• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Just Certified a Second New Mutants 98 in 9.9

452 posts in this topic

I just sent in two. Is there a way to check where it came from?

Yes. If you go to the census and turn off all the lights in your room. Then place a diaper (preferably clean) on your head. While typing the census information in, shine a blacklight on the screen. When the information pops up, the blacklight will show a small indicator of what region of the country the submission came from. Godspeed.

4!!!!!!!!

That's 4 money shots in one night!!!!

:applause:

I'll ignore the blatant sentence fragment, and ask "is the diaper supposed to cover your face, or just sit on top of your head?"

You can make the call. Either one will work equally well.

the guy who bought the "first" one might not be an idiot, but buying that first one was pretty idiotic.

i don't buy into the concept that we, as a collection of ostensibly well-informed comic book collectors can never make a judgment on a relatively stupid, stupid, stupid comic purchase. i don't know where the tipping point is between "silly" and "stupid" but i do know that buying a copper age Marvel key in 9.9 for $12k is well afield into the latter

The single most expensive comic book published between 1985 and 2010 is a ROB LIEFELD book...

Yeah.

Pretty dumb.

Fixed that for yah! :cool:

Try again.

While the Turtles #1 9.8 would most assuredly sell for more, until it does, it remains theoretical.

the guy who bought the "first" one might not be an idiot, but buying that first one was pretty idiotic.

i don't buy into the concept that we, as a collection of ostensibly well-informed comic book collectors can never make a judgment on a relatively stupid, stupid, stupid comic purchase. i don't know where the tipping point is between "silly" and "stupid" but i do know that buying a copper age Marvel key in 9.9 for $12k is well afield into the latter

The single most expensive comic book published between 1985 and 2010 is a ROB LIEFELD book...

Yeah.

Pretty dumb.

Try again.

While the Turtles #1 9.8 would most assuredly sell for more, until it does, it remains theoretical.

That field has been plowed in the last several weeks and you are on the wrong end of the plow.

4. He independently wealthy and doesn't need to sell the book and owns it most likely just because he's a fan and it's prestigious to own the top of the top.

Except, a 9.9 copy of New Mutants 98 is not the "top of the top". Its now just another 9.9, which will likely have more company as the years go by, and will likely be bested by a 10.0 or two.

Besides, you clearly fail to grasp what makes the Mile High Action # 1 so special....its not only the nicest known copy of the most important book not only in our hobby, but as an iconic piece of pop culture representing the entire 20th century, it also doesn't have TENS of THOUSANDS of other copies out there in 9.8, 9.6, 9.4, etc. etc. etc. to minimize and dilute its importance.

The only thing that makes a 9.9 NM 98 special is the little number in the upper left corner, and the foolishness of what that number means to the sucker willing to shell out significant money for it over an equally sharp 9.8 copy.

Amen.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 is worth a lot of money in low grade...

NM #98 isn't worth the paper in low grade. A common book with horrible art and a decently cool character. Modern key issue maybe...but I just can't see why people do what they do. The difference in price for a 9.8 of a common modern and a 9.9 is completely absurd. I love CGC but this is buying a book for the label and manufactured rarity.

EDIT: I'm not saying CGC manipulated anything. Sorry if it came off that way. Their job is to grade the book and they do a great job at doing that. It's just this market and the type of collectors out there that do very weird things.

What year and how much did the Dentist allegedly pay for his Action 1?

I seriously hope you aren't trying to draw a comparison between the two....

Well these things I've gathered about The Dentist.

A. He's never going to sell his Action 1

B. He paid a ridiculous amount of money for it at the time that he bought it

False.

He paid $25,000 for it in 1982, according to the seller, whom we all know was Chuck. That was a little more than DOUBLE guide. I know people who would give their eye teeth to pay double guide for this book.

And no, double guide was NOT a "ridiculous amount of money" even in 1982.

C. He's not going to have it slabbed.

D. He independently wealthy and doesn't need to sell the book and owns it most likely just because he's a fan and it's prestigious to own the top of the top.

Similarities to the original 9.9 NM 98.

1. The buyer didn't sound like he was in a hurry to re-sell it.

2. He paid a ridiculous amount of money for it at the time that he bought it.

Your analogy fails in so many ways, but here's where it fails the most. The "ridiculous amount of money" paid for this book was 2,450 times Guide (2008.) What was the ridiculous amount of money paid FOR?

The number on the slab. Nothing more. Nothing less.

There are maybe...MAYBE...10 people on this board who could point out the difference between that 9.9 and 50 strong 9.8s. 10 people MAYBE. And the difference may be smaller than this period ----> .

The Action #1 sold for double guide because it was the finest known copy of the most important comic book ever published.

The New Mutants #98 CC 9.9 sold for 2,450 times guide because of the number on the label.

Best known copy of the most important comic book ever published...versus a number on a label....

hm

Yeah.

Pretty dumb.

Try again.

