• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Just Certified a Second New Mutants 98 in 9.9

452 posts in this topic

came home with this:

And I spent less than $12k.

And does it burn...?

Mine doesn't, but if yours does, I recommend you see a doctor.

If you've got 12k burning a hole in your pocket.....go to Vegas for the weekend and enjoy yourself. :headbang:

I went to Vegas last weekend, took the girlfriend (paid for her airfare), gambled a little, drank, ate, saw a show, went to the Pinball Hall of Fame, and came home with this:

Batman1-1.jpg

A weekend in Vegas,Gambling,a show and a Batman #1 for under 12K. :applause:

Now thats what I call money well spent. (thumbs u

I think it's pretty ridiculous that one cannot make a declarative statement on the foolishness of an obviously foolish purchase.

And so, people will say "it made him happy, what's the big deal?" And to that, I say, "If spending 400 times the going rate for a book - because it is temporarily unique in the cohort, and because you get to be the first person to own such a book - well, then, maybe your priorities are completely out of whack. Give your money to the ASPCA and do something decent with it."

But of course, all of this is just my opinion, and in the world of people who are defending this purchase, that makes everything I've said above immutable and unarguable. So, yay me

I agree. Why can't an action on the fringes of the bell curve of reasonable be questioned? Beer wallet or champagne wallet, we've all seen examples of what happens when people pay big money for the sole highest graded CGC bronze/copper book. We've also seen SCS and the arbitrary difference between a 9.8 and 9.9. As a result, most of us have labelled this a foolish purchase.

If you've got 12k burning a hole in your pocket.....go to Vegas for the weekend and enjoy yourself. :headbang:

I went to Vegas last weekend, took the girlfriend (paid for her airfare), gambled a little, drank, ate, saw a show, went to the Pinball Hall of Fame, and came home with this:

Batman1-1.jpg

A weekend in Vegas,Gambling,a show and a Batman #1 for under 12K. :applause:

Now thats what I call money well spent. (thumbs u

Indeed (thumbs u

Do you think that you're going to be paying more for sweet Xela books, now that two GA giants have hit the $1m mark? Or to make it even more close to home, do you think that if I bought that 9.6 Boston copy of Doom Patrol 113 that's been on ComicLink for over two years at a price roughly 4x market, it would give you greater appreciation for hard to find Star comics?

This book - to me - serves no real purpose in the market insofar as valuation is concerned. It's the outlier's outlier

I disagree entirely. Anytime I seriously contemplate paying a crazy price for a tough book I want, I'll just remember this entire thread and think "well, it could've been worse...I could be the guy that paid $12k for a common-as-dirt modern." lol

Do you think that you're going to be paying more for sweet Xela books, now that two GA giants have hit the $1m mark? Or to make it even more close to home, do you think that if I bought that 9.6 Boston copy of Doom Patrol 113 that's been on ComicLink for over two years at a price roughly 4x market, it would give you greater appreciation for hard to find Star comics?

This book - to me - serves no real purpose in the market insofar as valuation is concerned. It's the outlier's outlier

I disagree entirely. Anytime I seriously contemplate paying a crazy price for a tough book I want, I'll just remember this entire thread and think "well, it could've been worse...I could be the guy that paid $12k for a common-as-dirt modern." lol

I too will remember this thread Jive,words to live by. (thumbs u

Oh holy lol

Touché, brother

I automatically assume that anybody who spends that kind of money on that kind of book has enough money for that purchase to essentially be a drop in the bucket for them. Why they did it is of no matter to me. For all I know Bill Gates bought the darn thing. I'd be hard pressed to call him an insufficiently_thoughtful_person by standard definitions.

I don't care who bought it or why. If they did so to show off, so what I say. I have no problem with anyone showing off. Your money, your life, do with it as you will.

The only thing that bugs me is that I wasn't the seller. Other than that, meh....who gives a .

And, of course, using that same logic, just as it's perfectly ok for this person to do whatever they want, as it's their money, it's also perfectly alright for others to comment on how ridiculous said puchase was, as that is their right.

See? It all works out well.

:cloud9:

If I had a nickel for every time I thought that, Sean, i'd have enough to buy a copy of New Mutants 98 in 9.9 at today's market price

To be able to compliment and insult in the same post . . . :cloud9:

If I had a nickel for every time Sean wishes he'd posted what I did, I'd have enough money to buy a sweeeet 8.5 Wally the Wizard #3.

