• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Mazzucchelli wants me to destroy my SS Books & thinks i'm greedy collector

302 posts in this topic

He sounds like an A*Hole, if a fan can't get a signature in person (which most can't off course), then CGC is the only 100% true sense of security with it being legit there is. I have signatures, and they could be fake, but I know my CGC are 100% real, and that's why I love them. Doesn't he understand that? Not everybody is a con man.

Well considering the man hasn't really done anything...he's probably bitter at the fact that people are making money off his signature...

But wait..... Stan Lee doesn't mind.. neither does John Romita, Romita JR, George Perez, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Mike Zeck, Frank Miller,

Do I need to keep going here?

Sean's right, this is old news.

All the books were signed at one single convention - a New York Comic Con - a few years ago. I don't think many were done, but everyone who did, and then tried to list a book at auction received an email like the one Sam did.

CGC was also contacted and the arrangements made were (a) the dealers who did the books took the auctions down as per David's wishes and (b) CGC would no longer accept subs for SS any books signed by David as per his request without his express consent.

Of course, (b) hasn't really been an issue because he hasn't made any signing appearances since that NYCC. But under the new SS system, if he was, the CAWs and employees would be informed up front that he was off limits.

Nevertheless, Sam has a legitimately obtained SS book as per the rules in place at the time, no doubt that the signature is authentic.

Well considering the man hasn't really done anything...he's probably bitter at the fact that people are making money off his signature...

But wait..... Stan Lee doesn't mind.. neither does John Romita, Romita JR, George Perez, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Mike Zeck, Frank Miller,

i think stan lee, JR, and mike zeck gets a cut of the $$$, hence the high signing fees.

I'm going to have to disagree with the majority of people here, with all due respect, its things like this that the signature series program was changed to these new rules in the first place, when artists complain to CGC about people getting sigs without explicitly saying it is for SS especially if its a witness then it is completely in their right and has happened and is why we're all in this mess where things are so hard. these books are one of a kind because under the new rules they would NEVER happen again.

and he was being rather polite in his message so i wouldnt give spencer the third degree, he pretty much represents every major artist out there

i think stan lee, JR, and mike zeck gets a cut of the $$$, hence the high signing fees.

Really? okay so if I pay $5 a book for a Zeck Signature..and get it slabbed...then I sell it on e-bay for, let's say, $200.. what cut does he get then?

There's really no need to attack the man personally because he doesn't agree with his signature being turned into some licensed collectible. That's his choice.

He doesn't have a ton of control over the item once it's created but that doesn't mean he has to sit idly by and say nothing. He feels that he was not informed that his signature was being sought as part of a licensed authentication program.

As for not doing anything, when he was working in comics he was responsible for one of the greatest Daredevil story arcs in the character's history and one of the top 5 Batman story arcs in that character's history.

After that he became an art professor in NY and recently created one of the finest graphic novels of the last decade.

Just because we might not agree with his stance is no reason to attack the guy's resume. It's beyond attack.

It's been a recurring theme around here lately. Any artist that doesn't sketch or sign on command like an organ grinder's monkey is either an a-hole, out of touch, or greedy himself. I would suggest that folks be a little more circumspect. The internet is pretty much an open book.

when artists complain to CGC about people getting sigs without explicitly saying it is for SS

I guess I don't get why that matters...

I mean if I am going to get some books signed by Artist X, and then sell them with "Mushie's Iron Clad COA" do I have to let them know up front I am going to do that? (shrug)

When I get my books sign and graded,its usually for my personal collection and I would never dare sale it unless I need the money REAL bad.

So not all people get their books sign and sell it.

Some people want their books sign b/c their a fan of a writer or an artist.

Really? okay so if I pay $5 a book for a Zeck Signature..and get it slabbed...then I sell it on e-bay for, let's say, $200.. what cut does he get then?

frank frazetta gets paid too to sign books for CGC SS.

There's really no need to attack the man personally because he doesn't agree with his signature being turned into some licensed collectible. That's his choice.

He doesn't have a ton of control over the item once it's created but that doesn't mean he has to sit idly by and say nothing. He feels that he was not informed that his signature was being sought as part of a licensed authentication program.

As for not doing anything, when he was working in comics he was responsible for one of the greatest Daredevil story arcs in the character's history and one of the top 5 Batman story arcs in that character's history.

After that he became an art professor in NY and recently created one of the finest graphic novels of the last decade.

Just because we might not agree with his stance is no reason to attack the guy's resume. It's beyond attack.

You need to understand something, I get over protective when people decide or feel that they can go ahead and threatened every issue with a lawsuit.

I concur with the fact that if it was a private signing, and he wasn't formadibly told it was for CGC, then yes you can argue the fact that he was lied to. However, if he was a convention in a public venue where anyone with a book is free to get it signed, his basis for the lawsuit does not have a single leg to stand on.

Let's fight Sean! lol

But maybe you're right, but I just can't understand how he thinks it's a bad thing. I disliked the e-mail more than the fact he dislikes Signature Series... It seemed like a threat, and I didn't like that, at all. "if this continues he may stop signing comics altogether. ALL fans will suffer due to a few greedy individuals." I don't think there was any need for that part in his e-mail (I know it's not him, but he represents him, so he speaks for him, so it's as good as his words).

It's been a recurring theme around here lately. Any artist that doesn't sketch or sign on command like an organ grinder's monkey is either an a-hole, out of touch, or greedy himself. I would suggest that folks be a little more circumspect. The internet is pretty much an open book.

I had a nice chat with Joe about this very topic on Friday night when we went out for dinner. My recommendation to him was to make things easier for obtaining autographs from creators at cons that they get information to the creators out at the start of every event and use that to build relationships and establish signing times.