That field has been plowed in the last several weeks and you are on the wrong end of the plow.

Say that again, only using 21st century English.

The single most expensive comic book published between 1983 and 2010 is a ROB LIEFELD book...

Yeah.

Pretty dumb.

Telerites' TMNT is worth more than that book.

In theory. I'm sure, if it were sold, it would be a $30K+ book.

Until he sells it, however, it remains theoretical.

New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 has an actual sale attached to it.

Data always trumps theory. Always.

The single most expensive comic book published between 1983 and 2010 is a ROB LIEFELD book...

Yeah.

Pretty dumb.

Telerites' TMNT is worth more than that book.

In theory. I'm sure, if it were sold, it would be a $30K+ book.

Until he sells it, however, it remains theoretical.

New Mutants #98 CGC 9.9 has an actual sale attached to it.

Data always trumps theory. Always.

Don't let SOT see that post. :gossip:

I just sent in two. Is there a way to check where it came from?

Yes. If you go to the census and turn off all the lights in your room. Then place a diaper (preferably clean) on your head. While typing the census information in, shine a blacklight on the screen. When the information pops up, the blacklight will show a small indicator of what region of the country the submission came from. Godspeed.

lol lol lol You're not well. You know that right?

I sympathize for the person who just plunked down for the "one and only" 9.9.

Why?

The guy was clearly clueless. A fool and his money...

"“A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place.”

I sympathize for the person who just plunked down for the "one and only" 9.9.

Why?

The guy was clearly clueless. A fool and his money...

"“A fool and his money are lucky enough to get together in the first place.”

...I kinda like that. hm

:takeit: pending a powerball jackpot win tonight.

Once this sweet deal goes through, I'll be buying up every 9.9 and 10.0 I can find. It came unsolicited as an email in my hotmail account. That means it has to be legit right? RIGHT????

Dear Intending Partner,

I sincerely hope that this letter will not come to you

as a surprise or an embarrassment since we neither

know each other before nor have had any previous

correspondence. Let me start by introducing myself,

I am Mr. Urs Morgenthaler, Chief Financial Officer

and Managing Director of the operations of

Arab Bank (Switzerland) Ltd. I have a secured

business proposal for you;

Before the U.S and Iraqi war, our client,

General Hassan Umara, who was with the

Iraqi forces and also a business man, made

a numbered fixed deposit for 18 calendar

months, with a value of US$85,000,000.00 in

my branch. Upon maturity, several notices was

sent to him. Again after the war another notification

was sent and still no response came from him. We

later found out that General Hassan Umara and his

family had been killed during the war in a bomb blast

that hit their home. After further investigation it was

also discovered that General Hassan Umara did not

declare any next of kin in his official documentations

including the paper work of his bank deposit. And he

also confided in me the last time he was at my office

that no one knew of his deposit in my bank.

So, US$85,000,000.00 is still lying in my bank

and no one will ever come forward to claim it.

What bothers me most is that according to the

laws of my country at the expiration of Seven (7) years,

the funds will revert to the ownership of the Switzerland

Government if nobody comes forward to claim the funds.

Against this backdrop, my suggestion to you is that

I will like you as a foreigner to stand as the next of

kin to Gen. Hassan Umara so that you will be able

to receive his funds.

WHAT IS TO BE DONE:

I want you to know that I have had everything planned

out so that we shall come out successful. I have

contacted a will & probate attorney that will prepare

the necessary legal documents that will back you up

as the next of kin to Gen. Hassan Umara, all that is

required from you at this stage is for you to provide me

with your Full Names and Address so that the attorney

can commence his job. After you have been made the

next of kin, the attorney will also file in for claims on

your behalf and secure the necessary approval and

letter of probate in your favor for the move of the

funds to an account that will be provided by you.

There is no risk involved at all in the matter as we

are going to adopt a legalized method and the

attorney will prepare all necessary legal documents.

Please endeavor to observe utmost discretion in

all matters concerning this issue. Once the funds

have been transferred to your nominated bank

account, we shall share in the ratio of 60% for me

and 40% for you. Should you be interested, please

send me the following information below:

Full Names

Current Residential Address

Country of Origin

I prefer you reach me only on my PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESS

below and finally after that, I shall provide you with more

details of this transaction. Your earliest response to this

letter will be highly appreciated.

Email: ursmorgenthaler55@kimo.com

Kind Regards,

Mr. Urs Morgenthaler.

:P

This is the latest "Nigerian" scam. It is so rampant that the Bars in Canada and America have sent out alerts.

:eek: Nigerians are a crafty bunch.

A little more info about the Nigerian scam,I use to laugh about it until I found out by watching America`s Most Wanted that the guy who started is from Nigeria and a college grad from Nigeria,he came over here to the US and made over a million dollars,this shows there are a lot of gullable people and the sad thing was he gotaway with it, he took off back to Nigeria and now is on America`s Most Wanted .