoration and what was done to the books.

The reason people are either afraid to pay for restored books or have gotten burned by buying restored books as unrestored is because they did not know how to either detect or understand the restoration done.

With understanding comes power.

:grin:

I'll disagree with you.

The achieved price that a restored book fetches at market has less to do with the final restored grade and more to do with the condition of the book before resto and the amount of resto performed.

I'm not saying a restored book should fetch close to what an unrestored book fetches.

What I am saying is that people would pay more for certain restored books if they knew more about restoration and what was done to the books.

The reason people are either afraid to pay for restored books or have gotten burned by buying restored books as unrestored is because they did not know how to either detect or understand the restoration done.

With understanding comes power.

:grin:

I catch what you are saying and agree. From CGCs description it is tough to tell what really happened.with the book. Not knowing definitely pushes me towards the slight category.

So people who don`t like restored books have either been burned or are just ignorant? :screwy:

How about if they just despise restored books? I think collectors are entitled to despise restored books without being called ignorant. Yes, I`ve been burned by undisclosed restored books in the past, but if I`d known they were restored I would never have bought them in the first place, at any price, so it`s not because of being burned that I don`t like them.

So people who don`t like restored books have either been burned or are just ignorant? :screwy:

How about if they just despise restored books? I think collectors are entitled to despise restored books without being called ignorant. Yes, I`ve been burned by undisclosed restored books in the past, but if I`d known they were restored I would never have bought them in the first place, at any price, so it`s not because of being burned that I don`t like them.

May I ask why you despise restored books?

Didn't the Denver Batman 1 cgc 9.0 (SP) go for a high of $60K? restored Bats seem to be ok
I am still 50/50 on whether talking myself out of this one was a good decision, or bad (shrug)

I have to admit I was even tempted by that book, but I would have had to sell majority of my books for it, I doubt the price of that book when it returns to market will be lower

Didn't the Denver Batman 1 cgc 9.0 (SP) go for a high of $60K? restored Bats seem to be ok
I am still 50/50 on whether talking myself out of this one was a good decision, or bad (shrug)

I have to admit I was even tempted by that book, but I would have had to sell majority of my books for it, I doubt the price of that book when it returns to market will be lower

I hear you...I made a $55K offer minutes after the auction, but a day later, it sold at full 60K asking (4 days later I got the "offer declined email" lol )... I still think "should I have", but the point is moot now

He's a high grade snob..... :foryou:

Not that I would know anything about that. :whistle:

Because there`s nothing special about something that looks nice as a result of artificially being made to look nice. Either love the book in its ragged out condition or just pass on it, don`t twist and warp it to make it something it`s not.

I wasn't talking about specific people, I was talking about general mass opinion that collectors seem to have on resto. Obviously I can't pigeon hole every collector with one sentence but I believe that (based on what I read on here with all the questions and discussions) that if the general collecting public knew more about resto they would be more accepting about it.

Because there`s nothing special about something that looks nice as a result of artificially being made to look nice. Either love the book in its ragged out condition or just pass on it, don`t twist and warp it to make it something it`s not.

This is a fallacy and falls under my statement about lack of education and ignorance.

A restored book doesn't necessarily have to start out as a rag. I don't collect those books. The books I do collect are books that started out almost newsstand fresh before resto was done and were (in my opinion) unnecessarily restored...the resto did not affect the eye appeal at all (or not noticeably enough to warrant the resto in my opinion since the book was not a rag). I buy them for a song and they look like they are worth 10 times what I paid for them.

Not everyone has money to burn like you.

:P