• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

top ten silver

192 posts in this topic

I'm not so hip to Shakespeare's Macbeth as I am to Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury...but I did a whole class and ultimately broke down the book and wrote several papers on the Faulkner and that book is a mind-f*@&! Just loved that book after I re-read it about 3 or 4 times... :tonofbricks:

:headbang:

It was mind blowing. I think I read it 3 or 4 times, but I did that by re-reading each paragraph 3 or 4 times to figure out what was going on. :tonofbricks:

Now Light in August was an equally wonderful book that was an easy read...

Before say 1967 DCs were truly aiming at a younger audience. As well, the marketing plan seemed to be: find an outrageous cover image that will entice the kids to buy the issue, then create whatever outlandish scenario is required to resolve that hook inside the comic. Logic was optional, character development was irrelevent. And-- as has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread-- that marketing plan led to apparent commercial success for many many years, if sales figures can be believed.

Character development was definitely non-existent. It just wasn't a goal at all (which was true of almost all comics prior to the Marvel Age).

As far as logic being optional, I'd say it was more that believability was optional. You have to credit DC with going to extreme lengths to attempt to maintain the internal "logic" of their stories, as evidenced by the constant stilted explanations of events by characters, or in editorial asides. This led to letters pages full of readers' attempts to catch the writers in errors, and the editors rebutting those attempts with even more creative (and often tongue-in-cheek) explanations of the "logic" of the stories events. A lot of this was unbelievable, but there was a heroic attempt to make sure that everything "made sense."

Marvel kept up the tradition, but had more fun with it with by even more tongue-in-cheek rebuttals and grudginly awarded "no prizes."

Here's the list of top 10 books based on NM- price from the 2009 Overstreet.

AF15

FF 1

SC 4

ASM 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

SC 8

TOS 39

Flash 105

I'm sure SC 22 has jumped into the top 10 on this list since then.

AF15

FF 1

SC 4

ASM 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

SC 8

TOS 39

Flash 105

You still have your copy right John? Would it be on your top 10 or 20?

AF15

FF 1

SC 4

ASM 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

SC 8

TOS 39

Flash 105

Yes, still have mine. I definitely think it's a top ten book, but then I like DCs even more than Marvel. :)

If anyone has the 2010 guide it would be cool to see an update. I assume that's been published by now...

AF15

FF 1

SC 4

ASM 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

SC 8

TOS 39

Flash 105

Yes, still have mine. I definitely think it's a top ten book, but then I like DCs even more than Marvel. :)

If anyone has the 2010 guide it would be cool to see an update. I assume that's been published by now...

Looks like the 2010 will be late and should be out late July. (thumbs u

AF15

FF 1

SC 4

ASM 1

Hulk 1

X-men 1

JIM 83

SC 8

TOS 39

Flash 105

Looks like the 2010 will be late and should be out late July. (thumbs u

I think BB #28 should be tied for #10 at least.

9.0 - OLD CGC label. I'm thinking of sending it in for the new label. Took a long time, I think 3 years to track it down. I had a 5.0 and a 8.0.

CGC # is 0008938001

Very nice copy and very difficult to locate in 8.5+. (thumbs u

Thanks. Here it is.

SC90.jpg

9.0 - OLD CGC label. I'm thinking of sending it in for the new label. Took a long time, I think 3 years to track it down. I had a 5.0 and a 8.0.

CGC # is 0008938001

Very nice copy and very difficult to locate in 8.5+. (thumbs u

Thanks. Here it is.

SC90.jpg

Nice James Bond! (thumbs u