• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Bad Sketch Thread.

98 posts in this topic

Yes it was free. But still, take some pride in your work for Christs sake.

And THAT's why most artists won't do freebee sketches anymore.

When I am not paying for it I feel anything at all beyond a signature is a bonus. If I want something special or nice or finished I pay for it, or offer to pay for it. I know that I get what I pay for and there's a reason a free sketch is free.

I, personally, would feel it's unfair to take something from an artist, for free, and then lambaste him for it not being great.

When I am not paying for it I feel anything at all beyond a signature is a bonus. If I want something special or nice or finished I pay for it, or offer to pay for it. I know that I get what I pay for and there's a reason a free sketch is free.

I, personally, would feel it's unfair to take something from an artist, for free, and then lambaste him for it not being great.

Im just saying, Take some pride in your work. Free or not.

You are right though I shouldve lambasted him right there not here

Im just saying, Take some pride in your work. Free or not.

You are right though I shouldve lambasted him right there not here

You would have really ripped on an artist, to his face, because the freebee sketch he gave you wasn't good? Really?

I can see that with a paid sketch, and a lot of artists appreciate honesty when it comes to feedback on a job where value is given in exchange for the artwork.

A free sketch is just that, a free sketch. I have received free sketches that looked like paid commissions and I have received free sketches that I put in the I will never look at this again box. Never talk down to an artist for doing a free sketch. Do you talk down to your grandma when she gives you a Christmas gift that you don't like? If the answer is no then why would you talk down to an artist. It is just unbecoming.

You should have seen Jim Valentino this weekend. He can knock out a really nice $40 con sketch in about 7-8 minutes. He is the fastest I've ever seen.

Faster than Simonson?

You should have seen Jim Valentino this weekend. He can knock out a really nice $40 con sketch in about 7-8 minutes. He is the fastest I've ever seen.

Faster than Simonson?

From the Simonson stuff I have seen (please don't take this as insult, Walt) it is apples and oranges. Simonson does very basic, non-detailed, free form sketches. Very nice but rough. This is a blue pencilled sketch, then fully inked in 8 minutes. They are small, but very detailed and very nice.

Jim Starlin, Thanos.......

53230085a977a7c21f12f9826642d7c5e17ce9f.jpg

It's either a Starlin hangman stick figure with a Charles Schulz Snoopy-themed airplane over the stick figure or it's a really cool minimalist Thanos profile. Either way I like it.

Who the hell is that supposed to be? :ohnoez:

Thanos

:o:ohnoez:

To me it is always interesting to talk to creators about what they want to draw. Some of them love to draw characters that they have never done before, and some don't want to do characters except those that they are familiar with or connected to.

But then again, as pirate jr. pointed out yesterday, I am the numpty that gets DC characters done on marvel blanks. lol

who is pirate Jr? lol

Anthony's son, Nick. He is about 10 and he was quick as hell with it. He saw my GA Sandman on a Secret Avengers and was like "Why in the world did you get a DC character on a Marvel book?" I had to go all Mr. T on him and say, "Shut up, fool. I get whoever I want!"

A reference for your sketch is an invaluable tool. Of course this requires some pre-planning, but it curtails many a disappointment.

I have thought about that a lot. It curtails disappointment, but it also insures that you are not going to get something inspired, either.

A reference for your sketch is an invaluable tool. Of course this requires some pre-planning, but it curtails many a disappointment.

I have thought about that a lot. It curtails disappointment, but it also insures that you are not going to get something inspired, either.

I disagree. Sayger used a reference. Furthermore, I have never gotten an exact replica of the reference, probably due to copyright, but I have never gotten three to five squiggle lines either... even on a free sketch that I paid $20 for anyway.