• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a new low for this issue? MM CGC 9.8 #23

18 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/Miracleman-23-CGC-9-8-NM-MT-Gaiman-mint-Top-Grade_W0QQitemZ220570145257QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335b0151e9 Before, this was a $500.00 book (did it ever sell at that price?) now one has sold for under $230.00!!! :o (not including S&H) Will the price continue to drop for this book? :wishluck:

I should probably give up trying to sell my $23 for $495 then, huh...?

;)

If the next #23 that pops up in 9.8 sells for less then $250.00 than yes. :devil: Unless you can get BWS to SS it.

Here is the formula again for the cheap seats. (Must resist urge to use caps lock) The Copper Age has some of the best written, best drawn and most entertaining stories in comics history. It did not however, have any paper drives, war rationing, or mass burnings that would lead to scarcity. Independent Coppers had very small print runs for the times, making them seem scarce, especially when compared to the big two. But they are not really scarce. In fact, many of them were hoarded.

At the same time the market for Indy Coppers, while often rabid (see e.g. a lot of us crazies in here) is much smaller than the market for the big two. For each rabid fan that gets his or her hands upon that coveted Copper Indy 9.8, one more person that is pushing the price up on auctions or popping BINs is out of the running on the next one. This leads to a sort of price equilibrium which is what you are starting to see with MM 23. Still great, yes. Still desirable, yes. But once the folks who have to have the UHG copies all start to get theirs, the price will settle out at a lower level.

Here is the formula again for the cheap seats. (Must resist urge to use caps lock) The Copper Age has some of the best written, best drawn and most entertaining stories in comics history. It did not however, have any paper drives, war rationing, or mass burnings that would lead to scarcity. Independent Coppers had very small print runs for the times, making them seem scarce, especially when compared to the big two. But they are not really scarce. In fact, many of them were hoarded.

At the same time the market for Indy Coppers, while often rabid (see e.g. a lot of us crazies in here) is much smaller than the market for the big two. For each rabid fan that gets his or her hands upon that coveted Copper Indy 9.8, one more person that is pushing the price up on auctions or popping BINs is out of the running on the next one. This leads to a sort of price equilibrium which is what you are starting to see with MM 23. Still great, yes. Still desirable, yes. But once the folks who have to have the UHG copies all start to get theirs, the price will settle out at a lower level.

First off the first paragraph of your post is almost completely meaningless. Except for Gold, and older, every other age did not suffer from war drives or book burnings. Silver Age still goes for a ton of money. Now the second paragraph is more closer to the true reason, but not quite. Hoarding became a huge thing in the 80's, but it was not the only thing that became huge. Also, bagging in boarding for most hot comics became the thing to do as well. And even non hoarders were now keeping there comics, and not throwing them out. Why would they when they thought that these would become big money?

The fact that you neither understand nor appreciate this analysis cements my opinion that it is dead on.

That is a fantastic example of converse correlation! "The less you understand it, the more correct it is" with the ultimation being "if you do not understand it at all, this is confirmation of its absolute correctness."

Nice!

Dead on imho. See economics 101, supply and demand in the free market.

The fact that you neither understand nor appreciate this analysis cements my opinion that it is dead on.

That is a fantastic example of converse correlation! "The less you understand it, the more correct it is" with the ultimation being "if you do not understand it at all, this is confirmation of its absolute correctness."

Nice!

First off his statement is against the person. Second, his statement is not valid. A person with an I.Q. of 50 has a lack of understanding of many things that are not correct. Secondly I was attacking his statement of War Drives, Book Burnings, and the like. His statement only applies to the Golden Age. The Silver Age, had no book burnings, war drives, and the like. The rest of his statement was accurate, but did not paint a complete picture.

It is apparent the poster did get offended by my statement that his first paragraph was meaningless. Perhaps I should of left it at. "Book burnings really only apply to the Golden era." And left it at that. I am sure the response would of been worded differently. And for that my bad.

But when it comes down to brass taxes, ironically we are both in agreement with this issue. There is simply too much supply for copper, and simply not enough demand. Which is the crux of what he was trying to present. And since I do actually understand the too much supply, and not enough demand principal does that now make his statement totally wrong?

Nice!

First off his statement is against the person. Second, his statement is not valid. A person with an I.Q. of 50 has a lack of understanding of many things that are not correct. Secondly I was attacking his statement of War Drives, Book Burnings, and the like. His statement only applies to the Golden Age. The Silver Age, had no book burnings, war drives, and the like. The rest of his statement was accurate, but did not paint a complete picture.

It is apparent the poster did get offended by my statement that his first paragraph was meaningless. Perhaps I should of left it at. "Book burnings really only apply to the Golden era." And left it at that. I am sure the response would of been worded differently. And for that my bad.

I'm fairly certain that sean was exaggerating to make his point, and that he's fully aware of the fact that "paper drives, war rationing, or mass burnings" aren't really associated with the silver nor the bronze age :tonofbricks:

Nice!

But when it comes down to brass taxes, ironically we are both in agreement with this issue. There is simply too much supply for copper, and simply not enough demand. Which is the crux of what he was trying to present. And since I do actually understand the too much supply, and not enough demand principal does that now make his statement totally wrong?

No, Homie.

Try again.

Nice!

I was merely, in a tongue in cheek fashion, trying to illustrate the difference between actual scarcity and perceived scarcity. Silver is completely inapposite to the discussion because Silver is not, nor has it ever been presented, by even the most persistent dullard, as scarce.

You may want to read up your comics history as to when the mass burnings took place. The mid 50's is not the Golden Age. I'd suggest starting with The 10 Cent Plague by David Hajdu. Great read.

And finally, I have to thank you, because I was certain that the idiom was "getting down to brass tacks," which is a correct idiom. But there is a line of thought that the idiom traces back to an old Brass Tax in the mid 1850's. So I learned something new today.

(thumbs u

Nice!

I was merely, in a tongue in cheek fashion, trying to illustrate the difference between actual scarcity and perceived scarcity. Silver is completely inapposite to the discussion because Silver is not, nor has it ever been presented, by even the most persistent dullard, as scarce.

You may want to read up your comics history as to when the mass burnings took place. The mid 50's is not the Golden Age. I'd suggest starting with The 10 Cent Plague by David Hajdu. Great read.

And finally, I have to thank you, because I was certain that the idiom was "getting down to brass tacks," which is a correct idiom. But there is a line of thought that the idiom traces back to an old Brass Tax in the mid 1850's. So I learned something new today.

(thumbs u

People who actually research before posting a reply = :cloud9: