• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about PLODs...

5 posts in this topic

How does cgc take into affect restored grades? do they kinda ballpark what it used to be? do they evaluate it at how it appears now? (this one seems unlikely as i've seen a lot of restored books that looked very high grade in mid/low grade labels.)

Just wondering if anyone knows this, always helps to tighten my grading and further my knowledge.

I am not an expert on this. But I think the grade is given in reflection to the amount of resto, done to the book. For instance a book may be a 7.5 but after the resto. it may grade as an apparent 8.5 Others may have a lot more knowledge on this subject. I too would like to know what exactly The CGC does in this regard.

I'm not sure if anyone but CGC knows the answer to this question. Even for CGC there may not be an absolute answer.

Having said this, in every case I know where a restored book was unrestored, the grade has gone down. My gut feeling is CGC gives you a mercy bump, maybe one tick upward on a restored book that's a tweener. If all you have is a tear seal and you get an 8.5 Apparent, remove the tear seal and you will get a Blue 8.0 .

Again, nobody really knows the answer, but can only give an opinion from experience. This is my opinion.