• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I saw Kick A$$ tonight...

151 posts in this topic

and re the studio/gross profit thing.

I've talked a lot to one of the producers behind a film last year called 'Moon'

this film had approx a $5m budget, and it's US box office take was $5m.

Sony (the distributors) were VERY happy with it's box office take, as they knew it would make a lot more money on Disc, and viewed the box office run as a type of advertising.

It helped of course that it was a very good film, and generated very positive word of mouth (not quite as polarising as Kick seems to be though)

It has very positive word of mouth,

Apparently not. "Dragon" had very positive word of mouth, which is why it has had such good staying power.

and will sell very well on DVD/Bluray.

Already factored into all of their projections, along with sales to premium movie channels. It's not like DVD sales are a newly discovered source of income. I'm sure right now they're revising their initial DVD sale projections downward.

Sony (the distributors) were VERY happy with it's box office take, as they knew it would make a lot more money on Disc, and viewed the box office run as a type of advertising.

It helped of course that it was a very good film, and generated very positive word of mouth (not quite as polarising as Kick seems to be though)

Apples and oranges. "Moon" was a small budget indie movie, and a British movie to boot. Not exactly recipes for success in the US movie market. Breaking even, let alone making a profit, is pure bonus for a movie like that.

"KA" was a highly commercial, medium budget flick with a big marketing budget. Totally different expectations as to what constitutes "success". I can guarantee you no one in Hollywood associated with this movie is walking around giving high fives for its commercial performance.

It has very positive word of mouth, and will sell very well on DVD/Bluray.

...and that's what helped Lethal Weapon and Austin Powers(two $50-60 million under performers) become mega-successes on VHS/DVD, that in turn led to high grossing sequels. (thumbs u

Apples and oranges. "Moon" was a small budget indie movie, and a British movie to boot. Not exactly recipes for success in the US movie market. Breaking even, let alone making a profit, is pure bonus for a movie like that.

"KA" was a highly commercial, medium budget flick with a big marketing budget. Totally different expectations as to what constitutes "success". I can guarantee you no one in Hollywood associated with this movie is walking around giving high fives for its commercial performance.

or talking about a sequel anymore

The film will be profitable. People will make money on this film. Not mega millions, but it's made close to 60 million worldwide, so far.

People enjoy the movie and it's received very good reviews. DVD sales will be quite good and if they are outstanding, there could then be a sequel.

"The important thing to remember here is that the film was actually a success at the box office. It wasn’t a huge success, it wasn’t the kind of success that people preached about, but based purely on the numbers, the film is in the money."

The box office performance reminds me of Watchmen from last year. The hardcore comic fans lined up and saw it during the first weekend, but not many others did. This caused a great week 1 and a steep dropoff in week 2. How did the Watchmen do overall?

Well, I just read the mini series for the first time.

It was pretty original and for a long time comic geek it was a fun read from that perspective.

Not sure how I feel about it over all...still letting it sink in.

Still likely not going to see the movie.

hm