• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,276 posts in this topic

On 3/29/2022 at 11:10 PM, OtherEric said:

this is a good example of what I was saying about my collection being ragtag as well.  It's not an unattractive copy, but it's certainly not high grade:

Oh, I almost forgot to address this...  Yeah, it's not a nosebleed grade, but they still read just fine.  :)

Several of my EERIEs are even more ragtag than that...  I may still do a "Poor Boy's EERIE Gallery" after the CREEPYs, just so y'all can point and laugh at some of them.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:48 PM, oakman29 said:

I am still amazed that you completed Vampirella,  Creepy,  and Eerie runs in just a couple months. I started like 12 years ago, just puzzles me .

Well, I kinda cheated, buying the whole run of Vampi (other than the 1972 Annual) at once, and all but about 15 of the CREEPYs at once.  I got about 100 of the EERIEs in 2 large lots, but then I pieced together the rest one or two issues at a time.

So I may hold the speed record, but I still appreciate the beauty of the collections you guys have put together when you actually care about each piece individually.  There's an awful lot to be said for that, too.  I'm just impatient.  :)

On 3/29/2022 at 9:48 PM, Axe Elf said:

Oh, I almost forgot to address this...  Yeah, it's not a nosebleed grade, but they still read just fine.  :)

Several of my EERIEs are even more ragtag than that...  I may still do a "Poor Boy's EERIE Gallery" after the CREEPYs, just so y'all can point and laugh at some of them.

If I recall you have a creepy 1 9.0. - that nasty thing would stick out like a sore thumb 😂

On 3/29/2022 at 11:55 PM, This is Who We Are said:

If I recall you have a creepy 1 9.0. - that nasty thing would stick out like a sore thumb 😂

Yeah, the CREEPYs overall look an awful lot better than the EERIEs...  You'll see when I do the EERIE gallery.

But then they should, I only paid $8.34 for each EERIE, on average, but I paid $16.58 on average for each CREEPY (not counting the #1).

On 3/29/2022 at 10:02 PM, Axe Elf said:

Yeah, the CREEPYs overall look an awful lot better than the EERIEs...  You'll see when I do the EERIE gallery.

But then they should, I only paid $8.34 for each EERIE, on average, but I paid $16.58 on average for each CREEPY (not counting the #1).

Now That’s impressive!  Can’t wait to see em on display

On 3/30/2022 at 12:11 AM, This is Who We Are said:

Now That’s impressive!  Can’t wait to see em on display

You know I'm currently populating the CREEPY Gallery, right?  ("A CREEPY Collection for the Rest of Us")

On 3/29/2022 at 9:39 PM, Axe Elf said:

I actually thought that at first too; like anyone who collects Warren mags SHOULD get HELP!???

I would say decision pending for lack of information.  Right now it's not really on my radar, but that's largely due to ignorance and could change.  Is it a comic series too?  How many issues are there, and how expensive are they?  That's probly the bottom line, really.  I can still drop a couple hundred on these short runs, but I'd hate to start coveting another major purchase in the $1000s.  So far the wife has been very understanding about the "investment" aspect of my purchases--especially since the previous hobby that ate up $1000s for each of the past few years has been my extravagant fireworks displays, so at least this year I can say we'll have something to show for the expenditure after the fact--but I think we're pretty much at the limit of that excuse's protection at this point.

I need to be winding down this whirlwind of an adventure that has been the last two months, and go into my 59th season a happy camper on Thursday.

I did my best to make it clear with the capitalization and exclamation point, but there's no great way to do it.

I think it's a fun book, but I seem to be in the minority... I think I'm the only one here who regularly brags about having the whole run.  It's fairly of its time... Kurtzman liked topical humor... and overall is closer to MAD than a regular comic, unsurprisingly.  But it does have a lot of comic material, even if you don't count the fumetti stories as comics.  I think part of the problem was they tried to include too much in the early issues; 64 pages a month was more than Kurtzman could sustain.  By the end, when it was 40 pages every other month, there was a lot more good stuff and less filler.

Let me check my boxes in the next couple days, I think I've got a couple low grade dupes.  If I can find them and you want them, I'll send them to you so you can see what they look like and make a more informed decision.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:02 AM, OtherEric said:

You've seen my admission ticket to the Eerie #23 club, right?  But it reads fine, and even in the low grade the beauty of the image shines through... just a little less clearly.

Eerie_023.jpg

Yep, saw that one in the Club thread; din't remember the owner though.  Congrats on the "obstructed view" seating.  :)

On 3/30/2022 at 1:38 AM, OtherEric said:

I think it's a fun book, but I seem to be in the minority... I think I'm the only one here who regularly brags about having the whole run.  It's fairly of its time... Kurtzman liked topical humor... and overall is closer to MAD than a regular comic, unsurprisingly.  But it does have a lot of comic material, even if you don't count the fumetti stories as comics.

I meant "comic" in the sense of the CREEPY and EERIE type of illustrated fantasy/horror kind of thing--as opposed to a more photo or text based format, like Famous Monsters of the Movies--not necessarily "funny pages."

On 3/30/2022 at 1:38 AM, OtherEric said:

Let me check my boxes in the next couple days, I think I've got a couple low grade dupes.  If I can find them and you want them, I'll send them to you so you can see what they look like and make a more informed decision.

I certainly appreciate the gesture, but I just did a search and I see that I can look at some issues online, so maybe I'll do that and save on shipping and packing time.  :)

(A few minutes later...)

I see what you mean about it looking like a MAD magazine--but the first one I opened also had a Wonder Warthog story, and the first collection I completed was my Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers/Fat Freddy's Cat, so that's a plus.  It doesn't feel like the typical Warren mag though (at least not the kind that attracted me in the first place), so it's not making me feel like I need it.

Just out of curiosity, how many issues are in a full run and what would I expect to pay per issue, were I to get HELP!?

On 3/30/2022 at 2:02 AM, OtherEric said:

You've seen my admission ticket to the Eerie #23 club, right?  But it reads fine, and even in the low grade the beauty of the image shines through... just a little less clearly.

Eerie_023.jpg

Like it ‼️‼️👍👍

On 3/29/2022 at 11:53 PM, Axe Elf said:

I meant "comic" in the sense of the CREEPY and EERIE type of illustrated fantasy/horror kind of thing--as opposed to a more photo or text based format, like Famous Monsters of the Movies--not necessarily "funny pages."

I certainly appreciate the gesture, but I just did a search and I see that I can look at some issues online, so maybe I'll do that and save on shipping and packing time.  :)

(A few minutes later...)

I see what you mean about it looking like a MAD magazine--but the first one I opened also had a Wonder Warthog story, and the first collection I completed was my Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers/Fat Freddy's Cat, so that's a plus.  It doesn't feel like the typical Warren mag though (at least not the kind that attracted me in the first place), so it's not making me feel like I need it.

Just out of curiosity, how many issues are in a full run and what would I expect to pay per issue, were I to get HELP!?

HELP! had about 8 or so Wonder Warthog stories, the first place they got national exposure.  If you like other underground artists it also features some early cartoons by Jay Lynch and Skip Williamson, among others, and most importantly it has a few early Robert Crumb pieces, including the first Fritz the Cat.  But you're right, it's not a typical Warren mag... although it's a lot closer to the comics than Famous Monsters of Filmland.

The book ran 26 issues, I think I paid somewhere around $10-20 an issue with a couple exceptions, such as the first issue.  The real trick was finding them... HELP! is such a generic name that searching online took a lot of trying various things and seeing what worked.

On 3/30/2022 at 11:46 AM, OtherEric said:

HELP! had about 8 or so Wonder Warthog stories, the first place they got national exposure.  If you like other underground artists it also features some early cartoons by Jay Lynch and Skip Williamson, among others, and most importantly it has a few early Robert Crumb pieces, including the first Fritz the Cat.  But you're right, it's not a typical Warren mag... although it's a lot closer to the comics than Famous Monsters of Filmland.

The book ran 26 issues, I think I paid somewhere around $10-20 an issue with a couple exceptions, such as the first issue.  The real trick was finding them... HELP! is such a generic name that searching online took a lot of trying various things and seeing what worked.

Ooo, Fritz the Cat would be another draw (no pun intended).

Yeah, for another $400, I can probably shoehorn them into the collection at some point...  It probly just won't be soon.

Thanks for all the info, though!

On 4/1/2022 at 2:53 PM, Artifiction said:

Love those covers, chevalmeow. (thumbsu

I got a new batch of horror goodness, too! 

img20220401_17414439.jpg

img20220401_15170754.jpg

img20220401_15323177.jpg

img20220401_15450807.jpg

img20220401_15555330.jpg

img20220401_16365172.jpg

img20220401_16423972.jpg

img20220401_17025248.jpg

img20220401_17080741.jpg

Don't all throw stones at me at once, but I tend to prefer the vibe of Creepy 131 to Creepy 4....Now, if asked whether to get one or the other, the answer is obvious...both of course :headbang:

Edited by This is Who We Are