• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Just Certified a Second New Mutants 98 in 9.9

452 posts in this topic

dill i understand everything you have said. i read the whole thread. the only thing i dont understand is that three times you have stated it was your last post yet you keep coming back?

I also understand your viewpoint and agree with it to a degree.

I paid $75 for a gold Lethal Protector and thought I got a good deal in the day. Nobody made fun of me but I will die with that book because it turned me into a speculator and I dont want to forget that. It took me a few years to get back to my roots and now Im a collector again.

That $75.00 probably hurt but I would not "make fun of you" for paying that much whenever it was that you bought it. If you had paid $7500 then yes, I would give you a hard time and probably "make fun of you" because that would be, to put it nicely, absolutely asinine.

Someone who is playing in the high grade market of CGC books should have enough sense not to pay $12k for that NM 98 in 9.9 . A little research is going to turn up the high probability that there are going to be a few more 9.9's coming down the pike. Spending $12K on a comic book is all fine and dandy but doing it because you are not patient enough to wait for the inevitable next one to show up is shortsighted at the very least.

You can sift through this thread and find a lot of good reasoning behind why people are ridiculing this purchase and it is not just everyone pointing and laughing.

Dill thank you for breaking that down for me. lol As far as the topic at hand. I learned in the 90's that if you just wait on the new stuff that is out now to cool down they give it away. Most of the people who chase it will be after the next " hot new thing." At that time you can buy that six month to a year old hot item for 1/4 price.

It still kills me to remember that great new glow in the dark Ghost Rider 15 on the store wall for 75.00. Now if you pay .75 for it you just got took for .50.

I agree with you totally Park. I agree that the purchase of this comic was not a wise decision in our opinion. Is the buyer an insufficiently_thoughtful_person as many have stated? We dont know. Im not saying that this comic is going to be the FF1 in twenty years but what gives us the right to call the buyer names? Yes hes speculating like we all have done. He took a chance but hes not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Obviously hes made enough money to afford to spend it on that book so hes got something going for him. An inheritance or a PHD or something. I give. I cant get my point across. Continue berating him.

Thats the thing dill Nobody was berating the buyer as a person,just the transaction.I really think your not understanding us,your reading our words but not taking it in objectively.It almost seems like it's personal to you.

I agree with you totally Park. I agree that the purchase of this comic was not a wise decision in our opinion. Is the buyer an insufficiently_thoughtful_person as many have stated? We dont know. Im not saying that this comic is going to be the FF1 in twenty years but what gives us the right to call the buyer names? Yes hes speculating like we all have done. He took a chance but hes not an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Obviously hes made enough money to afford to spend it on that book so hes got something going for him. An inheritance or a PHD or something. I give. I cant get my point across. Continue berating him.

Dill,

I think you are getting your point across. :foryou: Obviously anyone with $12,000 to spend on a funny book is (hopefully) not a nose pickin goober that comes up with 17 every time they add 2+2. Intelligent people make idiotic decisions all the time that leave people scratching their heads. Of course it does not mean they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons but that for a few seconds, minutes, etc. their brain stopped working correctly.

Most of the people on these Boards have a ton of knowledge about the market. CGC or raw. With that knowledge, people look at this purchase and are of the opinion that it is an idiotic decision. You have to take most of the comments from people here with a grain of salt just like you would in real life.

I don't think the buyer is a drooling mor0n necessarily but paying $12,000 for that book was just plain dumb. (shrug)

Heres just a couple of quick quotes regarding "The sale and not the buyer" Names withheld to protect the innocent.

The guy was clearly clueless. A fool and his money...

Yup..I think 'fool' probably hits it on the head.

Right, he's not a fool, he's a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point

The fact that he places no value on it does not mean he's playing with a full deck. Actually, as he can't use the item for any purpose, it simply supports the notion that he's a sandwich and a sausage roll short of a good picnic.

the guy who bought the "first" one might not be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but buying that first one was pretty idiotic.

Maybe its just me but I think most of those comments were directed at the buyer and not the transaction. Being from Canada maybe my language skills aint that good. But from what I see you guys are dragging someone over the coals for spending money on comics. If you would like to see customers spend less on your product maybe you could do dutch style auctions in the sales forum. Lets just chase away people with money wanting to invest in this hobby. Lets all write a letter to this guy and tell him what a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed he is and never spend money in this hobby again. Lets tell him that hes crazy and he should put his money into hockey cards or something.

Heres just a couple of quick quotes regarding "The sale and not the buyer" Names withheld to protect the innocent.

The guy was clearly clueless. A fool and his money...

Yup..I think 'fool' probably hits it on the head.

Right, he's not a fool, he's a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point

The fact that he places no value on it does not mean he's playing with a full deck. Actually, as he can't use the item for any purpose, it simply supports the notion that he's a sandwich and a sausage roll short of a good picnic.

the guy who bought the "first" one might not be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but buying that first one was pretty idiotic.

