• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I find it funny...

11 posts in this topic

Funny ha-ha or funny strange?

Funny strange. I've heard that CGC doesn't grade them because they are to big a format to slab, but aren't Playboy's the same size? (forgive my ignorance, but I've never held a Playboy)

It could depend on the size or number of pages, generally they don't grade magazines with over 100 pages. I think it has something to do with being able to support the 100+ pages in an upright type case.

They tend to sag, you know like your grandma's boobies...

lol

I'm 99.95% sure that 2000 AD progs are too big for the standard CGC magazine case.

Just guessing now, but there could also be overhang issues. Not all copies of 2000 A.D. come out perfectly square. Many times there is some kind of overhang.

The concern then is that when the inner well of the slab is sealed it will pinch/bend/rip the overhanging paper and damage the book. This is one of the reasons CGC says it won't slab pulps.

There could also be concern about the newsprint paper still browning inside the slab. Maybe the micro-chamber paper would delay that, I don't know. Charltons were printed on really bad paper, but I haven't heard any reports of those continuing to tan inside a slab.

Sadly, there's probably not enough demand for CGC to implement another size slab to fit 2000 A.D.

(In case you are wondering why I can't just pull out an issue of 2000 A.D. and compare it to a CGC magazine slab, my BA/CA prog collection died in the summer of 1989.

When I was away at college, my mom moved to South Carolina and for some unexplained reason stored all my stuff in her garage. Did I mention it was the summer? In the south?

She told me my "comics" were in a closet in my younger brother's room. Yeah, only the ones he was interested in reading. The progs stayed out in the garage for years.

Eventually l discovered the progs had turned a deep, sinister shade of brown, and the poor progs on the bottom had mice chew damage. And half my LP collection got warped. I'll never forgive her...)

(In case you are wondering why I can't just pull out an issue of 2000 A.D. and compare it to a CGC magazine slab, my BA/CA prog collection died in the summer of 1989.

When I was away at college, my mom moved to South Carolina and for some unexplained reason stored all my stuff in her garage. Did I mention it was the summer? In the south?

She told me my "comics" were in a closet in my younger brother's room. Yeah, only the ones he was interested in reading. The progs stayed out in the garage for years.

Eventually l discovered the progs had turned a deep, sinister shade of brown, and the poor progs on the bottom had mice chew damage. And half my LP collection got warped. I'll never forgive her...)

Mother's...the real threat to comic collections everywhere! :fear:

Funny ha-ha or funny strange?

Funny strange. I've heard that CGC doesn't grade them because they are to big a format to slab, but aren't Playboy's the same size? (forgive my ignorance, but I've never held a Playboy)

Europeans use different paper sizes than Americans :gossip: