• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC MIlestone comics: Harsware, Static etc

16 posts in this topic

those were cool books. A real nice attempt to launch a universe of new characters. Doomed to faileur from the start I guess, but a honest try.

are the characters still around?

anybody else remember them fondly?

any collector interest these days?

I loved these books. My favorite would probably have to be Hardware. I loved Static as well. Icon was ok. His relationship and rapport with his sidekick, Rocket, is what made Icon's character, and even the book, interesting.

Static and Hardware are easily the two most interesting characters to stem from Milestone. If any characters from the Milestone universe could ever latch on and even have a chance of making it in the DC Universe it would be them.

As for the merger, I believe DC was supposed to reintroduce several Milestone characters and treat them as brand new to the universe. Totally wiping out the previous crossover between DC and Milestone in the 90s.

Isn't Shadow Cabinet supposed to make an appearance in JLA's book? And Static supposed to be a Teen Titan?

Maybe someone can confirm this because I really don't read DC.

Doomed to faileur from the start I guess, but a honest try.

Honest try is right, but doomed nonetheless. The industry was changing rapidly with mega production of books, pinup/splash page comics, new universes popping up (Image, Valiant) and impending "Depression Era" of comics. Niche books like Milestone were doomed despite the effort.

Also, I believe they didn't garnered much interest because they were seen as "African-American" comics.

They also used this new style of coloring which actually added to the cost of making the book. While innovative, it didn't help the bottom line.

If maybe they came out 10 years later and under the DC Brand, and had a more diverse supporting cast... they would have a better shot at making it.

any collector interest these days?

Nope. Only crazy guys like me are looking for ultra high grade #1s of these titles. :insane:

I was looking at the later issues and admiring the covers. Especially those very late GA recreation looking ones, Static and Blood Syndicate had one each. I agree the coloring was weird, very dull. I thought it was the paper. These books feel very thin too. hard to believe they were the full 32 pages fom holding them (I didnt count tho)

If maybe they came out 10 years later and under the DC Brand, and had a more diverse supporting cast... they would have a better shot at making it.

doh!

Correction. I fell under the same trap as the masses. After thinking about it, I believe they did have a very diverse cast of characters. But this mindset is one of the contributing factors to Milestone Comic's downfall...as ignorant as it is.

well, dont feel bad. the impetus behind Milestone and the publicity push was all about its black centric creators and storylines etc.

but, their intention was to write realistic stories, and that includes multi-ethnicity. In other words, this wasnt meant to be a "back to Africa" rejection of (white) America. That would have been a hypocritical response to the lack of ethnicity in mainstream comics. To substitute a 99% white comics with a 99% black comics would be pointless --- and not a great business decision given comics reading population.

So writing stories about all cultures would certainly have been (and was) the game plan.

I loved these books. My favorite would probably have to be Hardware. I loved Static as well. Icon was ok. His relationship and rapport with his sidekick, Rocket, is what made Icon's character, and even the book, interesting.

Static and Hardware are easily the two most interesting characters to stem from Milestone. If any characters from the Milestone universe could ever latch on and even have a chance of making it in the DC Universe it would be them.

As for the merger, I believe DC was supposed to reintroduce several Milestone characters and treat them as brand new to the universe. Totally wiping out the previous crossover between DC and Milestone in the 90s.

Isn't Shadow Cabinet supposed to make an appearance in JLA's book? And Static supposed to be a Teen Titan?

Maybe someone can confirm this because I really don't read DC.

Shadow Cabinet came back in JLA and Superman knew all about them and even talked like old friends

Static is in Teen Titans and they talk like old friends

well, dont feel bad. the impetus behind Milestone and the publicity push was all about its black centric creators and storylines etc.

but, their intention was to write realistic stories, and that includes multi-ethnicity. In other words, this wasnt meant to be a "back to Africa" rejection of (white) America. That would have been a hypocritical response to the lack of ethnicity in mainstream comics. To substitute a 99% white comics with a 99% black comics would be pointless --- and not a great business decision given comics reading population.

So writing stories about all cultures would certainly have been (and was) the game plan.

Its a shame that despite this, they were still perceived otherwise. Are there HC/TPB collections these titles?

I wouldn`t call Static a failure, my son watches his animated series every nite on Disney xD channel. The character has more exposure then any image/valiant character that was created back in the same time period.Before people say Spawn, You really can`t argue Spawn because the movie came out over 10 years ago while Static is constanly getting mainstream exposure on a Disney channel every nite. A whole new generation has grown up with Static.

;)

I wouldn`t call Static a failure, my son watches his animated series every nite on Disney xD channel. The character has more exposure then any image/valiant character that was created back in the same time period.Before people say Spawn, You really can`t argue Spawn because the movie came out over 10 years ago while Static is constanly getting mainstream exposure on a Disney channel every nite. A whole new generation has grown up with Static.

;)

You're absolutely right. Those are the same episodes that originally aired 7-10 years ago and has been circulated through the whole decade. Along with his recent affiliation with the Teen Titans, this character definitely has the most upside.

Good call on that!

It seems to me like Spawn has fizzled quite a bit from the 90s. Does anyone really care about the character besides the fact that he was created by McFarlene in his heyday?

It seems to me like Spawn has fizzled quite a bit from the 90s. Does anyone really care about the character besides the fact that he was created by McFarlene in his heyday?

Who's Spawn? (shrug) Is the question I get a lot of from these new kids getting in to comics.