• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

distributor ink on a diamond book?

46 posts in this topic

Ok, I have some confusion here, and I am going to try to get cosmic-spider-man to chime in, but he was doing a bunch of research that seemed to me, gave him information that helped him establish distribution areas based on the color of the distributor ink...

Meaning, the same issue of Spider-man had different markings, so he could tell you what test market it came from. (yes, he was looking at variants)

76 and 77 were prior to the pre-printed distributor marks.

If he can tell which areas the books came from by the distributor ink, its because the ink was used to mark the distributors territotry, not when it was to be returneded, no?

Sure, but he's not referring to pre-printed distribution marks, because they didn't exist until 1979.

Exactly, if he can tell which books came from where based on the color of the distributor ink, I read that as saying distributor ink was used for marking where the books came from, not when they were to be pulled.

I was checking a few books with date stamps and came across some interesting dating.

One book had a store stamp of Oct 30 for a book dated December, yet a few months later, the same stamp is March 16 for a book dated in May.

I don't have too many runs that feature consecutive issues with store stamps as my books are a mishmash of purchases.I do have one small run of Green Lanterns and Justice Leagues in the 12/15 cent range. i'm going to check the dates on them.

Interstingly, and I noted this in a thread a few years ago, I had two copies of Fantastic Four Annual #5 that featured store date stamps more than six weeks apart, so distribution dates evidently varied greatly.

I was checking a few books with date stamps and came across some interesting dating.

One book had a store stamp of Oct 30 for a book dated December, yet a few months later, the same stamp is March 16 for a book dated in May.

I don't have too many runs that feature consecutive issues with store stamps as my books are a mishmash of purchases.I do have one small run of Green Lanterns and Justice Leagues in the 12/15 cent range. i'm going to check the dates on them.

Interstingly, and I noted this in a thread a few years ago, I had two copies of Fantastic Four Annual #5 that featured store date stamps more than six weeks apart, so distribution dates evidently varied greatly.

Great project. I'll pull out my date stampes when I run across them, and see what sort of ranges I have.

When all else fails...RESEARCH! (thumbs u

Ok, I have some confusion here, and I am going to try to get cosmic-spider-man to chime in, but he was doing a bunch of research that seemed to me, gave him information that helped him establish distribution areas based on the color of the distributor ink...

Meaning, the same issue of Spider-man had different markings, so he could tell you what test market it came from. (yes, he was looking at variants)

76 and 77 were prior to the pre-printed distributor marks.

If he can tell which areas the books came from by the distributor ink, its because the ink was used to mark the distributors territotry, not when it was to be returneded, no?

:) I think that the 76 and 77 Distributor Ink was used for both, to mark territotry and to know when pull returns. The reason I believe this is that on the Marvel 35 Cent Variants each Distributor that sold these had a different way to add his marks to the edge of these comics for example they had a Sprayed edge in one area, a 1" band of color near the middle from another Distributors territotry, and one or two thin Marker Marker marks near the Left edge from another Distributor area, but all of these books also had different color marks from month to month so I think the fact that they did not use the same color all the time means the marks probably served both purposes for these Distributors. I also discovered that the books from another area in the Test Market of the time used No marks at all so this practice was not used by all Distributors. hm

(shrug) The Later Printed on Marks I have no clue, but the used to pull old stock seems very likely to me.

I would guess that in a lot of areas there was no competition. In metro NYC/Long Island there were several distributors and they sometimes overlapped in territory.

Many books came out in Nassau a week before they hit in Queens, but the Queens distributor serviced the 7-11s in Western Nassau.

Once you got away from the major population centers, I won't be surprised if there was little competition in most areas, so the need to mark a territory might be less severe.