• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 Overstreet Price Guide

63 posts in this topic

I just started getting into Golden Age books the last 6 months and I would be totally lost without the Overstreet guide. It seems like every time I check GPA for a Golden Age issue, the last sale is 2 years or older. The Golden Age guide prices seem to be a good starting point, just price the comic higher or lower based on the current demand/market conditions for a particular issue.

^^

I am slowly compiling a list of hundreds of GA slab sales from the past 2 years that should be included in GPA soon :wishluck:

...and for that you are to be greatly commended!

(worship)

I agree.

it is completely relevant on 95% of the rest of the books listed in the guide that don't get slabbed, etc (thumbs u

But what about the vast majority of mid grade non keys that, at least compared to some on here, don't realize anywhere near those prices? Also, stated by advisors over the years in their market reports.

I also see comics being sold here at significant guide discounts that still don't move but that could be just because we are a bunch of cheapskates ;)

I guess it is relative... folks "know" what percent of guide (hence its relevance) those non slabbed, mid graders go for (thumbs u

But that requires mental gymnastics. Granted, it's mental gymnastics we all do, but wouldn't it be nice if the OPG said something was worth $70 in X grade, that it actually SOLD for around $70 in X grade....? You know, like it used to do in the 70's and 80's?

Is that so much to ask?

I wonder why Tom Gordon left Overstreet for CPG... hm

For Overstreet to add a RED color for dropped prices, and Green ink for price increases/grade would make it a much more insightful read. Then keeping black ink for prices that have remained the same. Of course, that would mean that Gemstone would have to increase their printing costs by adding an extra 2 colors to the printing process, and pass the expense onto us, the purchasers of the book.

I think the OPG is trying to correct it's prices each year by increasing the spread between NM- and G. Though sometimes it seems they are taking a stab at the spreads. Not all spreads are the same, especially between Gold, Silver and Bronze, and key vs non-key. If a high demand book is scarce in both high and low grades, then perhaps the spread should be less (like in the old days), but on common books the spreads keep increasing, which to collectors who had previously purchased those books, they should appreciate that the spread increased instead of the value of their book in grade being lowered.

Just a few of my own shmattering thoughts.