• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slobodian Collection

10 posts in this topic

Saw this auction which appears to be trimmed. It's a in really old CGC holder too. Anyways, were a lot of the Slobodian books restored? Based on the description sounds like Calvin did some home restoration on some otherwise nice books?

Brian

Saw this auction which appears to be trimmed. It's a in really old CGC holder too. Anyways, were a lot of the Slobodian books restored? Based on the description sounds like Calvin did some home restoration on some otherwise nice books?

Brian

He said that he personally only did restoration on 2 of his books! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He said that he personally only did restoration on 2 of his books!

He says two, but unfortunately I know of a third book.

I do not know about his Silver age books, but he did a lot of minor repairs on his Timely collection that he sold to Verzyl in the 80's. About 1/4 of them had little tear seals, glue and color touches that he'd done in the 70's.

Timely

do not know about his Silver age books, but he did a lot of minor repairs on his Timely collection that he sold to Verzyl in the 80's. About 1/4 of them had little tear seals, glue and color touches that he'd done in the 70's.

Now I'm really mad.

I bought one of his original owner books from him around 8 years ago (a fairly major Marvel Key) that was suppose to be NM. Got the book and called him up that day and asked if there was a very tiny color touch where there was tear. He said he NEVER restored any of his books, so I took his word.

Jump forward 8 years later, I get the book CGC'd (VF+) and of course it's got a very small color touch.

I find his email address, tell him and he of course says even if it is his book, that he never did any other restoration than on two books.

What a jerk.

What is it with Canadian dealers and color touch and other forms of restoration? Between Gerry Ross, Roger Crestohl and now Slobodian, it seems like these guys just couldn't resist touching their books up. And of course they never disclose that there has been restoration. For a country with a reputation for being polite and law abiding, they sure seem to produce a lot of crooked dealers.