• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone have a quantity of ACTION COMICS 812 1st printing??

36 posts in this topic

Hi there, I need as many as you can sell me, can anyone help, pleaaaase!!!!

PM me how much you want including p+p to the UK, I can pay you paypal, or any other payments can be arraged, thx for your help

whats so special?

PM me how much you want including p+p to the UK, I can pay you paypal, or any other payments can be arraged, thx for your help

These things are all over eBay in lots of 5 and 10. Don't seem to be going for much. Can't you find a deal there?

oNly the 2nd print sketch is up in lots of 5 and 10 and are still available to retailers for advance order- you only see the 1st print in auctions of 1 each and charging about $5 start plus another $3-5 shipping so it'll cost you an average of $8 a piece if you want to go thru eBay and let's bet it's someones cast off copy...

In all honesty... good luck...

This looks like a $10-15 book by a month from now.

And I am not saying that because I am sitting on a bunch of them. Four different forum members have already tried to order extras from me, but I missed the boat on this one and sold out the same day it came out, just like everyone else...

If you really want the book, I would not balk at paying $5-6 a copy. Especially since Greg Buls is not allowed to sell these, so retailers all over the country don't have their "normal" access to copies at $1 over wholesale...

" Especially since Greg Buls is not allowed to sell these,"

shocked.gif so the retailer mafia is enforcing this?

It's part of the terms of DC's smackdown... He's not permitted to sell DC's to anyone with a Diamond account.

Which means that instead of ordering 5,000 extra copies because he thought it was a good book to speculate on, he only orders what he thinks he can sell to his customers that don't have Diamond accounts.

If there's a potentially hot Marvel book, he may wind up ordering 10,000 copies. A potentially hot DC book, I doubt he orders 500... confused-smiley-013.gif

A lot of retailers are chapped about it. Because they relied on the safety net he provided. If a book got popular they knew they could get more. At a slight premium to be sure, but at least they knew they could get more. Now they are stuck with what they order, and when Diamond sells out (which they did on Action 812 within the first 48 hours of release) that's it...

I'm in luck.

My LCS owner pointed it out to me as a PU on Wed.

There were about 20 left. I'll go get'm

> Just called, 20+ left, but he will only sell me (2) so the rest of his customers have a shot... gotta respect that. Although I've lost out before on hot books that were snatched up if I was tardy getting to the shop.

He'll LMK have whatever's left on Wed though... we'll see

thanks for the tip.

Do people actually realize that Turner isn't doing the interiors? Is the demand fueled by the covers, or is this a significant event?(Or both?)

And can someone explain to me this whole Greg Buls thing?

sign-offtopic.gif

I'm a Turner fanatic, but does anyone else think his art has been slipping? I don't know if it's because he's rushing, or he's getting too "comfortable", but the art he's been doing the last couple of years dosen't measure up to his early work at Top Cow, particularly Witchblade. I know he was sick for some time(cancer?), so that could be one of the reasons....

Do people actually realize that Turner isn't doing the interiors? Is the demand fueled by the covers, or is this a significant event?(Or both?)

Yes. Regardless, the first Michael Turner Superman is pretty significant to the Turner fans out there and maybe the Supes fans too confused-smiley-013.gif I'm definitely waiting for an Aspen-esque Lois Lane cloud9.gif Demand is fueled by the covers alone for sure, but I know I'll be checking out the story too

Lighthouse explained it in a thread in the past but basically he is a retailer who specializes in speculating by buying huge amounts of issues he "feels" are going to be hot. when the retailers who underordered sell out and are turned down by Marvel and DC for re-orders, they go to Buls for the re-order at $1 o$2 over cover markup. I have a feeling that DC put the squeeze on him because they saw success in their reprints with different covers selling well. If they allow Buls to do what he's doing, he cuts into their profits on the reprints in a big way because he is there to provide the 1st print, and he's bought enough to sate the initial demand of the understocked retailers. He also gets to determine the resale value of his "winning picks" without any of it going to the publisher's coffers. I may be a bit off but that was the gist I got from Lighthouse's posts

I'm a Turner fanatic, but does anyone else think his art has been slipping? I don't know if it's because he's rushing, or he's getting too "comfortable", but the art he's been doing the last couple of years dosen't measure up to his early work at Top Cow, particularly Witchblade. I know he was sick for some time(cancer?), so that could be one of the reasons....

The man has been through hell a few years back and recovered slowly - even by taking a protege and trying to mold him into his own image - but Talent Calswell fell far short of the mark in his initial outing in Fathom:Killian's tide series - Caldwell has gotten better on the latest ASpen books under Turner's own (oops it part of DC now foreheadslap.gif ) imprint.

As for Turner - it seems he has evolved his art where Turner was the protege under Silvestri on the early Witchblades and shifted into the watery imagery in Fathom and Aspen - it makes sense as Fathom/Aspen is his baby alone....just my .02 smile.gif

Lighthouse explained it in a thread in the past but basically he ...

You're probably better off doing a forum search for "Greg Buls"...

He's been discussed an awful lot. From his initial speculation with Valiants, eventually cornering that market while simultaneously writing articles in Wizard pimping them, to the "buy shares in comics you never see" scheme he had, to his current status as a wholesaler (not a retailer as Darth described).

My buddy who is a member of one of the Chicago families told me "Greg Buls is the only person I have ever been afraid to do business with, because there was no way I could ever figure out what he was trying to do until it was done." 893whatthe.gif

Probably 40% of all the shops in the US supplement their Diamond orders by ordering from him. He provided a buffer for them, offering additional stability in exchange for reduced profits. He still does for Marvel, SLG, Bongo, Image, Crossgen, and others. Just not for DC anymore. And the repercussions of DC's smackdown are still rippling through the industry.

If DC is onto something with their smackdown, how long before the other companies follow suit and "ban the Buls"?

Well SLG, Bongo, and Crossgen there's no violation... those guys all sell to Cold Cut and FM as well...

But Marvel, Dark Horse and Image are all "exclusive". So it's just a matter of what they feel is the impact to their bottom line. Bulldog is one of the top 5 Marvel accounts, you can't order 11,000 copies of a book without someone noticing. So at this point they have made the decision that it's better for them to not pursue action.

Personally I prefer a marketplace where someone is doing what Greg does, whether it's Greg or someone else. I think the marketplace is better off.

And the exclusivity isn't as exclusive as it appears at first glance. Any retailer that wants to can set up an account to also receive newsstand copies from the newsstand distributor. It used to be that that was a terrible idea because the copies showed up weeks later. But now, they frequently arrive the same week as Diamond's books. There are a growing number of retailers padding their Diamond orders with returnable newsstand copies. The extra copies are at a weaker discount, and you don't have item-specific order flexibility. But having 10 extra copies available in case a book gets hot (that you can send back if it doesn't) is not such a bad deal.

Plus you get automatic access to any of the "newsstand variants" when Marvel decides to sell their books for 25c...

Just wanted to follow up. I got my 812 today and read it:

Turner cover and co-writer with Kelly; interio pencils by Turner's protege, Talent Caldwell.

I'm lost in the DC Universe and did not pick up the prior issue. Looks like a good start but many questions. Who's Lyla (her first app panel is pretty good, even for Talent Caldwell) and how is SHE an alien? Is she from earth? How does KAl not know that he shoots eyebeams hen his powers are "turned on" by the presence of yellow sun? why would Krypton have random "yello sunbeams" peeking through the atmospheric mantle at "opportune times" What is this gift that Jor-El gave to Krypton before his death? Why is Krypton even around?

Also what is Chuck Austen trying to stir up in that 2nd story "My Heart" reintroducing Lana Lang and her pining for Clark/Supes (when did she find out he was Superman?) and now armed with cute kid "Clarkie" and fresh from divorcing Pete, some man who couldn't measure up to Supes confused-smiley-013.gif, we find Lana bemoaning her situation with the Kents? WTF?

Darth reading DC's! 893whatthe.giftongue.gif

Superman got lost in the time stream at the end of Superman 200 while battling the Futuresmiths. The subsequent story arc through Supes 201, Action 811 and Advs of Superman 624 deal with how the citizens and heroes of Metropolis deal with "A World Without Superman." It was an entertaining read but I could not shake the feeling it was filler until Turner's stint started. The whole "Godfall" story arc deals with Supes fate in what is apparently an alternate timeline he landed in after the events of issue 200.

As far as Lana goes, she made an appearance in issue 200 with the baby. If I had to guess, they are setting up some sort of future conflict story for Supes personal life to be handled by Lee and company when he takes over. Just a guess though. I just started reading Superman with issue 200 so I am no expert. I just knew from the previews of Turner's arc that Supes would be outside of his traditional world so I started reading the series a few issues early to see the setup.

Probably clear as mud now! Hope this helps though. Just got my Action 812 yesterday.

Russ

I am not a Turner fanatic but I find myself looking more and more for his work. Any recommendations as to what would be an example of him at his best? A particular Fathom issue? Something else?

Also, has anyone else noticed the cover of Action 812 seems to be slightly off? The Superman logo at the top of my copies is a bit chopped at the top. Just curious to see if I was unlucky in my pull or if maybe this happened to other issues in the print run.