• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Mazzucchelli wants me to destroy my SS Books & thinks i'm greedy collector

302 posts in this topic

Well considering the man hasn't really done anything...he's probably bitter at the fact that people are making money off his signature...

But wait..... Stan Lee doesn't mind.. neither does John Romita, Romita JR, George Perez, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Mike Zeck, Frank Miller,

Do I need to keep going here?

There's really no need to attack the man personally because he doesn't agree with his signature being turned into some licensed collectible. That's his choice.

He doesn't have a ton of control over the item once it's created but that doesn't mean he has to sit idly by and say nothing. He feels that he was not informed that his signature was being sought as part of a licensed authentication program.

As for not doing anything, when he was working in comics he was responsible for one of the greatest Daredevil story arcs in the character's history and one of the top 5 Batman story arcs in that character's history.

After that he became an art professor in NY and recently created one of the finest graphic novels of the last decade.

Just because we might not agree with his stance is no reason to attack the guy's resume. It's beyond attack.

You need to understand something, I get over protective when people decide or feel that they can go ahead and threatened every issue with a lawsuit.

I concur with the fact that if it was a private signing, and he wasn't formadibly told it was for CGC, then yes you can argue the fact that he was lied to. However, if he was a convention in a public venue where anyone with a book is free to get it signed, his basis for the lawsuit does not have a single leg to stand on.

None of which equates to him having "not really done anything" in his career.

If you disagree with his stance, or his legal standing that's entirely different than ripping on a guy's talent in a personal way because you disagree.

When I get my books sign and graded,its usually for my personal collection and I would never dare sale it unless I need the money REAL bad.

So not all people get their books sign and sell it.

Some people want their books sign b/c their a fan of a writer or an artist.

That's why most of my recent sales have been here in the Forums. It's not an open bid site to the public. :thumbsup:

isn't CGC SS, the samething as a COA......i personaly don't see the difference between the 2 in the end, and any differences are simantics at that

Well that's easy.

Post your Frank Miller signed Dark Knight #1 that you got from the CBDLF booth on Ebay and post the CGC SS 9.8 Dark Knight #1 signed by Miller on ebay and you will see the difference in dollars and cents.

That's a material difference, not a semantic one.

Can't believe they didn't get offered up here first, or did I miss them? hm

I did offer them here first..

I hand an Ares CGC SS firesale and not one single Offer even when I threw in a few free books as well.

Well considering the man hasn't really done anything...he's probably bitter at the fact that people are making money off his signature...

But wait..... Stan Lee doesn't mind.. neither does John Romita, Romita JR, George Perez, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Mike Zeck, Frank Miller,

Do I need to keep going here?

There's really no need to attack the man personally because he doesn't agree with his signature being turned into some licensed collectible. That's his choice.

He doesn't have a ton of control over the item once it's created but that doesn't mean he has to sit idly by and say nothing. He feels that he was not informed that his signature was being sought as part of a licensed authentication program.

As for not doing anything, when he was working in comics he was responsible for one of the greatest Daredevil story arcs in the character's history and one of the top 5 Batman story arcs in that character's history.

After that he became an art professor in NY and recently created one of the finest graphic novels of the last decade.

Just because we might not agree with his stance is no reason to attack the guy's resume. It's beyond attack.

You need to understand something, I get over protective when people decide or feel that they can go ahead and threatened every issue with a lawsuit.

I concur with the fact that if it was a private signing, and he wasn't formadibly told it was for CGC, then yes you can argue the fact that he was lied to. However, if he was a convention in a public venue where anyone with a book is free to get it signed, his basis for the lawsuit does not have a single leg to stand on.

None of which equates to him having "not really done anything" in his career.

If you disagree with his stance, or his legal standing that's entirely different than ripping on a guy's talent in a personal way because you disagree.

Well, the only logical explanation to his "feelings" would lead one to believe that he doesn't like people making money of his signature, maybe because he isn't getting a cut.

There's a huge difference between SS and a regular COA. It's called encapsulation.

That being said, I kind of doubt David would sign for Dynamic Forces either. "Joe Blow's COA" is an irrelevant factor. It carries no weight on a sale in the secondary market.

yea its simantic unless you want to actually sell it, then SS is god compared to a standard COA

i'm not talking about sell/keep, i'm talking about the idea of a CGC SS vs COA, they are the samething.....both wittnessed by a person/persons as being the auto is real and not a forgery

I would love to get a Daredevil. Both my Mazz books are Batman.

These wouldn't happen to on his Year One works, would it ? hm

Don't you dare Bill!!! Any one that has Batman Year One Mazz SS is hereby ordered not to sell them to Bill. He has too many books I want already and it's just not fair dammit!

Don't you dare Bill!!! Any one that has Batman Year One Mazz SS is hereby ordered not to sell them to Bill. He has too many books I want already and it's just not fair dammit!

lol Who said this hobby was fair? :roflmao:

Let's fight Sean! lol

But maybe you're right, but I just can't understand how he thinks it's a bad thing. I disliked the e-mail more than the fact he dislikes Signature Series... It seemed like a threat, and I didn't like that, at all. "if this continues he may stop signing comics altogether. ALL fans will suffer due to a few greedy individuals." I don't think there was any need for that part in his e-mail (I know it's not him, but he represents him, so he speaks for him, so it's as good as his words).

It's been a recurring theme around here lately. Any artist that doesn't sketch or sign on command like an organ grinder's monkey is either an a-hole, out of touch, or greedy himself. I would suggest that folks be a little more circumspect. The internet is pretty much an open book.

If you'll notice, I'm not supporting the art rep's position. I think it is a very tenuous and mostly unsupportable premise. It is also antithetical to my personal beliefs to try and abridge someone's property rights as he attempts to do.

What I do not enjoy, however, is this swelling undertide of sentiment that artists should be so thankful to the public that they should be beholden to do whatever someone at a convention demands of them. The artists have the right to do what they want to do, or not do what they want to do. They are not a-holes for doing that. They are exercising their rights in a free society. If you don't like it you can stop buying their product, or you can decry their outrageous behavior on a messageboard. But, I, for one, wish folks would think it through a little.

:devil:

lol Who said this hobby was fair? :roflmao:

:applause:

:devil:

lol

yea its simantic unless you want to actually sell it, then SS is god compared to a standard COA

i'm not talking about sell/keep, i'm talking about the idea of a CGC SS vs COA, they are the samething.....both wittnessed by a person/persons as being the auto is real and not a forgery

Not true. Anyone can forge a signature on a book and make up a generic COA for their comic book shop.

The Signature Series program is the only authentification system that validates an artist's signature or sketch.

Yeah, they are. used to have three, but someone begged for one after I posted them in my SS thread. I think it was Doug. It would take something very special to get one of those from me, and dead presidents are not persuasive at all.