• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JIM 65 w/crease 8.0?

30 posts in this topic

Hello Friends, :hi:

I just purchased a copy of Journey Into Mystery 65 from Metropolis. It is a Big Apple copy that was listed as an 8.0. I received it in the mail today and I have some concerns. I have been collecting for over 20 years and I consider my grading of RAW books to be consistent with 20 years. But as my taste have changed over the past few years (bitten by the pre-hero Atlas/Monster bug) I find that I am encountering more and more of those little defects that throw me off.

Attached to this thread is a photo of the defect that I believe might not mainatin an 8.0 once this book is graded. I have seen this type of defect on other pre-hero books that have been graded, but I do not recall them on any 8.0's I have seen.

It is a small crease that starts at the IND. and ends above R at mid point. At it's end above the R, there is a small tear that moves in a vertical direction. When I open up the interior of the front cover and hold the book up to a lamp I can see light through the crease, from the O to the R.

I love this book and I love the Kirby Art. I am not trying to flip this book I just want to add it to my permanent collection.

Well let me know what you guys think. I am leaning towards sending it back. This crease did not show up in the scan when I solicited it's purchase to Metropols comics. But if you guys think that this is par for the course of pre hero marvel's in 8.0's I would like to know.

Thanks, Ryan

I love this book and I love the Kirby Art. I am not trying to flip this book I just want to add it to my permanent collection.

Well let me know what you guys think. I am leaning towards sending it back. This crease did show up in the scan when I solicited it's purchase to Metropols comics. But if you guys think that this is par for the course of pre hero marvel's in 8.0's I would like to know.

Thanks, Ryan

METROPOLIS overgrading?????

No way!!!

Looks similar to some 7.0 - 7.5 pre-hero Marvels I got back from CGC recently.

Unlikely to get an 8.0, but a nice looking copy.

Send it back only if you are not interested in less than solid 8.0 books, or if Metro charged as if it were a slabbed 8.0

It seems folks will pay a solid premium for 7.0-8.0 pre-hero Marvels if slabbed, but generally not for raw copies unless the seller has an impeccable grading reputation.

I would keep it with the just the crease alone, but the tear and the light seperation of the crease bug me way to much. Looks like it's going back.

Well fella's thanks for your input. I just wanted to make sure that I was not being to hard on the grade. (thumbs u

I'd have to see the BC, but the book looks like close to a VF 8.0 to me, notwithstanding the two defects discussed above. How's the PQ? hm Big Apples are notorious for some tanning and CR-OW . . .

I would keep it with the just the crease alone, but the tear and the light seperation of the crease bug me way to much. Looks like it's going back.

Well fella's thanks for your input. I just wanted to make sure that I was not being to hard on the grade. (thumbs u

Most people here said 7.5, a few even agreed with the 8.0 grade...if you'd return a book advertised as 8.0 that turned out to be 7.5, you absolutely need to stop buying raw books. Contention over a single grading notch is common, even when it's the same book graded by the same three CGC graders on two different days. Returning this book is fairly :screwy:

Well the book has been sent back and I feel very good about that decision. Maybe I forgot to mention that the pages were advertised as Off White, but in fact they are clearly cream/tan colored. In regards to the possablity that it would have came back a 7.5 as opposed to the 8.0 would have been OK. But it's what I want to buy and what my expectations are as a paying customer. This is what makes this hobby a challenge and fun. (thumbs u

Thanks again for everyone's input.

If those are the only 2 serious defect I don't think an 8.0 is out of the question. 2c

Agreed, especially if nice page quallity. (Not something that Big Apple copies are known for, BTW.)

Maybe I forgot to mention that the pages were advertised as Off White, but in fact they are clearly cream/tan colored.

crim (may I call you crim? crims?) :)

OK, seriously, I would have given the PQ issue more importance than the tear/crease issue. Even when I selected lower grade Atom Age books and Marvel pre-heroes, page quality was always a high deciding factor. It was not uncommon for me to go with a g/vg cover with OW or better pages over Fine or Fine+ or even better cover with tan or brown pages.