(thumbs u

came home with this:

And does it burn...?

Mine doesn't, but if yours does, I recommend you see a doctor.

If my Batman #1 was burning, I'd think three things, in rapid succession:

"Holy %S!#^!, my Batman #1 is on fire!!"

"Holy *&@!^#!, where'd I get a Batman #1!!??"

"Holy ^@%!, someone's gonne be pissed when they find out I let their Batman #1 go up in flames!!"

(thumbs u

It looks like CGC has softened their standards for the 9.9. This is a major problem with investing in the uber high grades. If the company softens their standards, then you get screwed. Well at least we still have 10.0's that are still tuff to get.

It looks like CGC has softened their standards for the 9.9. This is a major problem with investing in the uber high grades. If the company softens their standards, then you get screwed. Well at least we still have 10.0's that are still tuff to get.

This sounds like complete speculation - are you basing this statement on something concrete?

This sounds like complete speculation - are you basing this statement on something concrete?

And how would you even tell? The defects on a 9.9 vs 9.8 are pretty difficult to quantify.

No, CGC has not softened their standards for 9.9s.

CGC vigorously protects the brand value of 9.9s and 10s by not handing them out, even when statistically and conditionally appopriate.

9.8s, on the other hand, are handed out like Reese's peanut butter cups on Halloween.

Don't believe me? Check this out:

General Statistics

Issues: 92,806 (+877)

Submissions: 1,447,180 (+16,180)

Universal: 1,328,187 (+14,019)

Restored: 24,717 (+242)

Qualified: 15,590 (+131)

Signature: 78,686 (+1,788)

CGC 10.0s: 1,631 (+7)

CGC 9.9s: 6,509 (+50)

CGC 9.8s: 407,429 (+5,649)

CGC 9.6s: 240,747 (+1,974)

CGC 9.4s: 175,704 (+1,236)

CGC 9.2s: 98,137 (+732)

CGC 9.0s: 80,069 (+719)

"But", you might say, "don't subs from the 2000's make up 1/2 of all 9.8s, and don't you, yourself, pre-screen at 9.8,.because 9.6s and lower moderns are generally worthless?"

Yes.

But, as the beneficiary of occasional "gift" 9.8 grades (and the witness of many more), I can say without bias that there are many 9.8 slabs that DO NOT contain 9.8 books...but there are very, very few 9.9 and 10 slabs that do not contain 9.9 and 10 books. The reason moderns aren't worth slabbing in 9.6 or lower is because of the loose grading of 9.8s, which has flooded the market with them and subsequently driven down all other prices before them.

(as totally irrelevant aside, did anyone notice that, prior to 3/1/2010, there were only FOUR 9.8s from the 1930's....but between 3/1 and 4/12, SEVEN additional 9.8s showed up...? Freaky!)

As someone who has a quite a few Mint books. I can safely say not really.

I remember a time when just about every IDW book got a mint grade. I just submitted this one thinking I was going to get a 9.9 minimum.

DSC010091.jpg

I was wrong. :tonofbricks:

I'm kind of glad because it's going to make my collection of mint books all the more special when it's complete.

No, CGC has not softened their standards for 9.9s.

CGC vigorously protects the brand value of 9.9s and 10s by not handing them out, even when statistically and conditionally appopriate.

9.8s, on the other hand, are handed out like Reese's peanut butter cups on Halloween.

"But", you might say, "don't subs from the 2000's make up 1/2 of all 9.8s, and don't you, yourself, pre-screen at 9.8,.because 9.6s and lower moderns are generally worthless?"

Yes.

But, as the beneficiary of occasional "gift" 9.8 grades (and the witness of many more), I can say without bias that there are many 9.8 slabs that DO NOT contain 9.8 books...but there are very, very few 9.9 and 10 slabs that do not contain 9.9 and 10 books. The reason moderns aren't worth slabbing in 9.6 or lower is because of the loose grading of 9.8s, which has flooded the market with them and subsequently driven down all other prices before them.

Good points. Quote trimmed for brevity.

I think there is some data bias in that experienced collectors know that 9.6 post 1980 isn't worth slabbing, and so prescreen to 9.8. Unfortunately, you're right in that many books in 9.8 holders are somewhat questionable.