• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

I think right now Everyone would take 1 over 2.... right

Unconditionally ?

Surely the price needed to be paid should be factored in ...

I would take (ii) if the price was 50% of (i).

well, the price is about 35% of it right now...I thought you meant if priced the same (shrug)

Unconditionally ?

well, the price is about 35% of it right now...I thought you meant if priced the same (shrug)

This 35% figure would then imply that a moderate/extensive job on a blue label book promptly would reduce its market-value by 65% ?

Wow! At least it would in this concrete case (that is if just for a moment assume that the mentioned figures (from where ever they are pulled?) are realistic. And I think they are ... :banana:

Unconditionally ?

This 35% figure would then imply that a moderate/extensive job on a blue label book promptly would reduce its market-value by 65% ?

Wow! At least it would in this concrete case (that is if just for a moment assume that the mentioned figures (from where ever they are pulled?) are realistic. And I think they are ... :banana:

they are, because the 8.5 Ext just sold for $66K and a 4.0 unrestored would likely sell in the 170K range...give or take (thumbs u

Unconditionally ?

they are, because the 8.5 Ext just sold for $66K and a 4.0 unrestored would likely sell in the 170K range...give or take (thumbs u

Less than a year ago a blue 1.5 sold at Heritage for approx. 83 K I think. And that with 5 grade ticks up to the 4.0 ...

Unconditionally ?

Less than a year ago a blue 1.5 sold at Heritage for approx. 83 K I think. And that with 5 grade ticks up to the 4.0 ...

I bought that copy with a specific purpose in mind (resubmit)...

got a 2.5 once resubmitted (thumbs u

Unconditionally ?

I though the Heritage copy went for about 77K (maybe with the juice?), which will in my view turn out to be a big bargain over the long haul, especially if it's possible to show future buyers proof of what the book appeared to be prior to resto. From what I understand the scans are out there; so if I were the new owner I'd work on having the old scans acquired and put in a packet of documents detailing precisely what was done (and what wasn;t). That's the sort of thing they do in most other collectibles fields and from all indications it makes a big difference to buyers and potential buyers.

Unconditionally ?

I though the Heritage copy went for about 77K (maybe with the juice?), which will in my view turn out to be a big bargain over the long haul, especially if it's possible to show future buyers proof of what the book appeared to be prior to resto. From what I understand the scans are out there; so if I were the new owner I'd work on having the old scans acquired and put in a packet of documents detailing precisely what was done (and what wasn;t). That's the sort of thing they do in most other collectibles fields and from all indications it makes a big difference to buyers and potential buyers.

, nope, was $66, 920 with juice (I was an under bidder)

Unconditionally ?

Ridiculously low price.

Wholesale price, actually -- like many other low grade or restored tec 27s and Action 1s that've passed through Heritage over the years.

Unless the new owner is careless or pressured, it will sell for much more the next time around.

Unconditionally ?

Ridiculously low price.

Wholesale price, actually -- like many other low grade or restored tec 27s and Action 1s that've passed through Heritage over the years.

Unless the new owner is careless or pressured, it will sell for much more the next time around.

what's funny is it only sold for $59K 6 months ago in heritage...

when I first bought the book 3 years ago in a clink auction, I got it for around 53K or so...we sold it for $80K.... been moving in the wrong direction ever since

For God's sake, someone please change this conversation.
+1

Man, that Batman #1 CGC 9.0 that Comiclink is auctioning is, um...awesome.

It sure is. It makes me feel gay happy!

lol

Unconditionally ?

Ridiculously low price.

when I first bought the book 3 years ago in a clink auction, I got it for around 53K or so...we sold it for $80K.... been moving in the wrong direction ever since

Well perhaps its time for this book - together with other restorativly de-aged Mega Grails - to make a new quantum leap then ?

Perhaps that was in Gators mind when he bid on it. I mean wanting to own it again. I can understand the thrill of buying it for 59K and then selling for 80K :applause: I definitely also think that this book has a significant investment potential. Sky is the limit so to say. But remember in the 66,920 there is also taxes. So the grand total is above that.

BUT what I dont dig is that 'wrong direction trend' documented by those figures pulled above ...? The current crisis makin itself felt perhaps? :preach:

Well perhaps its time for this book - together with other restorativly de-aged Mega Grails - to make a new quantum leap then ?

Perhaps that was in Gators mind when he bid on it. I mean wanting to own it again. I can understand the thrill of buying it for 59K and then selling for 80K :applause: I definitely also think that this book has a significant investment potential. Sky is the limit so to say. But remember in the 66,920 there is also taxes. So the grand total is above that.

BUT what I dont dig is that 'wrong direction trend' documented by those figures pulled above ...? The current crisis makin itself felt perhaps? :preach:

having sold the book once for 80K, I really did feel it was a 75K-80 K copy...so, yes, I was prepared to "pay" $65K for it... just got outbid by a bit...

and the final price was 66,920 net, the buyer paid no taxes on this purchase (thumbs u

Unconditionally ?

Ridiculously low price.

I like the guys at Heritage, but I thought it was a bad idea when I saw the book listed in the same auction as the 8.0 book, and immediately after it at that. Even a few minutes later would have been better.

They and the consigner were likely hoping that a bidder on the other book might hang in there and bid on the restored book. But the focus on the other book leading up to the sale meant that people just weren't thinking about the other book. At least not all that much.

If the restored 8.5 (an original 3.0-3.5?) had been the only book in that auction, and had been advertised as the best numerical grade copy available, with easy to absorb information about how little "work" was actually done to it -- and pointing out that an action 1 in similar restored grade (which needed more work to achieve that number) sold for about 120K the previous year, then that would have been the book people were talking about. Less publicity, sure, but all of it focused on the 8.5. In that scenario, I think the book brings a lot more. Auctioned a week or month after the million dollar sale, I think it makes more. Auction by its new owner at some point in the future with careful planning, I think it also makes more. (it would not be the first or even the fifth time a low grade megakey went cheap at auction and showed up later in a higher sale)

I know hindsight is easy, but I felt the same way prior to the auction and was simply hoping I turned out to be wrong. I wasn't, and somebody got a great book for a wholesale price.

let's not be fooled into "how little" work... keep in mind my old 8.5 was extensive for a reason... now, it was more of a culmination of lots of "little" things done that added up to extensive (in other words, not franken ext with large chunks replaced) but it was extensive (even if in hand it viewed more moderate)...

and this book was the "featured" tec (and one of the featured books 6 months ago) when it only managed 59K and change... so, I don't think it fared to bad at 10% more this time (and without me, it might have ended in the 60K range again (shrug) )

Rick, if indeed the book was a 3.0-3.5 (or whatever it was) then it went cheap IMO.

Are there any pics or references of the book before it was restored?

Rick, if indeed the book was a 3.0-3.5 (or whatever it was) then it went cheap IMO.

Are there any pics or references of the book before it was restored?

my point being is that outside of my private sale at 80K, it has always sold in the 50-mid 60 range... and everyone that has owned the book before and after me, knew the book (presumably) as well as I did...

the problem boils down to the restored (ext esp) stigma...

doesn't seem to matter that it had to of been a 3.0 or better to be able to get to a 8.5 grade (I mean, I have never seen a 1.0 be able to be restored higher than 7.0 or so)...the days of "rational" thinking that it should be worth at least as much as its previous unrestored grade went out the window moons ago...

will it return, I hope not, I like buying restored books at bargain prices (thumbs u