• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are good and honest selling techniques?

48 posts in this topic

I read a lot about what people hate sellers do in their auctions to sell their books. What are good and honest selling techniques? Obviously, when we sell something we want the best price and try to hype our product. What happens is like on the info commerical, the product (eg. Mint condition = does not meet our expectations). Things like a nice large scan, payment options, good seller history, and detailed descriptions all help make a good sale. People make fun of the words rare and hot but these key words sell a product.

I am not sure if those words really sell items. To me they are repelling. If somebody gives me the words "HOT HOT HOT" instead of some more obejctive descriptions I will probably not bid on his items...I mean...if I really want the item I will bid nonetheless of course..

I think a return policy is almost required (even on CGC books). I think sellers should treat their buyers like they want to be treated. I don't have a big problem with words like 'hot' or 'rare' though I tend not to use them.

I think Joanna is an excellent example of a good ebay selling page. Granted she doesn't use a lot of html (which is fine) I use none, wink.gif but she is clear, and very objective. Oh, and she doesn't accept personal checks. wink.gifgrin.gif

Big scans, detailed descriptions of defects, return policy, and multiple payment options. Feedback is great, but hey, everybody was zero at one time!

I have to admit that I'm a little wary of low feedback buyers OR sellers. I agree everyone has to start somewhere so I don't arbitrarily discount them, but I do get a little nervous.

I also agree with the multiple payment options.

when selling on ebay I use all capitol letters in the heading, they do not charge for this. Also if I have alot of sells,say 50 or more I might

use the highlight option on one auction directing people to my other sells.

It increases your hits and is well worth the $5 price tag. Keep the opening bid

as low as possible, this incourges more bids and sometimes creates a

"left out feeling". I'll finish with learn the html codes ,they really help

organizes and clean up your auctions. That should get you started the rest will come over time.

Charge reasonable postage rates for int'l collectors. Don't overcharge a Canadian top bidder the European int'l hi-postage rate. Note if there is a visible date/store/name stamp/blue ink/pencil on front or BACK cvr of slabbed bk.

I pay Cgc $25 plus wait 3.5 months to get my bks back, so I will NOT take returns on cgc bks. Bidders must TRUST in cgc's 3rd party impartial grading else why are we continuously shipping them more & more bks for slabbing?

Lots of good suggesting here! Some I even missed! I would recommend HTLM as well if you plan on selling a lot or every month. I just don't have the patience (lazy more like it). I know there are programs out there that will 'create' an ebay page for you with all the bells and whistles included. Here is the one I know of, there may be others.

http://www.auctionrow.com/auction.html

Charge reasonable postage rates for int'l collectors. Don't overcharge a Canadian top bidder the European int'l hi-postage rate.

Good point. Though from what I've seen it's almost as expensive to ship to Belgium as it is to ship to Alberta. wink.gif Though the CA package had insurance and the Belgian one did not.

Note if there is a visible date/store/name stamp/blue ink/pencil on front or BACK cvr of slabbed bk.

I agree here (forgot to do this on my Hulk 181 book), but I'm forgiving if you can easily see the stamp or defect.

I pay Cgc $25 plus wait 3.5 months to get my bks back, so I will NOT take returns on cgc bks. Bidders must TRUST in cgc's 3rd party impartial grading else why are we continuously shipping them more & more bks for slabbing?

I shouldn't have said required. I trust CGC and don't usually have a problem if a seller won't accept returns on CGC books, but I always look at it from a buyers stand point...if I don't like something then I'd like the chance to return it. It also gives a good impression from the start. I have yet to have a seller ask for a return (on anything) so it's peace of mind for them and looks good for me. Just an opinion.

when selling on ebay I use all capitol letters in the heading,

I would recommend NOT doing this - it's annoying. It makes visually searching listing pages much harder, and anything that gives a potential bidder bad vibes (like "If your feedback is less than 10, get lost!"). On the other hand, you have a good point about highlighting/bolding/featuring at least one of your auctions with the specific intent of using it to advertise the rest of your auctions. I do this all the time...

People like to be reassured that they are going to get thier comics

FAST & SAFE . I use new boxes bought from ULINE.COM @ about .40 per box.

Also make it clear on the shipping price and keep it low.

Well actually, the oldtimers like me had no number to start off with! Looked better that way! tongue.gif

Also, don't get tape caught on an Aritstocats #1! wink.gif

Split the loss on an uninsured package! shocked.gif

Good point. Though from what I've seen it's almost as expensive to ship to Belgium as it is to ship to Alberta. Though the CA package had insurance and the Belgian one did not.

Oh sure...go ahead and freak me out even more...

I'm expecting the package tomorrow, if it isn't here by Thursday then I'll be sweating bullets...*

crazy.gif

* If the package goes missing, Scottish is not to blame

One thing that bothers me is marketplace spamming.

One thing I hate is when someone posts multiple posts for each individual book when they can put a listing of them in one post.

For example there are ten books for sale. Instead of maiking one post with all of the books listed, some peole make a post of each and every freakin book.

14 days ago I almost cancelled 2 top bids fr nil feedback buyers for cgc FF. Was glad I did not b/c they both PAID within 10 days. Prices realized were as high or HIGHER for same/similiar cgc FFs I had sold in April/02 b4 the crazy prices after the May/02 release of ASM movie. Did notice ASM 28 cgc price realized was about 15% lower than the heady days of April or May/02.

I hear you. I think that since I do accept returns on CGC books it sets me apart a little. Doesn't make me a better person or seller just different.

I look at it this way: If I'm buying a CGC book and everything goes well - except when I receive the book there is a date stamp on the front or back cover that the seller did NOT describe in their auction (it's included in the grade after all wink.gif ) and I'm very anal about date stamps or cover markings - if he accepts CGC returns we're good to go and that is how I want my buyers to feel when they purchase from me. If the hypothetical seller above did not accept CGC returns then while I would still leave positive feedback I probably wouldn't by from him (or her) in the future.

I'm not saying there is a right or wrong answer here. I fully respect everyone's selling practices and would by from anyone on this forum. Just don't want to open a big can a worms and get into a shouting match. wink.gif

Yes there is! A date stamp or whatever is as hideous should be noted by the seller. CGC or not. mad.gif I'm like you, I hate date stamps.

My policy is: I accept returns on anything if the item description did not note something of that nature. Shipping included not just that measly bid price refund !