• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about SS grades

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just curious about how the grading process works for SS books, thinking about starting a SS collection for myself. My question is if a book has been signed by an artist and/or writer how much does the actual ink on the cover of the book take away from the grade or does it? I have seen SS books with 9.9 and 10.0 grades and was blown away that this could be possible, even if signed by somone who worked on the comic, is it not still ink on the cover? Like I said originally I think the SS books are awesome but not sure how there could be a 9.9 or 10 if they had ink on the cover and I would greatly appreciate any input.

I think the main thing you need to watch out for is the ink smudging, or a creator using a pen to sign a book, or a thin sharpie. The worry would be about them pressing too hard. Smudging or indentations through the cover from pressing to hard could and most likely would cause a grade drop.

Ink on the cover is taken into account for SS books, hence their own designation and label. Signature Series is a sort of qualified grade in itself. That's why you have yellow, green and purple labels.

Thanks,

I have several books that I am looking to get signed and/or sketched this year and was not sure how to go about it exactly, granted I know I must have a CGC rep verify the signings. Just was not sure about how the grading worked and it makes sense with the different labels.

Thanks again!

Just remember that 9.9 and 10.0 grades are extremely rare, signature series or not. Btw (shameless plug) we've got a great opportunity to get multiple signatures from the masters happening, including Stan Lee, Joe Simon, John Romita, and Gene Colan. Would be a heck of a way to start your collection.

Bill.