• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian Bolland OA ?

27 posts in this topic

Hi,

I stumbled upon this board and I wonder if you could give me som advice.

I am a comic art collector from Germany and I might be interested in purchasing a piece of Mr Bolland's original artwork. Maybe something from Judge Dredd or a commission piece perhaps.

What would be he best way to go ahead with this? And what price point would I be looking at?

Any contact info on Mr. Bolland?

Many thanks.

Hi,

I stumbled upon this board and I wonder if you could give me som advice.

I am a comic art collector from Germany and I might be interested in purchasing a piece of Mr Bolland's original artwork. Maybe something from Judge Dredd or a commission piece perhaps.

What would be he best way to go ahead with this? And what price point would I be looking at?

Many thanks.

Brian's representative for art sales is on this board and on comicartfans.com

His name is Joseph and here is a link to the gallery on comicartfans.

Brian Bolland Art For Sale.

Many thanks.

Typically Brian will only sketch at convention appearances and then it is on a case by case basis.

If you are interested in published artwork the prices for his original run from $3,000 to $5,000 for a more entry level Dredd page and run all the way up to $40,000 or more for the very best of his Dredd or Killing Joke pages.

You may be able to find a nice Wonder Woman or Animal Man cover forthe $4000-6000 range, but like everything else the very best examples are much more expensive.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck,

Chris

Check out the Market Data function on CAF. Yes, Bolland values have taken a quantum leap in the last few years (personally, I trace it back to a KILLING JOKE auction on Heritage in Fall 2007 that cleared $35K). However, you can still find 2000AD pages with Dredd for $1-2K on Ebay. A nice Dredd sketch sold for $140 on ComicLink a little while back. As well, a Dredd cover sold at the last Clink auction for $3K. Good luck!

Check out the Market Data function on CAF. Yes, Bolland values have taken a quantum leap in the last few years (personally, I trace it back to a KILLING JOKE auction on Heritage in Fall 2007 that cleared $35K). However, you can still find 2000AD pages with Dredd for $1-2K on Ebay. A nice Dredd sketch sold for $140 on ComicLink a little while back. As well, a Dredd cover sold at the last Clink auction for $3K. Good luck!

That's true...I forgot about the Clink cover sale.

Prime example of the differences in eras and titles can make a huge difference in price levels. There are good deals to be found, especially if you don't mind Eagle Dredd instead of 2000AD Dredd, or if you can deal with an unpublished piece.

2000AD is certainly earlier (and therefore more historically significant), but art-wise, I much prefer the later Eagle covers. To me, this is when Bolland was really hitting his stride (mid-80's) for cover work. When I look at all his Dredd covers, most of the "very best" examples are from Eagle and therefore, as a whole, the Eagle covers are stronger. They're generally more detailed and better drawn. My guess is this is because he was able to concentrate his time as a cover artist during this period (whereas he worked on both covers and interiors at 2000AD). I'm biased, though, as I discovered Dredd through the Eagle reprints as a US comic reader (and I own an Eagle cover).

I'd like to find out who the art director was for Eagle, as those covers are still some of the sharpest examples, in terms of design/layout, that I've ever seen.

Art prices are all over the place. Some are overpriced and some are reasonable. Keep an eye out for pieces but do not be tempted to buy something until you get a better feel for the market. If you have to have a specific piece or a specific commission then that will end up being overpriced or having to make offers where the seller does not advertise a price. Otherwise, you will sooner or later find a piece that you like for a price you can afford.

Edwin

. Currently there is one on there for $1999 BIN.

I can see why that page has the BIN it does.

Is that incredibly early Bolland or some other artist? It's missing almost all the tell tale signs that allow me to identify Bolland immediately on sight.

I don't think that's Bolland art at all. He's not listed in the credits for that issue, and the 2000AD online database doesn't list prog 94 as one of his issues.

2000AD Database for Bolland

That's aside from the fact that it doesn't really look like Bolland artwork.

Brian's representative for art sales is on this board and on comicartfans.com

His name is Joseph and here is a link to the gallery on comicartfans.

Brian Bolland Art For Sale.

Thanks Chris.

Say my name three times and I appear!

Back from my quest in Asia to acquire mystical new powers.

If anyone has Brian Bolland related art queries please feel free to drop me a line via my CAF.

I can see why that page has the BIN it does.

Is that incredibly early Bolland or some other artist? It's missing almost all the tell tale signs that allow me to identify Bolland immediately on sight.

I had a peek and that page does appear to be very early work by Brian so it does (as you say) lack some of the later tell tale signs of his work. Crucially it's also not inked by Brian (it's Garry Leach of Miracleman fame) so that muddies the waters.

Is the 2000 AD Prog 162 Page 18 sold by Simon Reed on the CAF drawn by Bolland? That is a great looking page and the seller is asking for $2999.

Yes, that a clean, solid, precise Bolland piece. I like that one.

Has anyone seen his Jack of Fables covers come up for sale? I'll probably be able to afford one after like ten years of saving given what you've all said about his Dredd prices but I was just curious. Didn't see anything in Joseph's CAF gallery that was listed earlier. Any insight would be appreciated. :)

Edit: Just read the top of the CAF gallery, all his art is digital now??? That's such a shame.

Has anyone seen his Jack of Fables covers come up for sale? I'll probably be able to afford one after like ten years of saving given what you've all said about his Dredd prices but I was just curious. Didn't see anything in Joseph's CAF gallery that was listed earlier. Any insight would be appreciated. :)

Edit: Just read the top of the CAF gallery, all his art is digital now??? That's such a shame.

His art has been all digital for over 10 years now. All those wonderful Legends of the Dark Knight Cover and dozens more, all digital.

His art has been all digital for over 10 years now. All those wonderful Legends of the Dark Knight Cover and dozens more, all digital.

Don`t these artists supplement their income through sales of their original art? Seems strange that he`s cutting off a very lucrative source of income by going digital.

Don`t these artists supplement their income through sales of their original art? Seems strange that he`s cutting off a very lucrative source of income by going digital.

From talking to him and from reading several interviews he was far more concerned with the level of control he could get on his pieces by completing them digitally. The quality of the piece has always been more important to him than the supplementary income.

At first he was concerned with the coloring process that was being used on his pieces. It was "washing out" the intricate line work. So he wanted to try his hand at completing the coloring process digitally himself. The way he put it was if anyone was going to ruin his pieces it would be himself.

Once he got into the Wacom tablet and working digitally he saw the level of control and precision he achieved by drawing on a tablet. He could expand the size of the image to 400-500% and detail the pupils in the eyes of the characters he drew if he wanted to. For an artist who tries to perfect every piece he works on, it's a dream come true,

If you haven't picked up a copy of the Anniversary Hardcover of The Killing Joke I suggest you give it a shot. In addition to recoloring the story to his satisfaction he has stated that he changed (added, subtracted, altered in some way) something on every page of the book. It's, sort of, the Apocalypse Now Heart of Darkness Cut of Killing Joke. The story is exactly the same with changes by the director subtly included to get it closer to where he wanted it.

He's had several people over the years remind him of how much money he must have cost himself, so he's well aware. I have immense respect for the man for what he has given up to create the pieces he wants the way he wants.