• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #6 Timely Jack Kirby art

78 posts in this topic

I also believe that the vast majority of comic book OA is overvalued also, so I'm not much of an ally for you ;)

uh.. yes you are.. because I so totally agree with you

Vast majority = 99.9% ;)

So what constitutes the .1% (or .5%) of comic art that's not overvalued?

IMO the stuff no one cares about right now. No reason to detail it here though, I'm not done buying it all yet!

Heh, no worries. Wasn't asking any active collector to reveal their secrets.

But neither Richard nor Paull actively collect comic art. And yet they're both very vocal about values, right down to declaring that 99.5-99.9% of all comic art to be "overvalued". To be fair, .5% (or even .1%) still leaves a lot, when taking the whole of the hobby into consideration. So, in their opinions, what isn't overvalued? Shouldn't be hard for them to name or at least, share their opinions. They aren't shy about it any other time! lol

Are these overvalued?:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3909614#Post3909614

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3908004#Post3908004

(shrug)

lol>. Felix.. those are indeed 2 of the 3 items worth every penny

lol

but to follow up my humor with other answers.. 99.5% of everything post 1985 is junk.. garbage.. trash.. defocated

oh darn.. I just did a bigger survey.. it seem my 99.5% was overstating the situation

it's 99.49678%

sorry.. my bad

:roflmao:

lol

That's what I figured! lol

but to follow up my humor with other answers.. 99.5% of everything post 1985 is junk.. garbage.. trash.. defocated

Ah...so now it's amended to "post 1985". meh It's all debatable. I don't get spending five figures for new art (and I mean NEW art) and it could all be junk/garbage/trash...but people are buying it. Time will tell if it's overvalued. Most likely it is. But you thought you were getting out at the top of the market 10 years ago (and Paull has been sitting on the sidelines for just as long). So your read on the market is a guess just like it is for the rest of us.

oh darn.. I just did a bigger survey.. it seem my 99.5% was overstating the situation

it's 99.49678%

sorry.. my bad

Be careful...you're moving further and further away from your ally, Paull (99.9%)! lol

lol

it's 99.49678%

sorry.. my bad

Post 1985 Contains a ton of Brian Bolland, Charles Vess, Dave McKean, Alan Davis, Sergio Aragones, John Bolton, Kevin Nowlan, Mark Schultz, Dave Stevens, Walt Simonson, Paul Smith, Arthur Adams, Simon Bisley, George Perez, Los Bros Hernandez, Dan Clowes, Chris Ware, and Tim Sale.

That's just off the top of my head, there are probably a couple dozen more that created gorgeous pieces of artwork in the "post - 85 wasteland".

As long as you include all of them in your .5% then I won't have a problem with your generalization. Although, with so much quality work being done in that time period, you might not be able to support that figure.

But neither Richard nor Paull actively collect comic art. And yet they're both very vocal about values, right down to declaring that 99.5-99.9% of all comic art to be "overvalued".

Funny, I'll have to look and see what that stuff is in those archival boxes in my closet. I don't know where you get the idea that I've been on the sidelines for 10 years.

To be fair, .5% (or even .1%) still leaves a lot, when taking the whole of the hobby into consideration. So, in their opinions, what isn't overvalued? Shouldn't be hard for them to name or at least, share their opinions. They aren't shy about it any other time! lol

Let's put it this way, all the work that Frazetta, Raboy, Williamson, Krigstein, Eisner, Fine, Ditko, Romita, Kirby, Steranko, etc. combined wouldn't come close to .1% of the entire output of comic book art, but even some of those pieces have gone for wildly inflated prices.. Think about how much has been produced in 80 years.

Post 1985 Contains a ton of Brian Bolland, Charles Vess, Dave McKean, Alan Davis, Sergio Aragones, John Bolton, Kevin Nowlan, Mark Schultz, Dave Stevens, Walt Simonson, Paul Smith, Arthur Adams, Simon Bisley, George Perez, Los Bros Hernandez, Dan Clowes, Chris Ware, and Tim Sale.

That's just off the top of my head, there are probably a couple dozen more that created gorgeous pieces of artwork in the "post - 85 wasteland".

you just identified 99.5% of the .5%

you just identified 99.5% of the .5%

lol

But neither Richard nor Paull actively collect comic art. And yet they're both very vocal about values, right down to declaring that 99.5-99.9% of all comic art to be "overvalued".

Funny, I'll have to look and see what that stuff is in those archival boxes in my closet.

Let me guess...none of THAT stuff is overvalued, right? :baiting:

In the future, you (like Richard) may decide to sell off some of that art. It will be interesting to see what values you place on the art then...and how in line they are with the (overvalued) market.

A lot of this just strikes me as "what I own has value, everything else is overpriced junk". I have a limited idea of your collection, based on our PMs, but you'd have more credibility (to me) if you shared your art and were willing to include at least part of your collection in your broad "99.9%" category.

To be fair, .5% (or even .1%) still leaves a lot, when taking the whole of the hobby into consideration. So, in their opinions, what isn't overvalued? Shouldn't be hard for them to name or at least, share their opinions. They aren't shy about it any other time! lol

Let's put it this way, all the work that Frazetta, Raboy, Williamson, Krigstein, Eisner, Ditko, Kirby, Steranko, etc. combined wouldn't come close to .1% of the entire output of comic book art. Think about how much has been produced in 80 years.

Right. That's what I said. .1% represents a LOT of art. Your list is impressive, all legends. The point (at least initially) wasn't about artistic merit; it was about market values. You said 99.9% of comic art is overvalued. Yet, there are works from your .1% that have sold for what even I think are high prices. I would have agreed with you more if you said ALL comic art is overvalued! But that would have included what you collect, and not what (I think) you meant.

Everyone collects at their own comfort level. As I recall, you are a fan/collector of color guides. I actually think those have value (and may even be undervalued relative to OA), but I imagine you'd be insulted if I called 99.9% of them overpriced junk/trash/garbage.

Let me guess...none of THAT stuff is overvalued, right? :baiting:

Actually, I'll admit to overpaying for things that I wanted pretty much every time. Some of the market values may have caught up on some, but definitely not for others. I buy what I like.

I have a limited idea of your collection, based on our PMs,

Let's say that you have zero idea of my collection because I've never told you about any pieces or artists.

I would have agreed with you more if you said ALL comic art is overvalued! But that would have included what you collect, and not what (I think) you meant.

I was going to say that all comic art was overvalued (including mine), but I had to leave some room... there is stuff out that I think is undervalued and underappreciated, but in time that will change.

Everyone collects at their own comfort level. As I recall, you are a fan/collector of color guides. I actually think those have value (and may even be undervalued relative to OA), but I imagine you'd be insulted if I called 99.9% of them overpriced junk/trash/garbage.

Not insulted at all. I agree that 99.9% of them have little value and/or overpriced. However, there are a number of them that I've seen over the past few years that were greatly undervalued as compared to pencil/ink OA of the same pages.

I decided to ask some world leaders at a recent U.N. summit what they all thought of comic art values.

I was going to suggest you poll them about movie poster values, but I already know what their answers are going to be:P

As I recall, you mentioned that you have collected in a very limited fashion throughout the years. Mostly owing to always believing that the market was overpriced. If that was the case, then you would have been wrong. Not criticizing you for being conservative. But your view of the current market does seem like sour grapes in that context. And sorry to say, so does Richard's (for an entirely different reason).

Mostly, though, my annoyance had more to do with strongly opinionated (yet otherwise secretive) anonymous posters than anything else. That's just my knee-jerk reaction to KK-type posts and I admit that's my problem, not yours. I'll take Richard's advice and get a sense of humor:P