• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best 10-issue comic run in Silver Age history?

35 posts in this topic

Oh, and since you specifically asked about non-super heroes, I'll offer the following...

Though the Kanigher/Kubert Enemy Ace is a fine creation (and highly recommended), it does start to become a bit of a formula after awhile. So I'd give the nod to:

Bat Lash (Showcase 76 + Bat Lash 1-7)

by Sergio Aragones, Denny O'Neil, Nick Cardy, and a touch of Mike Sekowsky.

The Anti-Western of the 60's. Check it out.

Cheers,

Z.

hom #178-188 for the return to true horror comics in the post code age along with adams, wrightson, orlando, williamson, toth, kane, wood, howard, & the introduction of Cain & gregory.

Who's gregory? Should I actually re-read these books again? It's been a few years! sorry.gif

I agree with Chrisco's nomination, but I would include 51-60...

51 has "This Man, This Monster"

54 Great Inhumans story

55 a classic Surfer cover

57-60: the best FF v. Doom showdown... and throw in the Surfer and some of the most dynamic Kirby art seen in the whole run and you've got a winner.

I'd put the Adams GL/GA stuff in the Bronze age, and wouldn't qualify for the best "silver age" story...

The greatest story of the Silver Age is FF#57-60. Doom Returns and Steals the Surfers powers. These issues represent Doom at his most diabolical. Classic Stan! Classic Kirby! Any FF's with the Surfer are the best the S.A. has to offer IMO.

Chris

Bingo! any FF run from this period HAS to include this storyline: its the coda to the Galactus/Surfer introduction. 48 introduces them, and a year later good ol Doc Doom figures out a way to steal Surfers powers. A real "welcome to the Marvel Neighborhood" for innocent Rad Norrin.

So FF 48 thru 60 gets my vote.

then deadman 205 - 216

Adams B&Bs

GL/GA (or is that Bronze, now???)

Classic Spidey, any ten in a row from 1 to 25

the ff run gets my vote although i'd like to end it at #50. i run into a probem there tho because i need to go to 12 books.can't leave out out galactus,can't leave out wally wood in 39 & 40(the 2 most eye catching covers to me due to the amazing inking) fyi,this is the name i use on ebay if anyone sees me there on ocassion.

How about Jim Steranko's run on the later Strange Tales (say 161 through 167) and his work on Nick Fury, Agent of Shield #'s 1, 2, 3 and 5. These were great stories and the artwork (IMO) has never been surpassed!!!

speaking about Wally Wood on FF... I was just looking at all these FFs in this period and noticed I never did before.

You know how Carmine Infantino gets a lot of criticism becase he ordered the re-inking of Superman's face on Kirby's DC work? Well, Stan Lee set a precedent in that FF issue. In #39, Wood inked all of Matt Murdock and DDs faces ... and many of the poses, too. Take a look: its obvious. I dont recall this ever being discussed or explained why it was deemed necessary.