• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK X-Men 1

26 posts in this topic

I don't collect DCs. Can you show me a pic as an example?

How do you feel about cover stamps, because in essence that is the only difference between any of the silver/bronze age DC's and their American counterparts?

As a collector, I won't touch a pence copy unless it is severely discounted, and I wouldn't use a pence copy as a permanent book to fill a hole in a run. Nothing against our dear British friends, but there's just not enough of As a collector, I won't touch a pence copy unless it is severely discounted, and I wouldn't use a pence copy as a permanent book to fill a hole in a run. Nothing against our dear British friends, but there's just not enough of a consensus in the marketplace about their liquidity for me to pay full cents value for a pence copy, and the pence price looks strange to me.

for me to pay full cents value for a pence copy, and the pence price looks strange to me.

Are you speaking as a collector or an investor? Generally pence copies can be had for a much better price than the cents equivalent so from a collecting point of view I think they are a great bargain. If you are buying cheaper books for your personal collection, why the big concern about there not being 'enough of a consensus in the marketplace about their liquidity'? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I am a collector who, like most collectors, views his comics as both a joy to own and a solid, long-term investment. I haven't sold a comic in ten years, but I would be lying if I said I never plan to sell them. I don't think that "collector" and "investor" are mutually exclusive terms. "Collector" and "speculator," on the other hand, yes, those *can be* (not "definitely are") mutually exclusive terms, at least where a specific genre is concerned. I am not a speculator, though I am not above hoarding nice copies of a particular book to use as trade bait.

I don't usually buy cheaper books for my collection (aside from random runs of books from series that I don't collect but that I want to read) nor generally will I buy non-readers in VF- or lower condition. With a few exceptions of older comics I want to read, like Detective 168, where I would gladly take a presentable G/VG copy, I am pretty picky about grade both from an aesthetic perspective and from an investment perspective.

The pence copies, as I have said, just seem to me to have too many people who don't want them. (This is not a scientific study; it's just my general perception over the last couple of years, and frankly, I haven't paid all that much attention to it.) But in a hobby where a 1/32 spine tic can change the grade of a NM/MT book by .2 (and knock $3,000 off the auction price) or where one small hit of color touch can change a $100,000 book into a $25,000 book, the last thing that I'd want to do is spend a lot of money on a comic that a good portion of the hobby considers less marketable than the "real thing."

As a collector, I won't touch a pence copy unless it is severely discounted, and I wouldn't use a pence copy as a permanent book to fill a hole in a run. Nothing against our dear British friends, but there's just not enough of As a collector, I won't touch a pence copy unless it is severely discounted, and I wouldn't use a pence copy as a permanent book to fill a hole in a run. Nothing against our dear British friends, but there's just not enough of a consensus in the marketplace about their liquidity for me to pay full cents value for a pence copy, and the pence price looks strange to me.

for me to pay full cents value for a pence copy, and the pence price looks strange to me.

Are you speaking as a collector or an investor? Generally pence copies can be had for a much better price than the cents equivalent so from a collecting point of view I think they are a great bargain. If you are buying cheaper books for your personal collection, why the big concern about there not being 'enough of a consensus in the marketplace about their liquidity'? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I certainly can understand your opinion, i too would probably be very hesitant when purchasing any Marvel comics due to the fact that i don't think the concept that these are identical issues with just the cents price switched over to a Pence price at the end of the printing process, will go away any time soon.

On the other hand i would be more confident about buying DC's, especially as cover marks off all different types are widely accepted in certain grades and even many pedigree collections have some sort of distinguishing mark on the cover. Maybe if all the Americans started viewing any DC comic with a T & P stamp as a huge. huge pedigree collection, it might appeal more grin.gif.