• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The world's top ten comic book collections?

68 posts in this topic

What's the market like these days for vintage Star Wars stuff? I remember in the late 80s and early 90s shops were practically giving SW stuff away -- it was so out of demand.

I reckon the prequels revived interest for a while -- but what it like today?

I started getting back into vintage carded figures in the late 90's. I think, even with ebay providing ample supply of vintage stuff, that the market has been relatively stable. It all depends on what you're after.

If you want a set of original, carded, 12 back figures, you're going to pay good money for them.

If you want to buy up a bunch of figures on pretty nice but not mint Return of the Jedi cards, those can be had on ebay for around $20-$30 depending on the figure.

Anything boxed is hit or miss, depends on how banged up the box is, have you got all the pieces, etc.....

AFA stuff sells with no reserve. AFA stuff priced with a 4 figure start price almost never sells. Opened, AFA graded figures do alright. Mind you I don't know what it costs to "slab" raw figures. People seem to like them. I don't. I'd like raw figures or carded figures only.

Anybody looking to build their vintage star wars collection, if you have the funds, you can pretty much complete a collection of raw figures via ebay in a matter of days, minus rarer figures like a vinyl-caped Jawa or a Blue Snaggletooth.

My goal, one day is to have a complete carded set, every figure on each version of card that was released. That's going to take some time and some coin.

to expand on what Hockey&comicsguy said, the state of SW figure collecting is very strong, and has become very specialized with alot of subgenres to collect, helping to keep collectors interest focused instead of just collecting everything. When it comes to figures in original packaging, these are some of the areas a person can focus...

- 12-back cards (original 12 figs released) on style A B or C cardbacks

- ESB cardbacks and offers (31, 32, 41, 45, and 47 backs. 4-Lom offer, survival gear offer, etc..)

- ROTJ cardbacks (65 and 77 backs, Emperor offer, Anakin offer)

- POTF set

- Foreign carded figures, particularly Palitoy released figures, are becoming very popular, and some unusual figures are extremely rare in these foreign releases. Canadian releases are also neat to collect (20 back Fett, playsets that came with figures unlike in US, etc..)

- Multipack collecting, instead of single cards, a lot (most) figures were released in various multipacks (3 figs, 5 figs, etc..), the 3 figure packs from '78 and '79 are really great, exceptionally hard to find and are usually pricey.

"Now who is willing to raise their hand with me and admit they threw away gobs of cash on Star Wars memorabillia during the years, 1995-2000?"

:gossip::hi:

I am happy to report that we sold millions of dollars of Kenner/hasbro SW during that time frame, so if you raise your hands, I thank you (directly or indirectly!)

John V

and than theres those silver age guys

D.S and T.B

Anybody on the boards seen some of the Church Timelys he has? I would love to see a couple of them just to get an idea of how :cloud9: they are. I'm sure they are ridiculous but I would still love to see some.

I have owned some Timely Mile Highs (still have 1 of them) and have seen others, they are quite nice! The MH Young Allies #11 I owned had dripping wet ink reflectivity & super White pages.

West

Interesting that he hasn't tried to capture the top spot in any one field and is instead content to muddle with multiple collectibles.

Even with all his money, he can't capture the top spot in either GA comic collecting or SA comic collecting unless the top dogs die or suddenly decide to sell for some reason.

What's the market like these days for vintage Star Wars stuff? I remember in the late 80s and early 90s shops were practically giving SW stuff away -- it was so out of demand.

I reckon the prequels revived interest for a while -- but what it like today?

I started getting back into vintage carded figures in the late 90's. I think, even with ebay providing ample supply of vintage stuff, that the market has been relatively stable. It all depends on what you're after.

If you want a set of original, carded, 12 back figures, you're going to pay good money for them.

If you want to buy up a bunch of figures on pretty nice but not mint Return of the Jedi cards, those can be had on ebay for around $20-$30 depending on the figure.

Anything boxed is hit or miss, depends on how banged up the box is, have you got all the pieces, etc.....

AFA stuff sells with no reserve. AFA stuff priced with a 4 figure start price almost never sells. Opened, AFA graded figures do alright. Mind you I don't know what it costs to "slab" raw figures. People seem to like them. I don't. I'd like raw figures or carded figures only.

Anybody looking to build their vintage star wars collection, if you have the funds, you can pretty much complete a collection of raw figures via ebay in a matter of days, minus rarer figures like a vinyl-caped Jawa or a Blue Snaggletooth.

My goal, one day is to have a complete carded set, every figure on each version of card that was released. That's going to take some time and some coin.

Good stuff! I just want to get me a carded Boba Fett, Vader and Yoda...

If you just count regular "newstand" issues with no promos, no variants,

no etc stuff, it is around 40,000 (+ or - 2000). It changes every week.

Promos add about 1000.

Variants add about 1500. This goes up by over 200 per year.

(dratted variants.)

Thats alot :o Even if I started now......it would never happen for me :(