• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Barks Duck Reprints

10 posts in this topic

I have always heard good things about the Barks run of Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge books and would like to read them. Is there something available similar to a Marvel Masterworks or DC Archives format? If not, I can try the soft covers. Since there are so many options to choose from, could someone recommend the reprint series I should get? Also any "shouldn't miss" story recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

I like the treasury size gladstone softcovers from the 80s and 90s. they put out a masterworks type set long ago but it was in black and white and really expensive. The softcovers are cheap and have coloring that looks "right" unlike some of those masterworks. They cover both the barks one shots and all the WDCS stories. I don't know if there is a similar set for the scrooge run.

As for can't miss stories.... there are so many. Just start reading there is no shortage of classics.

Pick up a bunch of don rosa's when you are done. They are excellent as well.

They cover both the barks one shots and all the WDCS stories. I don't know if there is a similar set for the scrooge run.

There is a similar Scrooge run in 56 volumes.

The WDCS ran 51 volumes and the Donald Duck Adventures (DDA) a shorter 25 volumes. ft88 had full sets for sale on the board recently. He might still have some left even though he sold some complete runs. PM him if he hasn't PMed you yet.

Currently, these series are still the best way to get hold of a complete set.

Considering how expensive the WDCS and some of the DDA originals are, they are the best way. As for the Uncle Scrooge, I'd say buying the originals is also a good alternative: they are readily available and cheap enough in lower grade.

Funny thing is that I was inventorying my runs of both DDA and WDCS tonight. My sets are not complete but I am close to having all the stories as they've been reprinted elsewhere in other books in my collection. It is however a pain since I need to keep a spreadsheet to be able to locate anyone particular story when I look for it :P

Have fun.

Thanks for the replies Bronty and Scrooge. I am going to try to get what I can of WDC & S #1-51, DDA #1-25 and Scrooge #1-56 for now. Doesn't look like it will be easy or cheap but I will enjoy reading and collecting them. Thanks again.

you'd be surprised. I bought a set of wdcs 1-20 for like 40 bucks shipped or something. They can be had cheap if you look in the right spots and aren't picky about them being mint (for me a VF reprint is as good as a NM because it will be VF by the time I'm done).

Pick up a bunch of don rosa's when you are done. They are excellent as well.

I'll back up that sentiment....I grabbed a few Disney reprints in B'more this past year from Dave Kapelka (sp?) for my daughter. I looked for books with Barks reprints. As luck would have it, the books I picked up had Rosa stories as well. They were just as good as the Barks stuff, IMO. (thumbs u