• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,316 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2022 at 11:34 PM, oakman29 said:
On 3/21/2022 at 10:29 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I've always thought this is the most undervalued Warren Frazetta cover.  Nice copy, OE!  :applause:

Me too. That and Creepy #3 are under appreciated. 

This might very well be my least favorite Frazetta cover. It just doesn't have that Frazetta vibe to it. 

On 3/22/2022 at 2:27 PM, This is Who We Are said:
On 3/22/2022 at 1:45 PM, wombat said:

his might very well be my least favorite Frazetta cover. It just doesn't have that Frazetta vibe to it. 

Boo!! Hiss!!...:baiting:

I can remember the first time I saw that cover and I didn't even know it was Frazetta. Which for me is pretty odd. 

On 3/22/2022 at 1:45 PM, wombat said:

This might very well be my least favorite Frazetta cover. It just doesn't have that Frazetta vibe to it. 

I’ve always though the painting looked unfinished. At least to where Frazetta would feel comfortable with it. The stark white in the doorway seems an odd choice for him, like he wasn’t completely sure what to do there and left it as we see it. Possibly to meet the deadline? I’m most likely wrong…

On 3/22/2022 at 5:18 PM, Jayman said:

I’ve always though the painting looked unfinished. At least to where Frazetta would feel comfortable with it. The stark white in the doorway seems an odd choice for him, like he wasn’t completely sure what to do there and left it as we see it. Possibly to meet the deadline? I’m most likely wrong…

I have the impression you’re talking about #3 and Wombat is talking about #17, but I could be completely wrong.

As to the #3 cover, the white doorway is what sells me on it.  That doorway isn’t going where you think it should, it’s connected to somewhere else.

On 3/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, OtherEric said:

I have the impression you’re talking about #3 and Wombat is talking about #17, but I could be completely wrong.

As to the #3 cover, the white doorway is what sells me on it.  That doorway isn’t going where you think it should, it’s connected to somewhere else.

Oh yes it works well visually. Just seemed an odd choice for Frazetta. Yeah maybe he was talking about the #17, I did say I’m most likely wrong…:nyah:

Edited by Jayman

On 3/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, OtherEric said:
On 3/22/2022 at 8:18 PM, Jayman said:

Yeah, I was talking about 17. And I agree with you on 3. I love the white doorway. 

Technically, I was the proud owner of the Eerie 25 cgc 9.4 on Clink.... for about 3 days.  I noticed my mood was better, I had more self confidence, Even felt stronger physically.  They say material possessions don’t make a man, but IDK, for those three days I felt like I’d reached New heights in my personal development...I guess that’s the power of horror magazines

Edited by This is Who We Are

On 3/22/2022 at 10:43 PM, This is Who We Are said:

Technically, I was the proud owner of the Eerie 25 cgc 9.4 on Clink.... for about 3 days.  I noticed my mood was better, I had more self confidence, Even felt stronger physically.  They say material possessions don’t make a man, but IDK, for those three days I felt like I’d reached New heights in my personal development...I guess that’s the power of horror magazines

On 3/22/2022 at 7:18 PM, Jayman said:

I'm not an art critic or even a particular student of art, but I do know that most paintings are done from the background to the foreground--it's extremely unlikely that the figure in the doorway would be painted before the background that would be seen through the doorway, if he had intended for there to be one, rather than leaving the background "unfinished" to meet a deadline or something.

It's probably more like what @OtherEric said; the stark white background of nothingness suggests that the doorway no longer opens into the bedroom, but into another dimension.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:27 PM, Axe Elf said:

I'm not an art critic or even a particular student of art, but I do know that most paintings are done from the background to the foreground--it's extremely unlikely that the figure in the doorway would be painted before the background that would be seen through the doorway, if he had intended for there to be one, rather than leaving the background "unfinished" to meet a deadline or something.

It's probably more like what @OtherEric said; the stark white background of nothingness suggests that the doorway no longer opens into the bedroom, but into another dimension.

It would be a fun painting to discuss with Frazetta family members at the museum. Get some real insight into the hows and whys…

On 3/23/2022 at 1:27 PM, Axe Elf said:

Actually spoken in quite a good analytical way. I'd venture to guess this was def a finished painting and he was using the absence of color to achieve a better effect than any coloring could.

Precurses all the movie effects like Close Encounters that had the aliens stepping out of blinding white light to conceal what couldn't be described better by having actual detail. 

The original "unfinished" comment was aimed at 17, which is pretty stark and hard for a Frazetta, and I'd agree he may have liked to do more detail but had to get it out the door and no one was complaining on the publisher side. It's still a cool image.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:43 PM, This is Who We Are said:

So what was the final hammer on the #25?

Thanks!