• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poor Richard's Boston Comic Con Report and Alamanac

102 posts in this topic

I should also mention GAC was kind enough to field calls from the missus when Mr. Pickles reached the end of his patience and started to melt down, since my phone had no signal in the room.

Which also reminds me - Mike, Larry had a daughter-father dance to attend and left before you arrived.

Here's another I've been wanting in higher grade, but Patrick (Comically Speaking) made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

TTA64.jpg

That's it for now. Despite the problems with the line, it looked like a pretty successful show that's grown a LOT since it started not long ago. I don't think we've ever had a show of this size with a guest list like this one in Boston before. If it keeps going in this direction, I'll bet it'll be on par with some of the better national shows before long.

I'm blanking on Dave's last name, but he always has the goods. Unfortunately, I missed most of them today; Harley beat me to it. :cry:

BCCdave.jpg

hm Is Dave the guy on the left? He works/worked at That's Entertainment.

Worst dinner picture ever?

BCCDinner.jpg

L-R:

Hotflips, GACollectibles, LovintheSurfer, Danimal, MT100, Universal Soldier, Hotflips.

lol I seem to be quite amazed with my finger

I'm going to hijack this thread instead of starting another.

This was really a great show and I'm looking forward to the next one already. Amazing turnout from what I saw on Saturday.

I decided Saturday morning that I wouldn't rush in and took the later commuter rail in as the station is only one mile from my house. South Station is only a 10 minute brisk walk away from the convention so it was no-brainer for me to come in this way rather than fight the traffic and pay for parking. I arrived at about 1 PM figuring that 4 hours would be enough time to browse and make well informed and planned purchases. What I didn't anticipate was having to wait outside in the wind and cold for 2 hours. I did end up talking with a guy in line who ended up knowing GACollectibles. Nice guy who was there to get a bunch of stuff signed and it made the waiting at least bearable. The other highlight of the waiting in line was the girl in costume that was interviewing people. It became a game of me trying to discretely time my photo taking with the wind blowing up the back flaps of her skirt. She must have been quite cold as all she was wearing underneath was a thong. :cloud9:

I finally made my way inside about 3 PM and meet up with Danimal, LovinTheSurfer and mt1000. A quick confirmation of later plans and then it was off to the races.

First stop was Superworld where I grabbed a nice copy of ASM #44 which officialy puts me at #27 to current on my run and only 18 to go. I also grabbed a nice high grade MTU #7 at the same time. After a quick stop and purchase at ckb's booth I did my best to bargain hunt for some good deals on some moderns and found some out there. Managed to pick up one of the two higher numbered Walking Dead's that I was missing (#56, but #39 continues to elude me) and a bunch of early issues of Fables in the 6 - 20 range for $1 each. Another score was rumaging through Mr. Pontoons junk and low and behold he had the exact issues I needed to complete my Miller run of Daredevil. Unexpected bonus. Andy (GACollectibles) had a nice high grade Conan #15 that grabbed and I rounded out my day with a quick trip to HotFlips for 100 each half backs and mylite+'s to tide me over until I can place an order and then off to silverandbronze for a few Toon Tumblers. I tried to make it back over to see bedrockcomics but just ran out of time.

I had the pleasure of finally meeting KingOfRulers and introduced myself to Roy. If time wasn't so pressed It would have been nice to have a longer conversation with both of them. After reading this and g-man's thread it seems there was a lot of other boardies at the con as well. It is definitely a good thing if this convention is starting to draw the attention of dealers and collectors from outside the area.

Dinner was fun although I really thought the turnout would have been better. (shrug) We'll try again next time. It was a ton of fun though,I drank beer and Andy made me tell embarrassing stories.

I ended up having a very worthwhile show.

The 20-somethings are just astounded when they see the Valiant Nintendo and Captain N stuff. I cannot believe how many Nintendo books I sold, including a bunch to other dealers. It must have been about 100. Why do I have 100 Nintendo books? That's for another post....

Anyway, my basic stock was getting a bit tired so I capped the books I have priced at under $15 at $2. I was hoping to sell a bit more but I did clear 3-4 long boxes of DC/Silver and Bronze. Seemed to work well except for the confusing pricing.

Customer 1: Hey, this is marked $12.

Me: It costs $2 today.

Customer 1: What?

Me: Everything is $2 today no matter what it's marked.

Customer 2: How about this book with $10 on the back?

Me: It's $2. Try to get me to charge you more than $2 for a book from these boxes. You will fail.

Customer 1: Even this one with the green dot on the back? The sign says the green dots are $0.50.

Me: The stuff priced less than $2 is still less than $2.

Customer 1 & 2: Whoa.

Repeat 55 times and you get the picture. :)

Lots of small sales, Marvel and DC bronze. The $0.12 books in the cheap boxes, readers of course, went quickly as people came across them. Sold much more pre-unity Valiant than I expected. A couple runs of Solar, Magnus and Rai. My Gold Key and Dell boxes saw a lot of traffic - they had the same pricing in effect as the Marvels and DCs -super cheap. Lots of casual fans looking for cool stuff. A number of small Golden Age sales to that effect as well.

My "classic" story from the con was right at the end as I was packing up. I had emptied my wall of everything except a low grade Avengers 1 priced at $300 which I left up by accident. At least a dozen people had "kicked the tires" on it for the last two days.

Harley Yee is passing by with a hand truck of boxes, spots it, and Mr. Eagle Eye asks to see it. Looks at it through the mylar and asks if I have any room on it. My reply is I'm stuck on $300. Harley thanks me and goes back to his hand truck. He gets about 5 steps pushing the truck, turns around and comes back, asks for the book back, takes it out and counts pages, pays me the $300 and goes back to cart pushing.

Mark Nathan was set up across from me and he's soaking this all in, and says something like "Harley, you only got 5 steps away!". The unflappable Mr. Yee ignored this jest and continued along.

The book was actually owned by board member "silverandbronze", and I had it on my wall as a favor since it doesn't present as well with Toon Tumblers. :)

CKB! I think this photo came out okay:

BCCCKB.jpg

Didn't realize this was CKB.

doh!

I never did make it back. Just not enough time in the day on Sat.

:foryou:

Harley Yee is passing by with a hand truck of boxes, spots it, and Mr. Eagle Eye asks to see it. Looks at it through the mylar and asks if I have any room on it. My reply is I'm stuck on $300. Harley thanks me and goes back to his hand truck. He gets about 5 steps pushing the truck, turns around and comes back, asks for the book back, takes it out and counts pages, pays me the $300 and goes back to cart pushing.

Mark Nathan was set up across from me and he's soaking this all in, and says something like "Harley, you only got 5 steps away!". The unflappable Mr. Yee ignored this jest and continued along.

The book was actually owned by board member "silverandbronze", and I had it on my wall as a favor since it doesn't present as well with Toon Tumblers. :)

That's the book I wanted to come back for.

lol

Pont, I kept and eye out for you and never did see you.

:(

You should have tapped me on the shoulder when you snapped the pic at Teddie's booth.

That's the book I wanted to come back for.

lol

Yeah, me too. I was thinking about buying it if I didn't spend too much or buy a big book (which I didn't), but then I forgot about it when I sprinted out the door because my 2 year old was having a meltdown and the missus had to call Andy to reach me since my phone wasn't working in there. I emailed silverandbronze when I got home last night but by then it was too late. Dang Harley! lol

Pont, I kept and eye out for you and never did see you.

:(

You should have tapped me on the shoulder when you snapped the pic at Teddie's booth.

I think Andy said hey to you when you walked by but you missed it. I complained a bit earlier about the amount of boardies who kept to themselves but I suppose in this case I'm guilty of the same. In my defense, I was feeling really crappy with a cold and just too pooped to introduce myself. Lou was there too, wasn't she?

Worst dinner picture ever?

BCCDinner.jpg

L-R:

Hotflips, GACollectibles, LovintheSurfer, Danimal, MT100, Universal Soldier, Hotflips.

lol I seem to be quite amazed with my finger

It looks like you are trying to teach hotflips the one-fingered salute. :cool: