• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #6 Timely Jack Kirby art

78 posts in this topic

Yes,

Published Timely Hero art is especially rare to still be around.

There was a Kirby Captain America Splash that came out earlier with these

two interior Cap pages.

And on top of the Marvel Comics #1 page, there is one Human Torch

cover by Alex Schomburg and the Submariner story artwork from

All Select #2

Is that it?

There are also some unpublished examples like the Everett proto-type

Marvel Comics cover.

To clarify, it was not an Everett prototype cover to Marvel Comics #1 but (Marvel Mystery) #2 that was originally auctioned on the front cover of the 1st Sotheby's comic auction hardcover catalog. Specifically, the front cover is a blow up of an interior duo-tone (worship) Sub-mariner panel by Everett.

I didn't specify a Marvel Comics issue number, but I looked up the art to confirm my memory... and the Everett art was a "Marvel Comics" titled cover design with a Dec. cover date.

Since Marvel Comics #1 had both an Oct./Nov. cover date, I would think this

was an unused design for a Marvel Comics #2. Of course, the title was changed

to Marvel Mystery in the final product.

catsothebys91.gif

Back in 1976 at the Marvel Con in NYC, I held a page from Captain America #1 in my hands.

Where, oh where is that now?

Mitch I.

Could be in a collection, but could also be a victim of a flood, fire, being lost, tossed out, owner passed away, etc.

A few posts were deleted from this thread as well. The guy questioning the attribution may no longer be here either.

Really?

You mean posts were deleted because they threatened the value of something being offered for sale?

In the past, it was said to me that the mods of this site did would not delete posts solely because the poster was seeking to diminish a sale.

Really?

You mean posts were deleted because they threatened the value of something being offered for sale?

In the past, it was said to me that the mods of this site did would not delete posts solely because the poster was seeking to diminish a sale.

Wow, if that's the case it's especially egregious here because Greg is a valuable resource of comics history. Seems insane to censor his opinions as to who might have worked on a piece of art.

I know I've had several of my own posts deleted, I could never figure out why. Some cast CGC in a negative light, some had information about the hobby in general and some reprinted articles. It would be nice if they would at least notify you when your posts are deleted so you know what you did and how to avoid it in the future. Seems a waste to write anything here if it can be deleted on a whim.

The posts that were deleted in this thread were from "Funnies", the most recent KK shill. KK referenced Greg's stated opinion about the Timely Cap page from the L, but the posts were not deleted for content, but because they were from a shill.

KK is also the reason Ruben's posts were deleted in the past. I remember that thread; all posts that contained quotes from the then-KK shill ("OA Gentleman", iirc), were zapped.

From my observation, posts are usually left alone if they're not direct replies to the shill. Yet another reason to follow Nelson's rule: "Don't feed the troll!"

I asked Mark Evanier about this page and here was his reply:

ME: I usually don't like to give this kind of art evaluation without

seeing the original...but it sure looks to me like Jack's participation

in this page was minimal if he even touched it at all.

$30,000 (reserve met)

Wow - with 3+ days to go...

well it is a rare item.. There just aren't that many Timely pages around and from Cap #6 gives this page a certain patina that most Joe Simon pages wouldn't otherwise have

also note.. while this page has minimul if any input from Kirby, the other non-Cap-appearing page certainly does have Kirby

On the Cap page, the reality is whoever buys it wouldn't notice the 50k or 100k or whatever they'll spend is missing from their bank account, and that definitely affects any bid the person(s) bidding makes.