• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gem City Con

47 posts in this topic

Yesterday was great. I will say I have never seen more VF- raw books with NM+ price tags on them. It seems like Norman Vincent Peale was responsible for the pricing. The dealers were visualizing the books as they hoped they were, instead of how they really were. :P

The NVP quip is a classic. I love it. Agreed on the prices. But for the few things I picked up, I found the dealers quite willing to negotiate.

All in all, a good day. Seemed to be a larger crowd staying longer into the afternoon. More people really looking and spending. I really enjoyed it.

Yesterday was great. I will say I have never seen more VF- raw books with NM+ price tags on them. It seems like Norman Vincent Peale was responsible for the pricing. The dealers were visualizing the books as they hoped they were, instead of how they really were. :P

But for the few things I picked up, I found the dealers quite willing to negotiate.

This definitely seemed to be the case. But unfortunately it was often a negotiation from "crazy" to "not really a good deal."

I will say I have never seen more VF- raw books with NM+ price tags on them. The dealers were visualizing the books as they hoped they were, instead of how they really were. :P

But for the few things I picked up, I found the dealers quite willing to negotiate.

This definitely seemed to be the case. But unfortunately it was often a negotiation from "crazy" to "not really a good deal."

Like I said..."for the few things..." And I did seem to see lots of buyers buying yesterday. So, I'm wondering, is this grade vs. price issue one of dealers still trying to recover from a bad economy? Or did buyers get so caught up in the emotion of the room that any deal was good...buying just to buy after a year of two of a down turn?

Or have buyers lowered their standards to a point where those VF- grade for NM+ prices don't matter anymore? Trying not to appear condescending, but won't most of us that take the time to really read this board tend to be better informed about grade vs. price compared to the average buyer at a con?

I will say I have never seen more VF- raw books with NM+ price tags on them. The dealers were visualizing the books as they hoped they were, instead of how they really were. :P

Like I said..."for the few things..." And I did seem to see lots of buyers buying yesterday. So, I'm wondering, is this grade vs. price issue one of dealers still trying to recover from a bad economy? Or did buyers get so caught up in the emotion of the room that any deal was good...buying just to buy after a year of two of a down turn?

Or have buyers lowered their standards to a point where those VF- grade for NM+ prices don't matter anymore? Trying not to appear condescending, but won't most of us that take the time to really read this board tend to be better informed about grade vs. price compared to the average buyer at a con?

I don't know, but they are all good questions. I do know that of the stuff I looked at there was some real Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs action: Raw Walking Dead #1 9.4-9.6 $400; CGC'd 8.5 WBN 32 $275; wrecked copies of Next Men 21 and Birds of Prey 8 for huge premiums etc.

OK. Here are some photos.

My girlfriend Sally and I started our drive on Saturday morning. Great weather all weekend.

RedsandGemCity201011.jpg

RedsandGemCity201012.jpg

We got to Cincinnati in time to watch the Cubs beat the Reds. We were rooting for the reds, but it was a good game to watch. 4 homeruns. :banana:

RedsandGemCity201014.jpg

RedsandGemCity201019.jpg

RedsandGemCity201016.jpg

After the game, we kept going for 1 more hour to get to Dayton, which as luck would have it was where I spent a few years growing up. The convention was less than 3 miles from a house I lived in for a while. :)

We met up with AlphaTrion1 and Nina Shinobu for drinks and the UFC fight at a local bar (I don't remember the name.) We played a hangman-type game on the little controller for WAAAAY too long.

RedsandGemCity201034.jpg

Heading to Physical Therapy. I'll get to the show when I get back. :)

On to the show the next day (my birthday :grin: )

Much larger than I was anticipating. It was broken into several rooms. Here's a shot of the Published artist area:

You can see me in this picture right about dead center. My left side is to the camera and you can see my black backpack strap. You can also see Don Rosa partially hidden behind the guy in the black trench coat. Mr. Rosa gave me my only disappointment of the weekend. I guess he has a new rule in place that he won't do any sketches other than standard duck characters (Scrooge, Donald, etc.). I had the idea for him to do a "Duck Ock" sketch out of scrooge with triangle lens glasses and holding a bag of money with one of the tentacles. He liked the idea and said he was going to pitch it to his friend who was looking for ideas like that, but he still wouldn't do it. If the idea does make it's way to a new print, you heard it here first!

RedsandGemCity201037.jpg

Here's the indie room. This was a little small, crowded, and dark. I didn't spend much time in here.

RedsandGemCity201038.jpg

Here's a picture of the gaming room. Didn't go in here at all. RedsandGemCity201042.jpg

Here are a few shots of the dealer room. See if you can spot any boardies:

RedsandGemCity201039.jpg

RedsandGemCity201040.jpg

RedsandGemCity201041.jpg

RedsandGemCity201043.jpg

RedsandGemCity201044.jpg

RedsandGemCity201045.jpg

The show ended at 5 and we headed home after that. Pretty good weekend. :)

My daughters and I were there from opening till lunch. Very busy with a lot of folks rifling through boxes like made. Seemed like a lot of sales but I didn't find much to fill any of my holes.

One of my daughters really likes to draw and is crazy about chatting up the artists. She had a great time and really got her creative juices flowing. My other daughter found a really nice hair band with ribbons. :eyeroll:

Got to meet Buck Biggins and BigMIke for a second time each.Both a great guys. I didn't recognize anyone else but I'm sure I passed you somewhere in the place.