Are you going to make me read through this whole thread?

A fool and his money... Don't you think that was spot on with this book?

I really thought I was trying to give an insightful,objective point of view.I don't sell comic books so maybe I'm looking at it a different way,at a buyer/collectors point of view.I just personally would'nt spend that kind of money on that kind of book,and if asked for my opinion by my fellow board members, would hope I steered them in the right direction. :foryou:

Exactly Oakman.

Understanding WHY this is a bad purchase is one of the benefits of being in a community of collectors like this.

Yes, it sometimes can be harsh.

But it's BAD speculation purchases that chase people out of this hobby, NOT being made fun of.

Hell, most comic collectors are used to being made fun of.

Again I totally agree with the price paid for the sale being wrong. What I dont agree with is the berating of the buyer. Its his choice to pay what he wants for a comic. He may be uninformed or whatever but that does not make him a fool, and insufficiently_thoughtful_person or a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. If you are to condemn this fellow for paying too much for a comic where do you draw the line? What exactly is the correct price for a NM 98? Do we phone Bob Overstreet at home and ask him? The market is what the market is. Just because you or I would not pay it does not mean that its not worth that to someone else. I personally could care less about Walking Dead and wouldnt give it a second look but looking at the buy and sell forums they are selling for obnoxious amounts of money. Its modern and people are paying 75 and 100 bucks a copy. I can get some nice old silver or bronze keys for that. I dont call them stupid or person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. Its their choice. Thats my point.

Exactly Oakman.

Understanding WHY this is a bad purchase is one of the benefits of being in a community of collectors like this.

Yes, it sometimes can be harsh.

But it's BAD speculation purchases that chase people out of this hobby, NOT being made fun of.

Hell, most comic collectors are used to being made fun of.

We do have to watch each others backs :rulez:

Maybe its just me but I think most of those comments were directed at the buyer and not the transaction. Being from Canada maybe my language skills aint that good. But from what I see you guys are dragging someone over the coals for spending money on comics. If you would like to see customers spend less on your product maybe you could do dutch style auctions in the sales forum. Lets just chase away people with money wanting to invest in this hobby. Lets all write a letter to this guy and tell him what a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed he is and never spend money in this hobby again. Lets tell him that hes crazy and he should put his money into hockey cards or something.

No doubt many comments were directed at the buyer. That is where you have to be able to take a lot of these comments with a grain of salt. Throughout this thread you will find a lot of good reasoning behind this purchase being bad for the hobby. I happen to agree that it is not good for the hobby.

If this buyer truly thought that this book would increase in value over time, either through his/her own lack of research or being misguided by someone, how peeved do you think he/she is right now? Any money they were going to put into this hobby is now going somewhere else because they just took it in the shorts big time. In the long term, new money being burned means more and more people spending their money elsewhere.

If the buyer was educated in the market and just didn't give a rusty fudge if it was a good value or not, I don't think anything said on this board is going to matter to them. It still skews the realistic market for this book but then we are back to actually having knowledge of the market before dropping $12000.

Every thread around this place has smart comments. On the whole this place has a lot of really smart people here. There are a lot of really funny people here too. After those 5 people, you have 10000 other goofballs that post this :kidaround::headbang:

Don't miss the forest for the trees...or something like that. :)

Again I totally agree with the price paid for the sale being wrong. What I dont agree with is the berating of the buyer. Its his choice to pay what he wants for a comic. He may be uninformed or whatever but that does not make him a fool, and insufficiently_thoughtful_person or a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. If you are to condemn this fellow for paying too much for a comic where do you draw the line? What exactly is the correct price for a NM 98? Do we phone Bob Overstreet at home and ask him? The market is what the market is. Just because you or I would not pay it does not mean that its not worth that to someone else. I personally could care less about Walking Dead and wouldnt give it a second look but looking at the buy and sell forums they are selling for obnoxious amounts of money. Its modern and people are paying 75 and 100 bucks a copy. I can get some nice old silver or bronze keys for that. I dont call them stupid or person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point. Its their choice. Thats my point.

O.K. dill you win,you wore me down.I really don't give a rats who the buyer is,but you seem to be stuck in this broken record.I give,throw my hands in the air and throw in the towel.

By the way one last thing on this subject.We are not talking about a 100.00 book,thats a tad bit easier to justify than a Twelve Thousand Dollar book.

Someone refresh my memory. Both the buyer and seller posted in the original thread, right?

I am pretty sure the seller did and is a board member. I don't know about the buyer. (shrug)

Again I totally agree Park. But smart people dont call other people retards on a public forum. If we have any kind of thing going here we would offer to educate rather than name call. My point has nothing to do with the sale, its the fact this is a public site with a ton of so called professionals calling people names. As you can see by my post count I am mainly a lurker. It usually takes a lot to drag me out and this kind of behaviour by this caliber of people really annoys me.